PDA

View Full Version : Woodworks - Opinions please ?

Ken Milhinch
02-18-2007, 4:37 AM
I have recently switched my cable service from analogue to digital and as a consequence now get to watch the "HowTo" channel. The only woodworking show on there is a show called Woodworks, hosted by David Marks.
Personally, I find his show to be bland in the extreme, and his presentation style very irritating. (I have probably been spoiled by Norm over the years) He seems to produce some very nice pieces, but the show is almost on my "don't bother" list, so I was wondering what you guys think of it.

In addition, I wrote to my cable company and chastised them for not having NYW or TOH, and they replied that they had not been successful in negotiating a deal on those shows, and that there was nothing else of any quality around. Now, I am sure that's not the case, so perhaps you could give me the names of any good shows you have and I will ask them to check them out.
Thank you in anticipation of your replies.

Dewayne Reding
02-18-2007, 5:35 AM
Ken

While I don't enjoy the format of Woodworks as well, I still find it informative. Most of his projects are too complicated for me at this stage , and that may have something to do with it. And you are right, we are spoiled by Norm's NYW. For me it's his folksy demeaner . David Marks comes off to me as a very nice guy, just a less entertaining than Norm. I think Woodworks is no longer produced, and I consider that a bad thing.

Roy McQuay
02-18-2007, 5:48 AM
Hi Ken, perhaps you should look up Freeform Furniture and Router Works.

Ken Milhinch
02-18-2007, 6:55 AM
Thanks Roy, I can't seem to get a hit on a "Router Works" search and the Freeform Furniture show is a woman !!!:eek: :eek: Is the router show Pat Warner ?

John Lucas
02-18-2007, 7:16 AM
That's the first time I have heard anything negative about "a woman." It is Amy Devers and she is quite accomplished...and nice to look at. My problem with her show is the style of furniture she makes "Freeform."
No the router show is with the Router Guys, a father son team from canada.

Chris Barton
02-18-2007, 7:49 AM
I have watched many (all) episodes of Woodworks with David Marks and I have met him in person. I like his show (but it has been discontinued) and find some of his projects to be inspiring but, not usually my cup of tea. David is a very nice guy and his show is more a reflection of the production company's perception of what we want to see than David's. Unfortunately, aside from those shows packaged for PBS, few if any have been a commercial success. Sadly, we are a very small demographic...

Alfred Clem
02-18-2007, 8:32 AM
I think I know what you mean. There is something simplistic about some woodworking programs that rubs my fur the wrong way. There is one fellow (he has a little moustache and talks as if his viewers had just come in one the last wagon of watermelons) who makes me look for my remote with great urgency.

Granted, I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I don't like being talked down to, almost as if I was three years old, with the attention span of a juvenile delinquent. Frankly, I like to be challenged by the experts (like Norm), shown how to accomplish difficult tasks, and urged to try something new. David Marks makes it all seem as if everything he does was accomplished with lightning speed, almost as if it was sleight-of-hand. Voila! And there it is! All of us who have struggled to become better know this cannot be the real world we are seeing.:)

Mike Parzych
02-18-2007, 8:53 AM
I think "how-to" woodworking shows often miss the mark by assuming their viewers also have shops equipped with $50,000 in machinery and tools. The vast majority are working with more basic tools.

NYW is in some aspects geared toward the Average Joe, but he too has a boatload of tooling at his disposal. David Marks taste in projects, etc. were certainly not mine.

Mitchell Andrus
02-18-2007, 8:56 AM
Unfortunately, building most funiture is like baking cookies. Sooner or later, you come to realize that it's Joint "B" here, joint "C" there and there, a little glue, and a choice of finish "1" or "2". How many times can you watch Norm or whoever make a M/T joint and learn something new?

I find the real challenge is in the creation of something that's "right" for a particular furniture style, and then bringing this new creation to market.

I get a kick out of putting a new piece on my webcatalog and receiving an order for one then next day. - Tough to show THAT on TV though.

Don Bullock
02-18-2007, 9:52 AM
I'll agree that the projects that David Marks creates in his shop are not that inspiring to me. I do get some ideas for techniques I could apply to my projects.

Ken, you need to understand that in the USA we have some very accomplished women in all areas of live. In fact, some of the excellent woodworkers on this forum are women.

Mitchell, I've admired your site, but didn't make the connection. You have many nice designs. I'm a fairly new fan of Arts and Crafts/Mission style, especially Greeen and Green creations.

