PDA

View Full Version : A new set of chisels

Jim Dunn
02-18-2007, 9:26 AM
I finally got the set of 6 Hirsch chisels I ordered from L. Valley yesterday. My wife surprised me with the box as we were leaving to baby sit our granddaughters:eek: Got to open them up about midnite:o.

The question now is do I trust that the backs are flat out of the box or try to flatten em? They are real pretty and shiney but their going to be users and I want to get started out right on these.

Pics to follow, I promise:D

Doug Shepard
02-18-2007, 9:59 AM
I'm going through the same thing right now with a new set of LN's. According to their info, they stop at 400 grit. So I've been starting with 600g on the backs. If I can notice any unevenness in the scratch pattern, that's my indication that they're not completely flat. At that point I'd switch down to a lower grit to speed things up then work back up. So far I'm halfway through the set and the backs have been perfect. There have been a few high/low spots on the bevels though, so I've been starting with 220 or 180 on those then working up.

Jim Dunn
02-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Doug these have a mirror like finish on the backs. Almost like chrome. They must of used 2000 grit to get such a finish?

Mark Singer
02-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I usually accept that the backs are flat....just sharpen the bevel and remove the burr

Doug Shepard
02-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Doug these have a mirror like finish on the backs. Almost like chrome. They must of used 2000 grit to get such a finish?

Could be. Or they may just be buffed with compound. If you want to check it though, you can try something even finer.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=33004&cat=1,43072

Andrew Homan
02-18-2007, 10:15 AM

Note that if something like a soft buffing wheel was used to get the final polish, it will have gone into any hollow or around any bump -- so it is really not a good indication of flatness. When you hone them and then work the back to remove the burr, you'll discover whether they are "flat" when you examine the scratch pattern on the back.

Gary Herrmann
02-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Let those of us that still need to move beyond Marples know how they work.

Jim Dunn
02-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks all and Gary I will. Right now I'm in the middle of remodeling the laundry room. My wife tore it up the day I went to the w-wing show:eek: It was a surprise to me to say the least.

David Carroll
02-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Mark,

Me too. Particularly with the LN chisels. I just got the new 1-inch one and even though they stop at 400 grit I feel no need to take it further. I suspect that depending on how one is lapping the back (scary sharp on glass or a diamond plate or a cast iron lapping plate and compound) that it would be easy to make the back less flat, due to uneven pressure during lapping. Polishing the back is another matter entirely. I'm of the opinion that it is critical to mirror polish the back--for at least 1/32-inch from the edge. Beyond this is vanity!

David C.

Tom Sontag
02-19-2007, 2:19 AM
I'd take the widest one and run that back over some very flat ~400 grit once or twice. You should get the answer whether it is flat in a big hurry.

John Miliunas
02-19-2007, 9:43 AM
Jim, congrats on the new chisels. I have that exact set, as well. In my case, they did require flattening the backs but, once done, sharpening/honing went quite quickly. Also, you should be aware that, most of those types of chisels have a lacquer finish on them. Take some lacquer thinner to the business end of the tool before attempting to hone or sharpen them! :) :cool: