PDA

View Full Version : Beasty and the kitchen cabinets?

Al Willits
02-18-2007, 10:37 AM
She's done it again.......
The LOML has now decided that the white oak may not be bright enough for the kitchen cabinets I'm gonna try and build...grrrrrrr

So....she wants glass panels in some (with frosted designs) and a lighter wood to brighten up the kitchen.
I'm thinking the glass panels may or may not stay in favor with her, but was wondering about using a light wood for either the frame of the doors or the center panels.
I did take notes at the David Marks seminar and he mentioned which should probably be lighter, the frame or panels, but I put his notes away so I wouldn't loose them....and I can't remember where..

So....Which would be a better choice, frame or panels for a lighter wood and can anybody suggest a lighter wood that would go with white oak.
Beasty has suggested mahogany???

btw I have about 150bf of white oak already bought for this project, so buying all new wood isn't something I'm looking forward to.
tia
Al.......just shoot me ....please.....:)

Errrrr she just said Mahogany is to dark and is online looking as I type......help.....

Dave Richards
02-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Al, how about maple? That's pretty light. I wonder if I could use that white oak? Hmmm.....

I'll let you know about meeting up. Have to work out the details. Thanks a bundle. ;)

Al Willits
02-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Maple might work, she's mentioned she likes that b4.
Would you put the maple as the pannel or frame?

I just might mention that Maple was what she wanted the cabinets out of and you know who talked her into oak....I'll never hear the end of this one...:D
She says Hi btw

Al

Dave Richards
02-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Tell her I said hi back.

I'd be inclined to make the frames out of first grade maple and use the oak for the panels. If she'd let you get the quartersawn oak instead, I'd say reverse it and use some figured maple. She's probably gonna hit me the next time she sees me. :D

Al Willits
02-18-2007, 2:15 PM
You evidently don't remember the trip to the Lime Springs lumber yard and almost getting kicked out for her "I don't like QS oak" remark??:D :D

I'm planning on sneaking a bit of qs on the sideboard, but I don't enjoy the beatings quite enough to try on the kitchen cabinets..

Lighter around the edges then..thanks

Al......who for Dave's health isn't gonna mention QS...:)

Dave Richards
02-18-2007, 2:29 PM
Al, I do remember almost getting kicked back to the state line for her comment. I suppose she won't change her mind. :rolleyes: I bet she's reading my comments over your shoulder, too.

Thanks for looking out for my health. ;) :D

Al Willits
02-18-2007, 2:42 PM
Naw, she's looking on-line now for a new cauldron, seems Witches Supply has a sale on them...so your safe for now...:)

Plus its order flower seed time, so she'll be busy for a bit, she likes the Maple idea though, and she hasn't said much about the oak, but I do get the "LOOK" when I walk by.....

Al...who'd rather take the beating, than the "LOOK" :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-18-2007, 3:19 PM
You could bleach the oak.
I think oxalic acid 'll do it.

Art Mulder
02-18-2007, 4:24 PM
You could bleach the oak.
I think oxalic acid 'll do it.

I was going to wonder the same thing. If you already have the oak, what about that? I've seen a "pickled white oak" finish before also, which was certainly pale, but I have no idea how to get it.

Or what about a dilute white wash coat? That'd still give you the grain, but have a white tint to it?

hope this helps
...art

Al Willits
02-18-2007, 4:30 PM
Thanks Cliff, but I think we may have found a compromise, after trying several different finishes, duluted Dainsh natural and clear poly seems to have at least got the beatings to stop.
Seems QS oak and Tung oil are on her no list...
She's decided the Maple was to plain looking, so we're sticking with the oak and I've volunteered to install a few low voltage lights which hopefully will brighten the kitchen up.

