PDA

View Full Version : Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Byron Trantham
12-04-2003, 1:00 PM
I live in northern Virginia and it's snowing! Can't believe it. It may turn into something. :D

Von Bickley
12-04-2003, 1:02 PM
Byron,
Hope you keep it all up there. We don't need any down here. :cool:

Byron Trantham
12-04-2003, 1:06 PM
Byron,
Hope you keep it all up there. We don't need any down here. :cool:

Von, that's fine with me. I'm retired so I don't have to fight the traffic and my wife and I always enjoy a good snow.

Mike Circo
12-04-2003, 1:09 PM
Well in NE Illinois, they have threatened us with"1-2 inches", "1-3 inches" or "3-6 inches" depending on what weather report I am listening to.

Either way, some white stuff is expected soon.

Byron Trantham
12-04-2003, 1:19 PM
Well in NE Illinois, they have threatened us with"1-2 inches", "1-3 inches" or "3-6 inches" depending on what weather report I am listening to.

Either way, some white stuff is expected soon.
Hey, Mike, do you have an export license? :D We could use 3-6"

Glenn Clabo
12-04-2003, 1:56 PM
Byron,
After spending all those years down there in VA I learned that 1 flake and I stay home. I wanted to get out of the way of all those trucks replenishing all the milk, bread and toilet paper.:D

Byron Trantham
12-04-2003, 2:00 PM
Byron,
After spending all those years down there in VA I learned that 1 flake and I stay home. I wanted to get out of the way of all those trucks replenishing all the milk, bread and toilet paper.:D

Glenn, right on!!!! I commuted between the District and home for 25+ years. ANY snow or freezing rain caused a "day off". I never had an accident BUT boy did I see a bunch!

Wes Bischel
12-04-2003, 2:29 PM
It's the same here in SE PA - bread and milk fly off the shelves and the schools close if one flake falls. I grew up in the Chicago area where during the blizzard of '79 my high school closed for the first time in over 60 years - naturally the principal told me as I walked in the door! :rolleyes: Though in all fairness, they do a good job clearing the roads in Chicago (compared to Lancaster) - here we are not as lucky so staying home is usually a wise decision.

Wes

Jim Becker
12-04-2003, 3:03 PM
We get it late tonight/tomorrow morning...'tis the season.

Dan McLaughlin
12-04-2003, 3:33 PM
We get it late tonight/tomorrow morning...'tis the season.

and tomorrow night and Saturday morning. Grrrr...... I bought a snowblower to guarantee that it would not snow this season (reverse Irish logic). So much for my guarantee and "reverse Irish logic" :)

Eddie Severt
12-04-2003, 9:24 PM
We started with freezing rain, which turned to rain, which will turn back to freezing rain tonight 1-2 inches snow and ice. I dread it, I drive a school bus up these West Virginia hollows. 81 passenger up one lane dirt roads. I will normally use up 8 to 10 sets of chains a year. I guess I should be used to it by now, I've been doing it for 27 years. This is besides taking care of the farm animals. Oh well, if the power doesn't go off, maybe I'll have time for some woodworking.

Andy Halterman
12-04-2003, 10:37 PM
2 inches on the ground this morning before it turned to sleet then to freezing rain and then just rain. Weather folks say more tomorrow night and saturday am. Just wantin' the ice on those parkway road cuts to freeze up nice and thick. My crampons are getting restless. :D

There was four inches on the high trails last sunday. Made for some great mtn. biking. I love winter.

Andy Halterman

Experimented with rear wheel steering techniques today in Hendersonville, NC

Glenn Clabo
12-05-2003, 4:52 AM
We started with freezing rain, which turned to rain, which will turn back to freezing rain tonight 1-2 inches snow and ice. I dread it, I drive a school bus up these West Virginia hollows. 81 passenger up one lane dirt roads. I will normally use up 8 to 10 sets of chains a year. I guess I should be used to it by now, I've been doing it for 27 years. This is besides taking care of the farm animals. Oh well, if the power doesn't go off, maybe I'll have time for some woodworking.

Eddie...Holy smack! Driving a school bus is hard enough...but for 27 years in WV winters? My family would be visiting me in a looney bin.