Mark Singer
02-18-2007, 10:06 AM
David Marks is a very tallented and versitile woodworker.....there is a great deal all of us can learn from him. When I watch I never view wth the idea of building the project that he is show casing, insttead I try to learn techniques....he has many!!!!

Jim Fox
02-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I like Woodworks, it's very informative. Nahm is getting to old hat with his stupid "brad until the glue dries" crap.

I recently picked up 2 books, "Setting Up Shop" and "Small Woodworking Shops". I now know why David Marks always wears long sleeves.

Stan Welborn
02-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I enjoy it. May not be my ideal WW show, but it's better that 95% of TV.

David Cramer
02-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. I think David Marks is awesome and I personally like his format. The guy does a great job of explaining things and how he does it. No I don't have all of his tools, but that's my problem, not his. I don't begrude him anything. They made things 100's of years ago with less tools than I have now, so I've got no excuses. I find him truly inspiring and a gifted teacher and I am grateful for what he does produce and share with others. That's why he got the job over many other applicants.

I don't like every project built by anyone, we all have our own taste. But nothing that he's built would ever turn me away from watching him or make me turn the channel. I was bummed out that he had been on for 2 years before I found out.

I for one think anyone who is currently into woodworking should be "grateful" that shows like this even exsist. Who was on before Norm and David and the few other shows that are on? Now we have some decent stuff to watch, in my opinion, and instead of looking for the good in a show, we look for the bad. Sorry, I'm not trying to start anything. I am actually a mellow guy who does not look for conflict.

Too each his own, but I can't see how someone who "enjoys woodworking' can't enjoy a show like Woodworks. It's not just the project, but how he gets there and what he teaches along the way that counts. Again, I am so grateful that the show exsists, that I could never think of a negative thought as to why it's on. By the way, I read in a magazine about a year or two ago that all of the projects aren't designed by him. Some are, and some are by local craftsmen and David builds them if they like the design. That what he said in an interview in Woodshop News.

Irrelevant, everyone is entitled to their own opinion as to watch or not, but I for one think he is awesome, as well as Norm. I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers and I aplogize in advance if I did. Good Day!

Dave

Dave Carey
02-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Guess my threshold for entertainment is lower than most. I like both WW and NYW when I can get them. The PBS channels here have dropped Norm as far as I can tell in deference to cooking shows and never-ending "once-a-year" fund raiser specials. I did catch WW and Amy last night by accident. I view Norm as the expert practioner and David as more in the expert artist mode. I've built a couple of Norm projects; probably will never built a David project, but enjoy watching his technique and every once in a while see something I can use at my much more modest level. Amy is fun to watch though like others I don't find the style of most of her creations appealing (last night it was a bent metal coat rack!) I've only seen the father and son router guys a couple of times; then just flat out scare me.

Phil Harding
02-18-2007, 11:41 AM
I have my Warner Cable digital box set to record all broadcasts of WoodWorks, Free Form Furniture, Router Workshop, Turning Techniques, The Woodwright's Shop, and New Yankee Workshop. I save all the WoodWorks recordings and a few of the others for future reference. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of Norm's or Scott's shows lately.

I actually prefer WW because David Marks builds contemporary furniture. I prefer this over Norm's and Scott's period furniture projects. Also I like WW because I get some (maybe not enough) insight into the design and planning processes.

I recently attended Davids veneering and bent laminations classes when he was in Milwaukee a few weeks ago.

-- Phil

Fred Voorhees
02-18-2007, 11:44 AM
David Marks is a very tallented and versitile woodworker.....there is a great deal all of us can learn from him. When I watch I never view wth the idea of building the project that he is show casing, insttead I try to learn techniques....he has many!!!!

I think I share the ideas of Mark on this one. I do enjoy David Marks show and watch it as much as I can catch it. However, some of his projects simply don't interest me. I will say though, that I have used techniques that I have been exposed to through his Woodworks show. The man definitely has a flare for woodworking and certainly has been an inspiration to me. It would be a shame to have his shows, even now that they are discontinued from making new ones, taken off tv.

Fred Voorhees
02-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I like Woodworks, it's very informative. Nahm is getting to old hat with his stupid "brad until the glue dries" crap.

I recently picked up 2 books, "Setting Up Shop" and "Small Woodworking Shops". I now know why David Marks always wears long sleeves.

