PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Drill Press

Ron Bible
02-17-2007, 5:11 PM
RIKON 30-240 DRILL PRESS
Can anyone give me some ratings on this machine, pros, cons, etc. It's under five hundred dollars where I live. I like to hear from people who actually own a machine before I buy it.
Thanks much, Ron

Rennie Heuer
02-17-2007, 8:49 PM
RIKON 30-240 DRILL PRESS
Can anyone give me some ratings on this machine, pros, cons, etc. It's under five hundred dollars where I live. I like to hear from people who actually own a machine before I buy it.
Thanks much, Ron
Hi Ron,

I own the 30-240, purchased about 1 year ago. I have had no problems with it though I have not done any extensive work, it has performed well and the fit and finish are quite good. It was highly rated every time it was tested by the magazines. My only complaint is that the massive 3/4" chuck will not close down small enough to grab anything smaller than 1/4".

If you need this large a beast then it is a good buy. If not, you might look at the Rigid. Much less $$ and a lifetime warranty. None-the-less, the Rikon is a good machine and I'm happy with it.

Hope this helps!

Matthew Batarseh
02-17-2007, 11:29 PM
I've had mine for about a year. I got it because the Delta I was looking at was out of stock at my local Woodcraft, I have the Rikon 18" Bandsaw and had good luck and support on that and the salesman talked me and a friend into getting this DP instead of waiting.

When I first got it I could not get it to run at the highest RPM's without blowing my circuit breaker. The circuit is the GFCI circuit that was already in my garage. This circuit also has trouble with my pancake compressor so I am not sure what to say about that other than the startup amps seem a little high. support was no help on this one. I got around this by installing a subpanel in my garage when I upgraded some other tools and put a big 115V circuit in to swap between the DP and the compressor.

Just a week or so ago the rubber gasket in the switch melted causing the contacts to get gummed in the on position. Had to unplug it to turn it off. Emailed support and they sent out a new switch that day. I fixed the original switch by taking it apart and cleaning it out but the extra will be nice just in case something else melts with those startup amps.

I replaced the chuck with a Jacobs that could handle smaller bits as I needed to be able to use a 1/8" bit for a circle jig I use for speaker cutouts.

I have some play in my column somewhere that I was noticing as I used it tonight that I need to talk with their support about.

Overall an OK machine but if I were to do it over again I would not buy it.

Hank Wangford
08-19-2011, 6:41 AM
RIKON 30-240 DRILL PRESS
Thanks much, Ron

You could check out the review at this site Rikon Drill Press (http://drillpress-reviews.info/rikon-30-230-drill-press-review/).

Ken Massingale
08-19-2011, 6:52 AM
I've had the 30-240 about a year and aside from the chuck not closing for real small bits, I haven't regretted it at all. That's a great price!

Matthew which Jacob chuck did you get, please?

Ken