PDA

View Full Version : Help-Router went South

ron hill
02-17-2007, 12:17 PM
My DW625 has decided it doesn't want to run anymore. The switch had to be toggled several times before it would start and then there would be subtle changes in the speed. Now it won't turn on at all. I've taken it apart and eveything appears to be clean. The router is about 10-11 years old. Is it worth repairing or should I just replace it and with what. This model has the horses but doesn't work very well in my Bench Dog table. Changing the panel raising bits is really a problem with it.Do the 2-2 1/2 HP routers have enough power for raising panels and swinging other big bits?
Thanks Ron

glenn bradley
02-17-2007, 1:35 PM
Router HP is a lot like Shop-vac HP. I always go by amps; 12 - 15 for large bits. Not sure what your DW puts out but when running was it strong enough?

At that age I would check your brushes for sure. After that, I'd check the switch. All that having been done I would suspect motor trouble and probably replace. You've gotten some good years out of that guy.

P.s. Just checked and the current DW625 is rated at 15 amps which should be plenty of power. My Mil is 15 amps and I have yet to annoy it with large bits. I have to remember to take multiple passes as the router will plow through if I want to.

ron hill
02-17-2007, 5:42 PM
Glen,
Thanks, I've checked the brushes and the switch so I guess it's more than likely the motor. Power has never been an issue so far. Do you have your Mil in a router table and if so how does it work for you. I've really been impressed with the DeWalt except for the bit changing thing. I think I'll just replace it, I just don't know what with. You read lots of good things about a lot of different routers so guess it boils down to preference.

Corey Hallagan
02-17-2007, 7:25 PM
Ron, I have that same router ( about a year and half old now) and like you say it has lots of power but kind of a pain to adjust in my Bench Dog. It's better with the add on heighth adjustment knob.

Corey

Ken Massingale
02-18-2007, 8:14 AM
Going 'South' shouldn't be considered a bad condition. If that was the case we wouldn't have all these dang Northern 'immigrants down here! ;-D

Jim Dunn
02-18-2007, 9:13 AM
I think he meant "South" as in straight down from the equator, N pole or S pole. As to the router it sounds like the motor to me also.

ron hill
02-18-2007, 9:36 AM
Going 'South' shouldn't be considered a bad condition. If that was the case we wouldn't have all these dang Northern 'immigrants down here! ;-D
Sorry Ken, I never ever thought of it or meant it that way. It's a stupid expression when you think about it. I love going south even if only for a few weeks.

scott spencer
02-18-2007, 9:48 AM
Hi Ron - I've got a MW5625 15 amp, and a Freud FT1700 13 amp router. Both will spin big panel raisers, but the MW definitely has an easier time of it. The FT1700 is fine for occasional panels. I love it's above table features, but if you're going to do that task often, I'd opt for the bigger machine.

MW5625 (http://www.epinions.com/content_245903494788)

FT1700 (http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116)