Jim, I have read numerous times, guys mentioning Norms "brad until the glue dries crap" and I really think that the problem here is your perception of what he really means when he says that. I distinctly remember on this forum someone asking just how he gets those brads out after the glue dries. Now really, do you really think that is what he meant? Of course not. As someone else mentioned in a post a few back. All of us really ought to be thankful that there are shows such as Norms and Davids and others on television.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-18-2007, 11:55 AM
David Marks.
Personally, I find his show to be bland in the extreme, and his presentation style very irritating.

Having read a little bit of Marks I find him to be a tad on the snotty californian arty side. Bright guy though

Mitchell Andrus
02-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Don, Thanks.

peter leyden
02-18-2007, 12:03 PM
I notice that there is one show noticeable by its absence- "The Woodwright Shop". with Roy Underhill. I find his show fascinating and if you are turned off by shows that are filmed in shops just overflowing with hi-tech tools, this is the show to watch. Not only does he use old hand tools , he usually sports bruises,band aids etc as evidence that he really does get his hands dirty and beat up. I wish it was still available in our area!
Peter Leyden

Russ Cass
02-18-2007, 12:09 PM
David Marks is a very talented and versatile woodworker.....there is a great deal all of us can learn from him. When I watch I never view wth the idea of building the project that he is show casing, instead I try to learn techniques....he has many!!!!Mark, You took the words right out of my mouth.

I find Mr. Marks style of WW'ing a little too stylish and complicated for my tastes,
but I've learned many new techniques just from watching him work.
His delivery on the show is monotonous at best and I do find it hard to stay awake sometimes :D

All in all it's a very good show.

That being said, I like Norm and the NYW very much. He makes what probably 75%
of the average Joe Woodworker might make in his shop.
The fact he uses a pin nailer may upset some of the guys who find that technique repugnant.
If your one of them, take a deep breath and realize not everyone in the WW world is fine craftsman or cuts every dovetail by hand.

Jim Fox
02-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Jim, I have read numerous times, guys mentioning Norms "brad until the glue dries crap" and I really think that the problem here is your perception of what he really means when he says that. I distinctly remember on this forum someone asking just how he gets those brads out after the glue dries. Now really, do you really think that is what he meant? Of course not. As someone else mentioned in a post a few back. All of us really ought to be thankful that there are shows such as Norms and Davids and others on television.

I know what he means...........would be retarded to take them out afterwards. A lot of times he doesn't need them, just makes more cleanup work for him.

Don't get me wrong either, I've watched him for years and like him and what he does. He probably got me interested in this hobby.

Al Willits
02-18-2007, 2:34 PM
90% of what Marks makes won't fit our lifestyle, but watching him make this stuff has taught me quite a bit.
One of the problems with any of these shows is the viewers are not at the same skill level, so they have to pick a happy medium, I think this leaves some bored, some mystified and most happy.

The other problems is if a shows only a half hour, your gonna miss some of went into building whatever project they are doing.
Also Marks had mentioned he wasn't running the show, and had to do things the way the producers/? wanted, be interesting to see a show put out by him.

Met Marks at a seminar he had here in Mpls, much nicer guy in person, good sense of humor and not the left coast attitude you'd expect, somebody I wouldn't hesitate to have as a neighbor.

Personally I'd love to have all his shows on DVD.

Al

Al Killian
02-18-2007, 2:48 PM
I would be happy with any show as long as it is new. PBS in my area only shows reruns of NYW and satellite I would have to get all the channels to get diy.:(

Jerry Olexa
02-18-2007, 3:26 PM
David Marks is a talented WWer with IMHO a good show. He tends toward finer furniture w an artistic influence. Yes, his style is different than Norm's but its still a worthwhile show. (one man's meat is another man's poison:) ). Usually within the cable framework, there are different options of shows u can get. I had to add coverage and a few $ to get the DIY channel for example. Explore your options

John Hain
02-18-2007, 3:34 PM
Well, I certainly enjoy Woodworks over NYW. Personal preference of course. I remember when I first started watching David Marks, I didn't know anything about the guy. I just stumbled across DIY and started watching. I think David builds pieces in more of a contemporary style that I like. And moreover, I watch for the techniques, not to repeat a piece of furniture. I can't ever remember building a piece of anything based on David or Norm's shows. They both do a fine job.

Finally, I have to tip my cap to Norm for creating the phrase, "Just a couple brads until the glue dries." I think my new shop will be named this.

Ken Milhinch
02-18-2007, 3:50 PM
Guys, thanks for all your feedback. It seems that David Marks has probably missed the mark in terms of the type of projects he builds. Almost everyone says that they have never tried to replicate one of his designs.
Of course, I never said he wasn't skilled, I just don't like his demeanour, but that's a personal thing. Some people you meet, you like instantly, and others you don't. I think Norm is one of those whom I would like - probably because his relaxed, unassuming attitude is more in keeping with the average Australian.