Al.....who's not real fond of sunglasses in the kitchen anyway...:)

Dave Richards
02-18-2007, 4:40 PM
Well, see? You did alright in picking out that wood in the first place. ;)

Maple? Too plain?
http://nwtimber.catalog.com/images/nwtimb56/curly_maple_thumbnail.jpg http://www.ronsonguitars.com/images/c-m-standard2.jpg

No sunglasses in the kitchen is defintely a good thing. :cool:

Al Willits
02-18-2007, 4:48 PM
Dave, I'll let you explain the Maple thing to her....I'll supply the band aids...:)

Of the two pictures you have there, the darker one on the right is what she doesn't care for, I like the lighter one (curly?) but she's not fond of it.
And as its her kitchen, I'll build what ever it is she wants....if she ever figures out what that is...:confused:

Al

Ben Roman
02-19-2007, 12:14 AM
My wife and I enjoy your posts about Beasty. Let me correct that to say I enjoy your posts and she does not. She says your comments about beasty are rude and tasteless. As much as I tell her it is a term of Love she is not buying it. Can you post a picture of beasty and you happy and content.

Ben

Al Willits
02-19-2007, 9:22 AM
Ben, tell your wife these are indeed terms of endearment, Lori is well aware of what I call her and finds them cute.
fwiw, this women stayed by my side while I was in the hospital with a brain abscess and not expected to live, she wasn't working at that time and money was extremely tight.
During the day she looked for a job, during the night she came to see me, after surgery I was paralyzed on my entire left side, and went though months of therapy, she took care of our dogs, the house and finance's.
Not to mention dummy here who didn't get out of the hospital till almost 6 months.

Her nickname comes from her ability to do all this and more, she is my partner in life and I am most greatful.
Besides, somehow nicknames like Moonflower or Sweetkins just don't fit my bride..
Especially when she in one of "them" moods...:D

Its the "Them" moods where the Beasty really shines...:)
Al

Ben Roman
02-19-2007, 9:44 AM
Al, She is awesome. You are a lucky man.

Ben

Al Willits
02-19-2007, 9:48 AM
Ben, the wife wants pictures, we got pictures...:)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45395

Al...and yes I am....:)

Dennis Peacock
02-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Well Al,

I am of the opinion that you my friend are one lucky man for having just such a woman for a wife. :) Thanks for a great read in this thread.

So what's the decision on the wood?

Dave Richards
02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Ya know. I never got one of "them LOOKS" from her. Of course I get them from another source so I know what you mean. :D

Al Willits
02-19-2007, 12:24 PM
"""""""""""
Well Al,

I am of the opinion that you my friend are one lucky man for having just such a woman for a wife. :) Thanks for a great read in this thread.

So what's the decision on the wood?
""""""""""""""

Lucky is a given, thanks.

Wood???
Last I heard, we were gonna do the diluted Danish natural oil and clear satin water poly...but I haven't talked to her in 20 mins so all bets could be off...:)

Gonna take a half day off the 28th and we'll go look at our local lumberyard, she likes the lightness of Maple but doesn't care for the figure, except for the curly stuff and that has to much figure...go figure....??

The two tone approach is getting a bit of resistance, thought of mixing maple with oak but we looked though a half dozen cabinet books and you don't see much or any two tone panels.

I might throw together a panel out of curly maple and see what see says, if I don't glue it I could also try curly center, oak frame, and visa versa..

Any reason why one wouldn't go two tone??

Al...Lotta learning curve, ain't there...??? :)

Brett Baldwin
02-19-2007, 1:16 PM
Hey Al, if your local yard has any, quilted maple is a more subtle figure than curly but very attractive. Also more expensive, at least in my area. You might also think about not putting an oil on the wood since it tends to bring the figure out more. A clear coat only on curly maple will be much more subtle than oil + clear or like the picture Dave showed which is probably dyed to really make the figure pop.

Al Willits
02-19-2007, 2:30 PM
Thanks Brett, I actually tried a little poly on a test board for the wife, did the BLO only, Danish and poly, and just poly by itself, she liked the poly only oak board, just wasn't sure if it was ok to just do poly though?

At this point cost is much less a issue, as keeping the wife happy, I'll keep the quilted in mind when we go look.
Besides I still have a few body parts I can sell, so we should be ok....:)

Major problem here is I still haven't quite got to the kitchen cabinet skill level and Beasty is getting to much time to think.

But we're getting closer all the time...:D

Al