PDA

View Full Version : Why does it always happen ...

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-18-2007, 9:38 AM
when your almost done? I started this holly hollow form Saturday morning. I woke up this morning ready for another day of fun and headed out to the shop. It's a detached from the house on the back of the property!
I turned on the heat and commenced hollowing with my Scorpion since I'm still waiting delivery of my captured set. As I was day dreaming how nice the laser setup on the Clark system was going to be all the sudden I hear a loud crash behind me. It startled me just enough that i guess I flinched just enough to cause this. The crash was my Lab crashing through the door that I must had left slightly ajar. The LOML had just let him out to do his thing, but I guess he wanted to say hi to me first! Anyone have a creative fix or is it destine for the firewood pile?
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l317/rubberhook/oops.jpg

mike fuson
02-18-2007, 10:15 AM
And they say mans best friend :mad: Is it possible to cut that part out and change the shape? or have you done hollowed it? In my old shop I was turning a bowl and there was open ceiling joists above, as I hollowed a mountain rat fell off the joist onto the head stock and immediately jumped onto the faceplate, needless to say which one was more the mess the rat or my shorts :eek: !!!!!

Don Emmerling
02-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi Kurt,

I have turned many bowls but no hollow forms and while I have been turning for over 2 years I am not a seasoned turner. I have had this similar experience with a bowl that was almost finished and thus there was not sufficient wall thickness to just carve away the defect. What I did was use my Dremel tool with a small grinder bit attached and took away the protruding wood much like a dentist would work on a cavity. I cleaned up the hole and then used 5 minute epoxy mixed with sawdust to fill the void. Once the epoxy had set I smoothed the epoxy to match the contour of the piece. They usually come out looking like a feature of the wood and do not draw any real attention to the patch. Just my two cents.

Don Emmerling
Johnstown, Ohio

Gary Herrmann
02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Don's solution sounds like it would work. Give the lab a pat on the head. He can't help being a goober. My two are currently jostling each other to see who can get into my lap first.

Kevin McPeek
02-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Looks like the start of a pierced piece. Get out the dremel and go to town on it. If you ruin it just blame it on the dog.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Thats a great idea Kevin! I'm gonna give that a try. Thanks for the input guys.

Bill Wyko
02-18-2007, 1:52 PM
I had something similar happen to one of my semi-segmented pieces. I cut the bottom off, trued it up and put a better segmented bottom on it. I know it isn't a fix for the hole but it's better than scrapping it. Especially such a nice piece. Just put a couple of contrrasting rings in the mix. Besides what better excuse to do some segmenting.:o