PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to North House Folk School?

Charles McKinley
02-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi All,

Has anyone been to North House Folk School? St. Roy featured them on the last episode of The Woodwright's Shop. Spring pole lathes, timber framing, boat building, Windsor chairs and other nifty things are taught there.

I was wondering about the overall experience and where did you stay?

http://www.northhouse.org/ is their site.

Thanks

Michael Fross
02-18-2007, 11:31 AM
I just saw that episode as well. Very impressive. I wish Roy was able to spend an entire episode on each one of the displines. The boat building really wow'd me.

I, too, would be very interested if anyone has any actual experience there.

BTW, this might be better moved to the Neander section....

Michael

Gary Keedwell
02-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Nice site...I especially liked the Post and Beam courses.

Gary K.:o

Rick Schubert
02-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I live 18 miles from the North House Folk School in Grand Marais, MN. It has excellent programs and has been very successful. It is very traditional in an authentic way. I took a two day course on making dovetails and M & T's in the neander fashion and learned a lot. I've never heard anything bad from anyone who has taken their courses, although they are not cheap. But the classes are small and you get a lot of individual attention.

There are many places to stay in and around Grand Marais from condos you can rent, motels of every variety, resorts and some of the best camping in the entire country in the Boundry Water Canoe Area. It is a popular tourist area with the BWCA and Lake Superior. I'd be happy to make some specific recomendations to anyone and would welcome all Creekers for a shop visit.

Tyler also has a place up here and might chime in.

Rick

Al Wasser
02-18-2007, 3:32 PM
I've not been to North House, but if you like seeing things done with hand tools visit the carpenter shop in Colonial Williamsburg. Well worth the time and cost if you are in the area

jared herbert
02-18-2007, 5:57 PM
Hello: I have not taken a class at the north house but I have visited there several times. I observed a class on making an acoustic guitar last winter. It sure looked like fun. the instructor was very personable and friendly. Any of the staff that I have talked with have been knowledgable and nice. The quality of instructors and the work that the classes turn out seem high. I hope to take a class from one of the wood carvers someday if I can work it out. Grand Marais is one of my favorite places to visit. We have a place about 1 1/2 hours drive south of there near Gooseberry Falls State Park and so go there often. There are a lot of nice shops, places to eat and places to stay. I would definitely call ahead for reservations if you are planning on visiting in July or August as it is a busy town then. In the winter you can shoot a canon down the street and not hit anything. Enjoy your self. Jared