PDA

View Full Version : My Toolbox Pictures (PFW)

Jeff Craven
02-17-2007, 2:07 PM
This is the toolbox that I built at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop. A lot of credit should go to Alan Turner & Mario Rodriguez, because I didn't even know what a handplane was, before I stepped foot in Alan's workshop in september. And watching Mario knockout some dovetails is very inspiring. The design is Mario's & it is made out of mahogany & oak with a boiled linseed oil finish.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5516/toolbox1jh7.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7188/toolbox3qj9.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2194/toolbox2fc2.jpg

and my tool collection: :D
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8555/toolsim4.jpg

Roy McQuay
02-17-2007, 2:51 PM
Nice work Jeff, I like the use of dovetails to attach the bottom. It should last forever. What do you suppose your great grandchildren will do with it ?

Dan Forman
02-17-2007, 3:07 PM
Good job on the toolbox, wish Alan's workshop was closer to me. Nice set of tools too.

Dan

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
02-17-2007, 4:16 PM
Beautiful and simple....It's very nice to see.

rick fulton
02-17-2007, 4:56 PM
Jeff, that looks fantastic. Clean design, tight dovetails, and very utilitarian project. Nice photos also. Which PFW classes have you taken?
rick

Jim Becker
02-17-2007, 6:53 PM
Beautiful work, Jeff! No doubt that it's a very strong tool box, too!

You couldn't have picked a better place to do some learning...Alan and Mario are running a top-notch school. The facility is great and they know what they are doing!

Andrew Homan
02-17-2007, 8:45 PM
Looks great, Jeff. Sounds like a good class to take, too -- that project really gave you a workout on various joints. What are the round joints? Also, are the long side pieces attached to the bottom -- if so, how?
-Andy

Ron Brese
02-17-2007, 9:21 PM
Jeff that's an outstanding tool box, I'm sure it will stay in your family for quite a long time, and the photography is also awesome.

Ron

Ken Werner
02-17-2007, 9:23 PM
She's a keeper. Very nice work.
Ken

Jerry Olexa
02-17-2007, 11:07 PM
A work of art...Beautiful...well done

Jeff Craven
02-18-2007, 9:25 AM
Thank you everyone.

Jeff, that looks fantastic. Clean design, tight dovetails, and very utilitarian project. Nice photos also. Which PFW classes have you taken?
rickI took Alan's 'Woodworking with Handtools' which taught the basics about how the tools work. It helped me figure out what I wanted and acquire good tools. Then I took Mario's toolbox course which was a great overall project based course. It started with an explanation of the design, then we jumped right into preparing the pieces and cutting the joinery. Then I learned how to fix some of my mistakes. :o These two courses were a great jumpstart for my woodworking. And I'm sure I'll be back at PFW soon. The workshop is very well equipped, there is a wealth of knowledge & the instructors are friendly and generous.

Looks great, Jeff. Sounds like a good class to take, too -- that project really gave you a workout on various joints. What are the round joints? Also, are the long side pieces attached to the bottom -- if so, how?
-AndyThe original plan was to use a blind mortise & tenon to attach the sides, but we spent extra time on the dovetails & ran out of time. So the sides have screws which were covered with plugs. For the sides, Mario set up the router to cut the bead, but I told him I wanted to do it the hardway & he brought out a rabbet plane & a wooden beading plane to cut them by hand.:D The bottom isn't attached to the sides, but I may add some screws and maybe some feet to protect the dovetails from getting too banged up.

Michael Pilla
02-18-2007, 9:49 AM
It'a beautiful toolbox (and it looks even better in person). Sounds like it was a great class, I'm sorry I missed it.

Michael

Andrew Homan
02-18-2007, 10:17 AM
For the sides, Mario set up the router to cut the bead, but I told him I wanted to do it the hardway & he brought out a rabbet plane & a wooden beading plane to cut them by hand.

Good choice!
You are going to enjoy using that toolbox!
-Andy

harry strasil
02-18-2007, 11:26 AM
FWIW, If it wasn't for the bead you could fasten the bottom to the sides like I did a few years ago on a project, I drilled holes at a 45 thru the side and bottom and put dowels in, keeps the bottom from sagging and the side from bulging. Its a small bead so still possible.

Wilbur Pan
02-18-2007, 1:08 PM
Very nice work. I'd like to ask, why were the end and bottom panels dovetailed? My little brain would have assumed that the end and side panels would be the ones to be dovetailed, and the bottom set in using a groove of some sort, much like a drawer.