PDA

View Full Version : Airshield woes...

Chris Barton
02-18-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know if anyone else has had any problems with their Airshields breaking but, mine did this morning (see the red arrow in picture). As it's only a couple of months old I figure a trip to Woodcraft (where SWMBO bought it) will be in order. Replacement time...

Martin Shupe
02-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Unless you dropped it, I would contact the manufacturer about a replacement part. As much as those things cost, you would think they would be built more sturdy. My impression is that it is a nice unit, but way overpriced for the materials used to construct it.

Claude Arragon
02-18-2007, 10:37 AM
No I did'nt experience this.
I have been using mine dayly for about a year now, and hope it will not break.-
However I find the soft inside quite fragile; mine is torn out...
I'll write to see If I can get a replacement

Chris Barton
02-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Martin,

It broke in my hand as I was lifting it off my head. I agree that for this price a remedy is in order. The owner of the local Woodcraft is a friend and good businessman, he'll make it right.

Jonathon Spafford
02-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Martin,

It broke in my hand as I was lifting it off my head. I agree that for this price a remedy is in order. The owner of the local Woodcraft is a friend and good businessman, he'll make it right.

Ack... that is freaky... you'd kinda hope that these things would withstand a piece of flying wood! :rolleyes:

Neal Addy
02-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Chris, I'm not so sure that is broken (if I'm seeing what you a referring to in the picture). Are you talking about that long tenon that came out of the slot in the top part of the frame?

I honestly believe that's a "design feature".

I had my visor pop out after using it several times and couldn't get it back into the slotted grooves until I discovered that one side of the frame (the 'tenon' you are pointing to) slid out of its socket. This allows you to fully seat the visor back into the grooves of the frame. You then just slide the tenon back in and snap it in place.

I *think* that only one side comes out. The other side didn't want to budge for me.

I may be full of balloon juice but I assumed this was built that way to allow you to put the visor back in place.

Chris Barton
02-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Chris, I'm not so sure that is broken (if I'm seeing what you a referring to in the picture). Are you talking about that long tenon that came out of the slot in the top part of the frame?

I honestly believe that's a "design feature".

I had my visor pop out after using it several times and couldn't get it back into the slotted grooves until I discovered that one side of the frame (the 'tenon' you are pointing to) slid out of its socket. This allows you to fully seat the visor back into the grooves of the frame. You then just slide the tenon back in and snap it in place.

I *think* that only one side comes out. The other side didn't want to budge for me.

I may be full of balloon juice but I assumed this was built that way to allow you to put the visor back in place.

Neal,

Thanks so much for your post and you are spot on. Before I saw you post I was re-examining the place that I thought was broken and comparing it to the opposite side and realized that it has simply come apart. My concern now is that it appears to come apart very easily. Is this tennon supposed to be installed with an adhesive?

Neal Addy
02-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I've only had that part out once but I wouldn't think that an adhesive would be needed. You'll need to be able to take it out again when you want to install a new visor.

I noticed that mine kinda snapped into place, although I didn't see a groove or slot that should "snap". I didn't use much force for fear of breaking it but it did hold.

The other side may come out as well. Again, I'm not sure and didn't want to force it.

Hilel Salomon
02-18-2007, 1:05 PM
Ack... that is freaky... you'd kinda hope that these things would withstand a piece of flying wood! :rolleyes:

I had a small bowl come flying at me and just bounce off the visor. One thing I do recommend buying are the additional visor protectors. I'm getting ready to buy some visor restorers (I'm told that motorcycle shops carry them) and clean mine up.