PDA

View Full Version : Advice on plane purchase needed

Joel Goodman
02-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I am asking for advice on my next plane purchase. I have a LN edge plane that I was given but don't really find that useful. Or am I missing something? LN will take it back for credit which gives me an excuse to buy something else from them. Here's my plane collection at present: LN low angle jack, ECE reform smoother; Stanley 9 1/2 block (not USA; newer one but works pretty well) and LV med shoulder. I'm thinking of either LN low angle block or #4 smoother -- or would the rabbet block be a good? Or should I get a LN mortice chisel and or bevel chisel and perhaps a LN blade for the block plane. The only chisels I have are a set or Marples. Thoughts anyone?

Also has anyone put a replacement blade on the ECE? If so whose and how thick? It seems to me that the LN blade takes a better edge and stays sharper longer-- or is it my imagination?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Clint Jones
02-18-2007, 1:09 PM
I believe you should by tools as you need them for the project you're working on. You definately should buy a #4 smoother if you dont have one allready. Sounds like you allready have a block plane but if you want to upgrade go for a LN LA block plane. Hope this helps you out.

Mike Henderson
02-18-2007, 3:07 PM
Get the LN LA block plane. You'll be amazed at how much better it is than an English made Stanley block plane.

Mike

Dan Forman
02-18-2007, 4:56 PM
If you are happy with the ECE smoother, then stay with that. If not, think about the 4 1/2 smoother rather than the 4, and go with the high angle frog for more difficult woods. I would prefer the LV bevel up smoother to the 4 1/2 though. The LN LA block is a NICE plane. The LN chisels, while expensive, would be a significant upgrade from Marples, though AI chisels would be as well, for about half the price of the LN's. IMHO, best bang for the buck would be the LN LA block for your trade, then look at all options for the other things on your list.

Dan

Doug Shepard
02-18-2007, 5:18 PM
What Mike said. I think I've got the same Stanley block plane you do. While it works fairly well, it's not even in the same league as my LN LA block.

Joel Goodman
02-18-2007, 5:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Question are you guys all referring to the Adj mouth LN Low angle or the smaller fixed mouth block planes?

Doug Shepard
02-18-2007, 5:58 PM
Dont know about the others, but I'm referring to the Adjustable Mouth. In case you don't already know about these guys, you'll probably find the best price here: http://www.finetoolj.com/ln/home.html

Mike Cutler
02-18-2007, 8:26 PM
I am asking for advice on my next plane purchase. I have a LN edge plane that I was given but don't really find that useful. Or am I missing something? LN will take it back for credit which gives me an excuse to buy something else from them. Here's my plane collection at present: LN low angle jack, ECE reform smoother; Stanley 9 1/2 block (not USA; newer one but works pretty well) and LV med shoulder. I'm thinking of either LN low angle block or #4 smoother -- or would the rabbet block be a good? Or should I get a LN mortice chisel and or bevel chisel and perhaps a LN blade for the block plane. The only chisels I have are a set or Marples. Thoughts anyone?

Also has anyone put a replacement blade on the ECE? If so whose and how thick? It seems to me that the LN blade takes a better edge and stays sharper longer-- or is it my imagination?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The Edge Plane is a very purpose specific plane, along with the #98 & #99 that LN offers. You won't use it all the time but, It's a nice tool to keep at the ready.
If you're current block plane is working for you, I'd keep it and spend the $$$ on something else. I own the LN-102, and LN-103. MY LN-60 1/2 is still in the box. Something to think about. I'm not getting rid of the 60 1/2 though.:eek:
The other posts are correct though, the LN- 60 1/2 is a very nice plane. You wouldn't go wrong buying one
If you're thinking of the #4, you may want to consider the # 4 1/2. it's just a little bit more plane.
I'd pass on the Rabbet Block plane for now in lieu of the LN-60 1/2. If you need one, you'll know it when the time comes.
My vote is for either a #4 1/2 or the #60 1/2 for a plane, and the bevel chisels for a non plane alternative. Mortise chisels are also somewhat purpose specific. When you need them, you'll know it. Most people will use bench chisels a lot more often than mortise chisels.

Corvin Alstot
02-18-2007, 8:34 PM
If you're current block plane is working for you, I'd keep it and spend the $$$ on something else.
If you're thinking of the #4, you may want to consider the # 4 1/2. it's just a little bit more plane.
I'd pass on the Rabbet Block plane for now in lieu of the LN-60 1/2. My vote is for either a #4 1/2 or the #60 1/2 for a plane, and the bevel chisels for a non plane alternative.
I agree with Mike, if it were me, I would get either the #4 or #4 1/2, and a LN upgrade blade for your
block plane. If you have chisels already and you like their performance, this item can wait till another time.

David Carroll
02-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, here's one lone voice for the LN Rabbet Block plane. I bought one of those a year or more ago and I use it quite a bit. It's very handy for all sorts of rougher trimming when you want to take more wood off than the shoulder plane will do quickly.

People are always bragging about how their plane will take .001 shavings. It's a wonderful thing...until you realize that to remove 1/16th-inch of material you need to push or pull that iron 63 times over the dadblamed wood!

But any of the planes you mentioned are good choices.

David C

Ron Brese
02-18-2007, 11:04 PM
If you are looking for a true smoother I think I'd opt for the 4 1/2.

Ron Brese

Martin Cash
02-19-2007, 2:23 AM
Unless you absolutely have to have a LN, I'd go for the Lee Valley Bevel Up Smoother.
This plane has the heft of a 4 1/2 and the versatility of different blade angles for a variety of woods. Can't beat that higher cutting angle on curly or figured grain.
Furthermore LV are somewhat cheaper than LN. But you've got to be happy with the tote.
Happy searching
MC:):):)

Doug Littlejohn
02-20-2007, 5:24 PM
is where I would go. I have it and love it. I use it both as a block and as a rabbet, it excels at both.

One thing not to many seem to know about is that LN will take the plane and add nickers to it !! Then you can score the wood along the edges as well as take off wood. Send the unit to LN (call them first to get the details) and include the payment ($30 when I did mine) and in a few weeks you get it back.

I just can't say enough good things about it.

Sherwood