PDA

View Full Version : Door hanging and hinge question?

Alan Tolchinsky
02-17-2007, 1:07 PM
Hi All,

I have a storage unit in my garage that I want to hang doors on. Each opening is 30" wide and the unit has a face frame. The doors are just some 1x4 pine that I've pocket screwed together and then I'll cover with hardboard. The veritcle stiles are 1.5 inches wide and I'll use two doors per opening.

So.... if I want 1/2" overlay with the doors what kind of hinges do I buy? How do you prevent interference when two doors have their hinges on one stile? If anybody could give me some pointers on hanging these doors I'd realy appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Jim Becker
02-17-2007, 1:30 PM
For a 1/2" overlay, if the entire door panel is outside of the cabinet, you want full overlay hinges, to the best of my knowledge. If you're routing out the edges of the door, then it's the "other overlay" version...again to the best of my knowledge. I just started using Euro hinges and only do inset doors, so overlay is not my forté.

Grant Wilkinson
02-17-2007, 5:30 PM
Alan
You need half-overlay hinges since the doors on the hinge side are going to overlap the stile only by half its width. If the doors on each end are going to overlap the outside stile by its full width, you will use full overlay on those doors only. As for interference, you should vary the height of the hinges on the doors that are going to be hinged on the same stile so that the screws for the plates do not hit each other.
If I've not been clear enough, let me know and I'll try again.
Grant
Ottawa ON

Alan Tolchinsky
02-17-2007, 8:21 PM
Grant, Thanks a lot; that makes a lot of sense. You've got me started in the right direction. I wouldn't have thought to use different hinges for the end doors so I 'm glad you pointed this out too. Thanks again. Alan