PDA

View Full Version : Close to a decision-new laser-comments please

Larry Bratton
02-17-2007, 10:57 AM
After reading the great information posted here, various other articles etc. I am close to a decision on the new laser and I would appreciate any comments good or bad.
At this time, I am almost ready to place the initial deposit on an Epilog Helix 18 x 24 -40w. My decision is based on a couple of things, paramount being that the Epilog distributor is within 50 miles of me and service is at the top of my list. Considering that I am new to lasers, I am going to depend on him for training, assisting with the setup and doing some initial on site training. Since I am close to him geographically I would hope to establish a better working relationship than I would with someone over the phone in a distant city. If I run into difficulties, hopefully he will be easy to contact.
As far as the machine itself goes, it appears that the Epilog machines are very high quality with many built in features The 18 x 24 size lends itself to using 1/4 sheets of plastic engraving stock with some room left over if needed. I did not feel that the next step up to the Legend for another $8000 or so was what I need to spend. I don't have a need at this time for that size bed. I own a 16 x 24 Vision rotary engraver and I can remember a time when that size wasn't adequate for what we were doing.(Mainly signage for door and room identification). Input appreciated.

Frank Corker
02-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi Larry I have that machine and I am 100% satisfied with my service I received from Epilog. I encountered a problem a short time ago (search on my previous posts) and not only did they resolve my problem, they went above and beyond their committments.

The machine is fantastic to use and loads of room. Joe Pelonio is a well established Sawmill Creek critter and he does a great deal of excellent work with his Epilog, mainly to do with signage.

I have NO bad things to say about the machine, it's brilliant!

Larry Bratton
02-17-2007, 2:10 PM
Frank, I notice yours is 45w, I was thinking 40, would that additional 5w make any real difference aside from separating me from my cash? Thanks for the reply.

Frank Corker
02-17-2007, 4:23 PM
No Larry not a great deal. All the settings for mine are exactly the same as for the 40 watt so make of that what you will. I would say though, given the chance when I bought my machine (and we pay pounds for what you pay dollars), had I had the money available I would have gone for the 75 watt. That one would have made a big difference I think. But still, no complaints.

Gary Hair
02-17-2007, 4:47 PM
I don't have a need at this time for that size bed.

I bought a GCC with a 38" x 20" bed and I do work quite often that other engravers in town can't do. $8,000 worth? Not quite yet but it will surpass that sooner rather than later. Plus it has given me an "in" with companies because I don't have that size limit restriction that others have. If I had the choice between 30, 45 and 75 watts or 18" x 24" and 32" x 20", I would go with the larger bed. I have not had a job yet that my 30 watt laser can't do but I have done jobs that a smaller bed couldn't handle.

You say you don't have a need at this time but I bet you will put it to use if you have it.

Just my .02

Gary

Mike Hood
02-17-2007, 6:53 PM
I think anyone who has a larger bed, has wondered how they'dd possible do with less.

The 38" width, and pass-through doors make mine a dream to work with. At LEAST get a unit you can pass larger pieces into and through. THAT, is a feature worth having.

David Fairfield
02-17-2007, 7:01 PM
Epilog Customer service is great!

Mike Null
02-17-2007, 9:44 PM
I don't agree with the larger bed vs more power. In nine years of engraving for a living I haven't turned down 6 jobs because of size. My first was a 12x24 and my current one is 29x17. But more power would have helped almost everyday.

That is mostly because it's faster not because I couldn't do the job with lower power. For the large stuff I've opened the front door. As I said, I turn down less than one job per year becasue of size.

Mike Hood
02-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Again... it comes down to what you use your laser for I suppose. For me, getting larger pieces THROUGH the machine (in the front... out the back) has helped on several occasions.

I could stick a standard house door through mine, and with 40W I'm fine for power. Most of what I do is vector cutting wood for prototype UAV parts and they can get long and wide.

Whatever gets the job done for ya. I couldn't work with a 12" x 24" bed myself.

Larry Bratton
02-18-2007, 9:39 AM
OK, ok, you guys got me thinking about going with the 24 x 36 table. We have made a decision about where we're going to house it and the larger size will work. We had somewhat of restriction with the original place and the larger one has two exhaust ports to deal with opposed to one on the 18 x 24. Plus, I've always gone by the boy scout motto "Be prepared".

What if the 36 x 24 was 30w instead of 40w? Considering that Epilogs can be upgraded with higher power, and that their is $2400 difference from 30w to 40w in that model, is that 10w worth that? 35w is a $1200 jump.