You have given me several more shows that I will hunt down and pester my cable company for. I doubt they will take much notice, but you never know. Thanks again.

Tom Majewski
02-18-2007, 4:29 PM
.....Of course, I never said he wasn't skilled, I just don't like his demeanour, but that's a personal thing. Some people you meet, you like instantly, and others you don't. I think Norm is one of those whom I would like - probably because his relaxed, unassuming attitude is more in keeping with the average Australian.........

Ken, I kind of agree with you. David Marks pieces show he has talent out the wazoo, but I never cared for his attitude or his on-air teaching abilities.
Norm's furniture isn't as refined, but I learned more through his show and would rather have him as a neighbor and drinking buddy.
Someone mentioned The Woodwright Shop. That was a great show, and funny too. Sometimes Roy Underhill would sweat his butt off to show how early neanders worked, only to have the piece come out crooked. He'd always say " well...you get the idea" The guy was always in a hurry as it seemed there wasn't much editing or post production work.

Al Navas
02-18-2007, 6:56 PM
I totally agree with Mark Singer on this one.

I watch WoodWorks because I love watching the techniques, and I try to apply them as needed.

While I don't care for the contemporary stuff he makes, the results he gets are truly stunning. Would I try to emulate his results, or Norm's? I shoot for David Marks' techniques, not his style.

I agree that so much goes on about making Woodworks that it just seems that time flies, and one cannot possibly make the things he makes in such a short time.

BUT David Marks himself has stated that each show takes between 40 and 60 hours to tape (I could be off some in these figures). I am sure that not all these hours are taped, only the highlights to provide the continuity in the show.

Without this stuff as background it could be a little misleading.

David Cramer
02-18-2007, 6:58 PM
I have to say, I am definitely missing something or I am not as good a judge of character as I thought I was. I don't see anything wrong with his on air attitude or teaching abilities. I don't see any attitude:confused: at all. Just a nice guy showing and sharing:) his techniques on how he builds furniture. I'm not a moron, I realize that people have different opinions for different reasons, but this one I just dont' get. Where's the attitude???

Me confused:confused: :confused: :confused: . It must be me, 'cause more than one person has said that about him in this thread and for the love of God, I'm blown away. Sorry, you won't hear anything else from me on this subject.

Dave

John Miliunas
02-18-2007, 7:01 PM
So fine, my opinion here is a bit skewed, as I had the pleasure of spending two class days with David Marks last Fall. Trust me when as I say that, not only is he talented but, is as much a regular "Joe SixPack" as any one of us! :) Sadly, I don't get the DIY channel but, have borrowed many of the same DVD's from work and have watched the bulk of his presentations. Through them, he has much information to share. However, the presentation is much different than what you get in person. I had the chance to talk in length with David regarding this and, the fact of the matter is, the DIY channel held the reigns in very closely on all of what David was to present! In other words, we're not seeing the genuine David Marks on those show presentations. :( That said, please do NOT judge David by what you're seeing on TV. It would be a great injustice to both, him and yourself! As a matter of fact, David now spends the bulk of his time traveling the Country teaching, as well as doing so from his own shop. If you ever have the opportunity to catch one of his classes, treat yourself to some great instruction from one of today's Masters! :) :cool:

Dennis Hatchett
02-18-2007, 7:04 PM
I gotta say I like them both despite the distinct differences between their shows. Norm is the recognizable icon of modern woodworking for so many who owe much of their knowledge to him. Many of us built our basic skills based on setting the VCR to record every Saturday morning. Norm is great for his style of practical woodworking and he has a good teaching style. I've also purchased a number of tools based on his advice. (my osborne mitre gauge and my lumber wizard are two examples.)

I consider David Marks to be more of a craftsman or artisan whose choice of wood species is almost always appropriate and spectacular. His more becoming finishing techniques are always appropriate to the fancy wood he uses and he is a master of popping the natural features of the wood.

Like most of you, I would have more use for Norm's finished projects in my house, but I'd rather look at David Marks spectacular creations because I'm a wood junkie.

John Leslie
02-18-2007, 7:09 PM
At risk of going off-topic - if you like NetFlicks check out
http://smartflix.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=118&zenid=decadbd666227887211a5b1ebb30e131

John

J D Thomas
02-18-2007, 7:34 PM
When I first started watching Woodworks, I thought David was a bit mono-expressive. Probably just me. But I got past that and even tho I don't aspire to make most of what he presents, like NYW and others, I like to try an pick their brains so to speak on the design and construction process. Additionally, David has lifted my appreciation for work with hand tools. That for me, is a big plus.

