PDA

View Full Version : Software to Tile Murals

Tom Cullen
02-17-2007, 4:25 PM
I'm interested in locating software that will eliminate the steps in Corel to Tile a mural for laser engraving. I think someone mentioned a while back that this does exist? has anyone bought this and tried it? I know there are a number of ways ( well two that I know) that tiling can be done in Corel but I find this tedious to do and look forward to finding a point and click method.

Thanks All
Tom

Gary Hair
02-17-2007, 4:41 PM
I'm interested in locating software that will eliminate the steps in Corel to Tile a mural for laser engraving. I think someone mentioned a while back that this does exist? has anyone bought this and tried it? I know there are a number of ways ( well two that I know) that tiling can be done in Corel but I find this tedious to do and look forward to finding a point and click method.

Thanks All
Tom

I did a LOT of research into this and found that the programs that are out there really don't do everything I wanted and in the manner I wanted it to be done. What I ended up with, and am very happy with, is PhotoZoom Professional and Corel. I use PhotoZoom to enlarge the image and Corel to do the tiling. PhotoZoom uses an algorithym that is so superior to anything else out there that you would be amazed at the quality of picture it produces. The difference between it and resampling in PhotoPaint is pretty major, in fact there really is no comparison between the two. Most programs will result in a blurred image when you go very large but not so in PhotoZoom.
As for Corel, it really couldn't be any easier to do this in any program.
My entire process is:
1. Enlarge the image to the size I need in PhotoZoom.
2. Create a grid in Corel using the graph paper tool with the correct number of rows/columns.
3. Place the image into the grid using PowerClip
4. Ungroup the grid
5. Print, or laser, the individual images. If you want to use PhotoGrav to process the image for lasering, all you have to do is process each tile in PhotoGrav and then print from Corel as usual.

It's not exactly point and click but you can make some serious money doing this and it will be worth your time.

I use this for dye sub ceramic murals as well as laser engraved murals and the results are pretty amazing!

Gary

Luke Phillips
02-17-2007, 4:47 PM
You might try Mural 8 from CTP Imaging - used for dye sublimation on tiles. www.noveltycentral.com (http://www.noveltycentral.com). I've used it to do tiles - pretty simple to use.

Pete Simmons
02-17-2007, 6:51 PM
I have used a program called Big Picture.

Works good on an inkjet printer might work with the laser.

Bruce Volden
02-17-2007, 7:06 PM
Here's how I do it. Assume 12" tiles and you need 5' area for engraving.

1- size image to engrave

2- draw 12" square "boxes" in Corel to match engraving area (in my case oriented top left corner) (5-12" tiles = 5")

3- the top left "box" is transparent or non existent

4- place first part of image in transparent / non existent box and engrave

5- NUDGE 12" to next area to engrave .....viola! (nudging image of course)

Just make certain all "boxes" are hollow/white and have a white outline so they don't engrave!!!

There is probably some program out there, but heck, this works beautifully and is very fast to set up. Can't see doling out money to vendors needlessly:eek: I had to figure this out "pre-web" years ago for a mfgr's lobby, I engraved a huge WELCOME in granite. It lasted about 7 years and then I had to do another one (wear/tear). Is this clear as mud????

Bruce