PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat/ Shark Guard Installation

Alan Greene
02-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi All,
I got my Shark Guard in the mail today. I installed it this evening and took some pictures of the installation. The install was very easy and quick. 30 minutes including taking pictures. The first picture shows all of the parts including the 3 different size splitters.
Picture 2 shows my Craftsman 22124 splitter attachment
The small roll pin needs to be pushed back or removed.
I removed the two bolts that hold the spring clip and attached the new splitter holder. the only departure from Lee's instructions was the fact that I had to take out the upper mount bolt in the back to get the new longer bolts in. the two were interfering just enough that the threads on the new bolt wanted to cross thread. I also used my Blade Loc as a cover over the saw blade
The new splitter holder/quick disconnect is installed
to be continued

Alan Greene
02-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Part two:
The new splitter assembly installed.
And the Shark Guard complete

I do need to double check the alignment of the splitter when I have some natural light in the morning. It may be just a hair off and need a small adjustment. The quality of the parts was a lot better than I expected after looking at some of the pictures on lee's sight. So far I am extremely happy with it. The acid test will be in the morning when I do the final adjustment on the splitter, turn on the DC and make sawdust

Peter Stahl
02-18-2007, 9:50 AM
Looks good Alan. What are you using for dust collection? Let us know how it does keeping the dust off the top of the saw.

Al Willits
02-18-2007, 9:59 AM
Thanks for posting, looking for one for my Hybrid Delta saw.

We just need someone to load up on body amour and see how well the splitter works....:)

Just wondering, can you run the guard without the anti kick back pawls?

Al

J. Greg Jones
02-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for posting, looking for one for my Hybrid Delta saw.

We just need someone to load up on body amour and see how well the splitter works....:)

Just wondering, can you run the guard without the anti kick back pawls?

Al

I have one on my Delta Hybrid and it works great. The guard can be run without the paws, in fact they are not included in the basic kit-they are added as an option if you want them.

Alan Greene
02-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I adjusted the splitter this morning by adding a piece of metal tape on the OEM splitter holder. It was fast and worked great.

Peter: I am using a Delta 50-760 1.5 hp DC with a 1 micron bag. The DC works great for me in my garage. It handled cutting MDF with the shark great. I had very little dust at all on the top of the saw and a great clean cut. I used to get a lot of dust on the table top and in-between the fence rails. None of that this morning.

Al: I decided to purchase the pawls as an addition to the kit. That is just my personal preference. It is very easy and quick, seconds actually, to remove the guard portion, if absolutely necessary, and then you still have the splitter. For my craftsman it came with 3 different sizes, I believe some come with 4. It is less than a minute to change splitter sizes so that is easy as well. The smallest should work with a sled.

I am very happy with the whole setup and Lee's customer service is great.

Bob Spare
02-19-2007, 9:05 AM
Have the Shark Guard installed. Ready to hook up my 4" hose to it. Did you drop from the ceiling or boom mount your hose. Right at this point can go either way.

Looking for functional ideas.

Alan Greene
02-19-2007, 7:25 PM
Bob, I am going to suspend mine from the ceiling. I don't like the idea of a boom as I have a router extension on my saw.