Mike Evertsen
12-05-2003, 8:51 AM
I'm ready for spring ,,,,,,,I'm ready for warm sunny days,,,I'm ready to shut off the furnaces and open the windows,,,,,I hate whats coming,,,,the snow,,,the ice ,,,the salt,,,,that damn cold weather that makes joints hurt,,,,,Illinios lottery take me away from this,,,,,,:cool:

Glenn Clabo
12-05-2003, 8:58 AM
According to our guess-the-weather dude...up to 12 inches and 55 mph winds are on the way for the weekend! More a little north of us...I think the snowthrower needs a tuneup!
Just for you warm weather people...here's what a beginning winter forcast looks like..

Carl Eyman
12-05-2003, 9:44 AM
KEEP IT THERE, KEEP IT THERE, KEEP IT THERE

And by the way, make sure it has gone by the time the Williamsburg clambake starts in January

Don Abele
12-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Glenn, sure wish I was back up in Maine to see that same kind of forecast. Here in Chesapeake all we are getting is a lot of rain. :mad: I miss the snow - 2 years in Washington State and now a year here...it's been too long.

Be well,

Doc

Ken Frantz
12-05-2003, 1:07 PM
Have seen enough snow and cold when I lived in North Central Oklahoma and south Kansas!!!!!

It gets a bit chilly here in North Central Florida (Ocala)--have seen snow here in 1987 + or - a few years ago---and sure enjoying this nice 60-80 temp and sunshine during the day time.

I will be a thinking about you all having all of that FUN in the white stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEN

Jim Becker
12-05-2003, 2:46 PM
Well, I just put the 'hoe on the Kubota for ballast and did the first quick plow so that the mail-person would actually stop at the box. Six inches so far and they're now calling for at least that much more tonight overnight. It's looking pretty white out there!

Kevin Beck
12-05-2003, 4:51 PM
Snow? That white stuff that falls from the sky when it gets cold? We don't do that here (at least not very often). The last "big" snowfall I can remember in Florida was in 1976 and it was less than 4". My kids got to play in the snow in Yosemite in March. They thought it was cool (no pun intended). They were surprised at how cold it was (must get that from mom). LOML thinks anything less than 80 is cold.

I could use a little of that cold weather. I'm still having to mow my lawn.

Kevni

Bob Lasley
12-05-2003, 6:18 PM
Have seen enough snow and cold when I lived in North Central Oklahoma and south Kansas!!!!!

It gets a bit chilly here in North Central Florida (Ocala)--have seen snow here in 1987 + or - a few years ago---and sure enjoying this nice 60-80 temp and sunshine during the day time.

I will be a thinking about you all having all of that FUN in the white stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEN

Ken,

I was just thinking how we don't get any snow compared to "up north". But I guess compared to where you are we have a bitterly cold, snowy winter!

BTW, are you still coming this way for the holidays to enjoy some of our winter?

Bob

Ken Frantz
12-05-2003, 6:51 PM
We did have a cold spell, down to 30 which kinda stopped the mowing part. BUT the leaves are sure falling NOW!!!!

LOVE THIS FLORIDA WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEN again

Ken Frantz
12-05-2003, 7:14 PM
Good evening Bob!!!!

I don't know if i am goin to make up that way or not. I need to take a Florida "vacation". I need to get my workshop (barn) put up. I am retired and don't get vacation time, but my son works 5 1/2 days a week and I need him to help me get the building put up. I just can't do all that climbing anway more It has been in the building process for about 2 years. It is a 24 x 48 arch/metal building and everything is ready to go. After the arches are up atleast I can get the tools and junque out of the a WIFE'S GARAGE"!!!!!! HI HI HI. When the arches are done I can get the woodwork part done like the front wall and the "office" space built etc.

Also I am trying to convence the wife (she and my son is the working ones) to go on a spring or fall vacation this next year. We have alway made the trip up to Ft Smith at Christmas the last 25 years. And now these old bones don't like that cold. It is bad enough here for me. But I will have do some tall talking to convence her. Sure would like to go to Terry"s BBQ next fall.

So it is touch and go at the moment

KEN

Julie Wright
12-11-2003, 8:54 PM
Oh yeah, Now I remember why I moved to SC... Philly 18 years!!! We had 30" of the white stuff my last winter there. Ever try driving an ambulance behind a snow plow? They just don't move fast enough.
Ya all can keep your cold, rainey, snowy winters...

although I do miss the white stuff from time to time, but it is for a fleeting moment.

According to our guess-the-weather dude...up to 12 inches and 55 mph winds are on the way for the weekend! More a little north of us...I think the snowthrower needs a tuneup!
Just for you warm weather people...here's what a beginning winter forcast looks like..