PDA

View Full Version : Flush trim spiral bits

Nate Rogers
02-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Hello All,
Has anyone had any experience with these bits, Whiteside makes some. The are a spiral cut bit for flush trip applications, I am considering buying one for some chairs that I need to make. I have not had very good luck with the traditional flush trim bits on chairs, eventually I get tearout. Any
thoughts?

Nate

Steve Clardy
02-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Yes. I use a whitside 3/4 spiral flush trim for arched door rails.
Very pleased with the bit

J D Thomas
02-18-2007, 7:38 PM
I bought the Amana version a while back. It wasn't cheap, but the finish cut is amazing over my other 2 flute bits.

Jim Becker
02-18-2007, 7:47 PM
Spirals give you a shearing cut which in most cases should be cleaner than a "standard" straight cutter.

David Cramer
02-18-2007, 8:27 PM
I've used alot of the whiteside bits and have never had any problems. Great results to be honest with you. I've had to use the small diamond hone to "freshen" up the edge now and then, but who doesn't. Nice results for a fair price.

Dave

glenn bradley
02-18-2007, 10:04 PM
I wanted to try one out and so bought the MLCS 1/4" version. It is decent for the price but now that I know I like it I will buy a more quality version. Nothing against MLCS. I use a lot of their stuff and it is great for the price. Your application sounds like a few dollars more for a higher quality finish would be in order.

Scott Brihn
02-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Nate,

I purchased the Whiteside 1/2" upcut spiral flush trim bit from Ballew a few years ago for the same purpose. I believe the model number is RFT5200. This is a long bit which has come in handy when flush trimming chair legs. Not an inexpensive bit but the results have been worth it for me.