Fred Voorhees
02-18-2007, 8:03 PM
I have to say, I am definitely missing something or I am not as good a judge of character as I thought I was. I don't see anything wrong with his on air attitude or teaching abilities. I don't see any attitude:confused: at all. Where's the attitude???

Have to agree. What attitude. Again, I think perception has quite a bit to do with many of these attitudes.

Joe Mioux
02-18-2007, 8:20 PM
the DVR is set on auto-pilot for the Woodworks reruns... I just wish DIY would start producing new shows!

Not to sound disrespectful, but Woodworks re-runs are my go to viewing when nothing of interest is on TV.

David Marks' show is enjoyable and educational.

Joe

P.S. I credit NYW for my initial interest in this hobby.

John Shuk
02-18-2007, 8:23 PM
I sort of felt the same way when I first started watching Wood Works with David Marks. It has certainly grown on me and his style. He really is a talented guy and in the later shows that is somehow expressed better IMHO. It is a bit of a shame that the show won't be filming new episodes.

Mark Singer
02-18-2007, 8:28 PM
I took a class from David Marks a few years ago. It was very informative and it was in my own field.....Design. He knew what he was talking about and it was interesting. My son Ryan, who is also an architect attended as well.
David has mastered probably more different techniques than any woodworker I know and I know many very talented crafstmen...being in the design field for so many years...David has so many techniques for finishing and chemically treating wood. He is great with making curved difficult forms...he makes complicated hollow vessels that are shown nationally in galleries...he is great with vacuum forming also. There is not much that he hasn't tried and mastered...This is because he pushes himself to learn new things. He lives in an area of California where people like artistic work....that is what he does..He does a great job explaining it although there are a lot of rules that the production company requires and he must follow.
It is difficult to teach woodworking through the media...through the internet as I have tried...David really does a great job and if any of us watched his shows , I think we would be much better woodworkers.
His work is carried in many fine galleries and if you ever encounter a piece....you will appreciate the passion , skill and thought that is David Marks!

Dave Falkenstein
02-18-2007, 8:46 PM
In the beginning...when I first installed a DVR on DirecTV satellite, I recorded every woodworking show I could find. Those recorded included TOH, NYW, Woodworks, Router Workshop, and several DIY shows. I watched them all with diminishing enthusiasm. I discovered after a while the material was repetitive, and many of the shows were reruns. Of all the shows, I enjoyed David Marks on Woodworks and Norm on NYW best. I stopped watching David Marks after I had seen all of his shows at least twice and some several times. How many times can you enjoy the same techniques and finishing material??? I still record Norm, but I look to see what the episode is first, and then often delete it without watching. I don't think I'm being snobish, I simply think I have learned what these shows have to offer. Maybe a new one will come along that is interesting in the future. I certainly hope so.

Dan Owen
02-18-2007, 8:52 PM
I have to agree with everything that David Cramer says in his post. I think David Marks is truly inspiring and I learn something new with every episode as well as repeated episodes. Best of all, his tools and shop are not that far out of line with what you would find in the serious hobbyist woodworkers shop.

Charles Bruno
02-18-2007, 9:19 PM
David Marks is an inspiring, talented and an excellent craftsman. I wish DIY and him would work out another deal for more shows. Norm is also a favorite of mine I've watched him for years. I've learned from both. I like the style of David's furniture it is awesome.

When I wish to really be inspired, I go and spend an afternoon at Sam Maloofs place, take a tour of his old house and walk around the gardens. In all my visits only once have I not run into Sam, wish he had tv show!

Bailey John
02-18-2007, 9:30 PM
Unfortunately we all can't get what we want....(Rollling Stones circa 1970) You have to take whats available on the networks as our hobby isnt too mainstream to dedicate the kind of shows we all would most appreciate. I've been watching David Marks, Norm, Amy, etal for several years - even ty Penningon! I have not read all the posts on this topic but for the OP I do suggest looking at DVR/Tivo to record whats on then deciding to keep what you like. To each your own, YMMV, etc.

From all the above shows I try to take the topics I can to lear from despite my preferences.

