PDA

View Full Version : An Observation on NYW

Carl Eyman
02-18-2007, 11:08 AM
A few days ago I had occassion to look at a NYW video of the Night Stand he did in 1989. I built it for mu granddaughter about that time. Both he an I have learned a lot about woodworking since then.

He made no provisions for wood movement. For instance, he breadboarded the ends but used a nearly full length mortise and tenon all the way across the cross grain of the top and glued it in al;l the way. i don't remember if I followed his lead on that, but the next time I have the chance I want to take a look and see if the table top ha reacted.

He also made no provision for expansion or contraction when fastening the top to frame. He screwed her right down. I'll have to look at that. too.

This table sat in the bedroom from August to November 2005 after Katrina had blown off the roof shingles and the rain had knocked down the plastered ceilings; so it was subject to some stress. It will be interesting to see what the result is.

Jim Becker
02-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Carl, it WILL be interesting to see how your table faired...do report in when you get the details.

Jerry Olexa
02-18-2007, 6:52 PM
Carl: I've noticed also that he doesn't allow for wood movement on a couple episodes. I also think he uses that nailer too often for fine furniture where it will be visible. But I do enjoy his show and generally respect him and his methods (as well as his endless supply of tools):) You're right: handling wood movement is critical for future stability of the project

Carroll Courtney
02-18-2007, 8:32 PM
I guess even Norm learns from mistakes.Wait!!!!Norm made a mistake.

Ben Grunow
02-18-2007, 9:39 PM
You can bet he reads this stuff once in a while. Watch what you say about old Norm. I have heard that he remembers names like an elephant and you might meet him some day.