Mike Hood
02-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Here were the top-end considerations for me:

Bed size:
- I need to cut 36" balsa sheet pretty routinely
Pass-through doors:
-gets around the bed size issues... pool cues, oars, large panels
Power:
- biggest I could afford, while staying air-cooled
DC servos:
- Speed, accuracy, quiet, fast 80ips
Autofocus:
- it's just easier
Rotary attachment
- I must use mine more than most
Vector table
- a must-have for me
Air Assist
- I need clean char-free cuts

Those were the list of things I had on my list of "Must Haves". I budgetted towards getting all of those. I ended up with the Pinnacle ZX (Laserpro Explorer II) and have been VERY satisfied.

Figure out what you'll HAVE to be doing, and then think about the things you won't be able to do if you try to save a few $$ at this point.

Paul Torrigino
02-18-2007, 8:15 PM
Hi Larry,

I've had my Epilog 12x24 45w for just over a month now and it has worked perfectly so far. The Epilog sales guy Steve has an office just about a mile from my house and that was definitely a factor in my decision. The installation was very easy - they sent an expert over to get it all set up and running and he gave me some lessons in basic operation and cleaning.

It is very easy to operate.

I am very happy with it. I've been cutting acrylic, mainly in 1/8th inch, and woods of various thicknesses. I'm still experimenting with different techniques and materials. I just tried some rubber stamp engraving and it's pretty cool. So far, I've created some new products we're selling already and I have lots of ideas for more.

Good luck with it!
Paul

Rob Bosworth
02-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Larry, you mentioned that you are leaning towards a 36" X 24" ;aser engraving system. You also stated that the work area it will be going into is large enough to handle the larger machine. Can you handle a 500 lbs. machine? I mean physically? Many on these sites talk about how important size is, but how many of these same people can handle moving a 500 lbs. machine? I move a lot of equipment in and out of my shop, but try to limit myself to less weight than that. Moving a 32" X 20" range of motion machine, which probably weighs close to 300 lbs. can be a chore. No problem rolling, but getting on or off a truck, or down a stairway can get to be quite intimidating.

I would bet 95% of all laser engraving systems owners could get by with a much smaller machine than a 36" X 24" range of motion machine. I know we all get visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads when we think how much money would could make it we ran HUGE memorials. There are other things to consider when laying out your business plan or concept. Can you handle very large pieces? Can you make really large pieces. Really large finished plaques, metal plates, anodized parts are generally fairly expensive to buy/ make. If it takes you two hours to do a large area engraving on a piece, and your system "blinks" who eats the cost of remaking, refinishing, redoing the scrapped piece? You Do!

We have been in the laser engraving machine business since 1981. We have discussed these machines with thousands of customers. In my opinion (notice I didn't use the word humble), I would get a larger machine than 18" X 12" and I would buy something in the 35 to 45 watts range. If you find a great deal on a 30 watt machine, I would seriously look at it. But that 30 watts would have to be on a larger motion system than 18" X 12" with only a top door access to the machine.

Good luck in your decision. It is also easier for us to spend you money.

Larry Bratton
02-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Rob:
Fortunately we handle a lot of heavy stuff here in our other business. The machine info says 440lbs. We can handle that with ease. The machine will be going on a ground floor made of concrete. We are going with the 40w machine too. I believe the machine is on stand with casters, but I agree, that's fairly heavy to moving around a lot.
Yes, we can probably "get by" with a smaller size. However, since I don't know where ownership of this tool is going to lead us beyond where we are now, I want to be prepared for what may present itself as an opportunity in the future. Our other business is related to interior woodwork and millwork in new buildings. I see many things on architectural drawings that I pass up because I don't have the capability with the CNC machine or current engraving machine. I too, as you have seen, was thinking in terms of the smaller unit, but after reading comments here and other places, I think "bigger is better". Thanks for the input.

James Stokes
02-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Here is my 2 cents. I have 2 lasers, The first one I bought has a 4ft x 8ft bed and is 35 watts. The second one has a 20 x32 inch bed and is 100 watts. I use the smaller one 90% of the time. It is rare that I need the larger bed. The biggest advantage of the small laser is the power. I use full power on 90% of the things I laser. The 100 watts makes every thing so much quicker. I would definately recomend buying the most power you can.

Rob Bosworth
02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Larry, if you are looking for a machine, and now you are thinking that you do not want to be limited by size, why have the system in a box? Maybe you should be considering a Class IV system rather than the Class IIIa machines being discussed here. Kern Lasers makes a Class IV machine that will give you more potential.

Now we are really going to start spending your money.:D

Larry Bratton
02-19-2007, 9:01 PM
Whoa Rob..easy..LOL (my pocket ain't THAT deep!) We run a CNC router here too 50" x 100" and I access to a 60" x 144". Anything that came to us that big would require US to try and do it on one of those tables or just give up and say no, we can't handle it without sending out or something.