PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 358 Miter Box Resto

Tom Hamilton
02-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi Creekers:

My travels this week put me in front of a late 19 teens- early 1920's Stanley 358 Miter Box, and what do you know it followed me home. The saw is 5" by 28" and is the original.

Today I disassembled the 358 58167, wire wheeled the parts that would respond to cleaning that way and put the rusty cast iron pieces in the spooge tank. In this case I used phosphoric acid from the paint dept at the Borg.

The front upright was attached with a bend nail; can't you just see some carpenter years ago breaking the threaded piece and substituting a handy nail.

The backer board on the table was a 5 inch wide piece of cedar fence picket. The board is not discolored or terribly dry so I'm assuming the previous owner was using this tool recently. I think I try to find a little more distingushed species to the table board for this nearly 100 year old tool. Any suggestions.

I plan to restore it as a user not a museum piece or showpiece.

More photos to follow as the process matures.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, elbow deep in 3M pads and WD-40

James Mittlefehldt
02-18-2007, 8:24 AM
Tom if you don't mind me asking what did that set you back, I have my eyes on one in an antique place for $125 Canadian, but the guy says he would happily take $95, and it does not need much restoration, a bit of surface rust on the simmonds blade and that is pretty much it.

Well that and sharpening the saw.

Tom Hamilton
02-18-2007, 3:09 PM
Hi James: I don't mind you asking at all: $50 US cash. He had a $75 sticker on it, I had been in his shop for an hour + and bought an old Miller Falls "yankee" screwdriver, and I mentioned the miter box. He said I've got one in the truck, let's go look. He discounted to $50 without my asking and I thought the gentlemenly thing to do was pay quickly before he changed his mind.

There are a couple of 358's on Ebay this week (300082529542); I did not research previous sales.

Here's a couple of pic of parts after spending the night in the "phoso" soak:

Enjoy the chase, Tom

James Mittlefehldt
02-19-2007, 8:14 AM
I suspect that when I next go there, I will pick it up, the whole thing looks fairly good, and I suspect it would be a useful addition to my shop.

Chances are though when I do go again it will be gone and I will have to spring for the 45 he has for $95, subject to negotiation of course as his sticker prices seem to have little relavance to actual sale prices.

Tom Hamilton
02-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Creekers:

The 358 went back together with no left over parts and actually cut a piece of base molding this afternoon.

The name plate cleaned up nicely with any damage

and having the foot makes it even more intersting as the foot is usually missing on these.

The foot acts as a stop for repeating same length cuts by extending out from the saw on metal rods. Very clever.

Final pic58542 shows the 28" saw in the up position and the refinished handle.

It's a user again and an interesting tool to have. Now if it can just figure out where to put it in my little shop.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston

jonathan snyder
02-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Nice restore Tom!

I was in Pennsylvania last month, hunting for old tools. My Dad picked up a 358 for cutting picture frame molding. He just had the saw sharpened at Cookes, but I haven't seen any picture frames yet!!! Dad is a lurker here, maybe this will prompt him to post a frame or two.

There are a couple of pics here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50760

Jonathan

Tom Hamilton
02-22-2007, 8:39 AM
Thanks Jonathan, it was a fun project even if not 100% woodworking. Building a tank to hold three gallons of phoso acid brings it closer to woodworking.

The photos of your Dad's saw shows he got a good one. One of the experts on the Old Tools List says the position of the Sweetheart in the Stanley rectangle indicate that your Dad's 358, and mine, were made between 1920 and 1922.

I'm nosing around for a Stanley 42X saw set and am going to learn how to sharpen the beast; I've figure I've got 280 chances to get it right on that blade.

Best regards, Tom