Mike Langford
02-18-2007, 10:54 PM
I like David Marks and Woodworks and like Mark (Singer) said he has technique out the wazoo in about all aspects of the craft.
In the early shows David appears stiff and dry in his delivery of his lines and to some people may have come across as having an attitude, probably 'cause he's not a T.V. personality (neither was Norm for that matter) but as the shows progressed he "loosened up" and came IMHO more relaxed and personable. I think he is a good teacher and I enjoy his program very much.

I don't care for all of David's projects as well as some of Norm's (the one where he built the flag pole comes to mind!;) ) but I learn a lot from his technique and I think that he make us think "outside the box" with some of his "artsy" creations like the turtle toy box,wishbone magazine rack,or even the drum box coffee table!

Every Saturday starting at 10 a.m my local SC PBS airs Norm (NYW) followed by Roy Underhill (Woodwright shop) Then at 3.30 p.m. the NC PBS station airs different NYW and Woodwright shop episodes.....
.....Then at 9 p.m. DIY airs three episodes of Woodworks back to back followed by Amy at 10.30 with FreeForm Furniture! It's a wonder I get anything done on the weekends:D but I go to bed Saturday night with a smile on my face!!!

Kyle Kraft
02-19-2007, 7:56 AM
I find that I can pick up tidbits from all the woodworking shows. I like the hosts of some shows more than others, but I always learn something, or better yet, see something laying around their workshops that I can build such as jigs or fixtures.

Personally, I'm glad that there is a variety of shows to enjoy from the neanderthal to the high tech, and I can learn from all of them.

Stephen Young
02-19-2007, 8:32 AM
Woodworks tops my list of shows available.

My feeling is that Mark's projects are selected more for the technique they allow him to demonstrate then the final project itself (although all very beautiful). When I see an episode I come away with a better understanding of "bent laminations" or "curved frame joinery", or "vacuum bagging", etc. His projects allow him to demonstrate techniques... how you apply them, or what they inspire you too is what makes woodworking enjoyable for me and thus Woodworks a standout.

Thomas Prondzinski
02-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I personally like woodworks,not that I'm that accomplished of a woodworker but inspires me to get better.Norm is great and has taught all of us a thing or two,as does David you may not get everything but you have to admit you can learn something.I also attended a fall seminar with David Marks it was great. One thing I got out of it was "If you want to try something then do it, if you don't try then you"ll never know" As I say in his bentwood laminations, wow I didn't think wood would bend like that. Stay tuned for my bentwood laminated coffe table. Thanks David

Tom

Enjoying pushing the limits of bending wood Thanks Again David:D

Adam Bauer
02-19-2007, 1:11 PM
I dunno, it's been about a 2:1 ratio on David Marks projects for me. For about every three he makes I can see 1 of them being something I would like in my house and 2 that would be nice to make but I wouldn't put it in my home. Also I think his teaching style is excellent. I started watching the DIY shows shortly after buying my lathe and was actually watching Woodturning Techniques and Woodworks came on after. I started watching it even though at the time I had no interest in "flat work" because I liked Marks's personality, and his teaching style so much. In fact I stopped watching the woodturning show because the host was terrible in his teaching. Marks explains things in a pretty good amount of detail especially for it being a 30 minute show. Also if you are paying attention, a lot of times if he had to cut out a bunch of information he mentions it, look at his marquetry show for example, it looks quick but he not only takes a few seconds to mention that it is incredibly time consuming but also that he went through like 7 blades just cutting out the first couple of pieces. Yea, you never saw any of that but really, how exciting is watching a guy use a hand plane, or sander, or heck even a bandsaw. Factor in commecials and you have about 22 minutes of content in a show, how many people can completely build a project, even a simple one, in a mere 20 minutes?

Rod Sheridan
02-19-2007, 2:44 PM
Of all the woodworking shows I watch, I like the Woodwrights' Shop the best.

Roy Underhill brings humour, insight and entertainment into the building of everything from an spice cabinet with inlay work, to a mallet or shaving horse.

On Roys show, you actually see a section of tree split into pieces, roughed out with an axe or adze, then sawn, planed, dovetailed, dadoed etc all with tools that produce aromatic shavings as opposed to clouds of choking MDF dust.

Norm inspires me to purchase a wide belt sander that won't fit in my shop, Roy inspires me too sharpen my hand tools and my skills.

it's all a matter of personal likes and dislikes, which is why I dislike the router workshops so much. It seems to me, that on the router shows, you learn how to do things with a router in an unsafe manner, that are better done on other machines in the shop.

The best thing about all of these shows, whether I like them or not, is that they are attracting new people to the craft. This is the true accomplishment of these shows.

Regards, Rod.