PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Snipe/not flat joints--LONG

Christopher Hunter
02-17-2007, 6:38 PM
I just got my first jointer last weekend and have been playing around a little before I get into something that is notable as a woodworking piece..
anyway, I have found that on most boards that I run through i tend to get a few that are wider in the middle than at the ends and I also have a few places that if it were on a planer I would call it snipe---
Am I just trying to use it incorrectly or do I have it set up wrong?
The jointer is a jet 6" cabinet stand..
And I bought the cabinet model with intentions of getting a dust collector and I notice that when I use the jointer, a lot of material comes back up on the table--- would this be hindering the cuts as well????
Thanks in advance for any help--
--Chris

Dennis Peacock
02-17-2007, 6:48 PM
Chris,

Check the alignment of the outfee table to the exact height of the knives in the cutterhead. The outfeed needs to be as "dead on" as you can get it with the height of the knives. Also check both the infeed and outfee for any "droop" between them. This can also yield some not so flat cuts. Both table surfaces need to be perfectly flat with each other during setup.
One thing I learned is to never pick up or move a jointer by either end of the table surfaces. This can throw them out of alignment enough to create you several headaches in the middle of a project. DAMHIKT!!!!!

Oh and Congrats on the new jointer. :D

Christopher Hunter
02-17-2007, 6:56 PM
Thanks Dennis,
BTW aren't we supposed to be over in the turning section of the Creek /////
LOL
--Chris

Carroll Courtney
02-17-2007, 7:47 PM
The shaving coming up is cause by a build up of shaving in the shoot.Unplug the jointer and reach up inside and pull the shaving out.My 6" jet does this all the time.

Joe Chritz
02-17-2007, 8:16 PM
I used to get taper on some boards with my ridgid.

After extensive searching and lots of foul language I discovered there was a dip in the outfeed table just after the knives. They were dead on with the knives except for this one little hole. As long as I slide the fence past that spot it went back to cutting true.

Work on the technique also. Until I practiced a lot it seemed like science fiction. As long as the freshly cut edge is riding on the outfeed the entire way it should be flat.

I use the fence to check the cut for being flat.

Good luck and grats on the new toy.

Joe

Jim Becker
02-17-2007, 8:38 PM
If the shavings are getting caught in the dust chute, be sure there are no obstructions or misalignments causing the problem. They should not be collecting inside the machine.