PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin' about a planer pal

Dan McGuire
02-17-2007, 10:56 AM
I have been doing some research on the planer pal knife setting jig. I see alot of pretty pictures, but didn't see any reports on how well it works or doesn't. I did a search here on setting planer knife blades and the concensus seems to be using a dial indicator. I have watched Mr. Vaughns video, which is quite helpful since he is demo'ing his procedures on a Parks planer similar to mine.

My questions are these: Does this jig work in conjunction with a dial indicator, it appear from the pics that there is no place to mount one, but can it be pre-set before use?

Whats the difference between the mini-planer pal and the full size jig, other than $30.

Al Killian
02-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I dont know about the use of them a my Lunch box planer from grizzly came with a nice blade setting jig. As far a the different sized one, the mini-planer is for 12" and 13" planers and the full size one is for larger sizes.

Tom Jones III
02-19-2007, 9:01 AM
Yes the mini/full are for different sizes of cutterhead. Whatever you get, you need to get 2 of them. Set them up carefully. When I set my knives, I use the planer pal then when everything is said and done I use my dial indicator on a magnetic base to ensure that the knives are all within .01" of each other. If they are not, I use the planer pal again on the offending knife and then recheck everything.

Greg Funk
02-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I'd recommend having a look at the multi-gauge from Oneway http://www.oneway.on.ca/workshop/multi-gauge.htm. It works very well for setting the knives on the jointer and planer. It appears the planer pal wouldn't work on a jointer.

Greg

Dennis McDonaugh
02-19-2007, 9:41 PM
I've got one and don't use it. The gauge that comes with the planer is quicker, easier to use and just as accurate in my opinion.

on edit: I see I didn't answer your real question. Its got a rare earth magnet which holds it to the drum which holds the blades. It also holds the blades in place. You tighten the blades while the planer pal holds itself and blades. The mini and larger ones are for different diameter drums, smaller for the lunchbox planer and larger for floor models. I bought mine for my jet 15" planer. My 13" delta uses pins to index the blades. You need two for 15" and under and 3 for over.

Gary Keedwell
02-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Yes the mini/full are for different sizes of cutterhead. Whatever you get, you need to get 2 of them. Set them up carefully. When I set my knives, I use the planer pal then when everything is said and done I use my dial indicator on a magnetic base to ensure that the knives are all within .01" of each other. If they are not, I use the planer pal again on the offending knife and then recheck everything.

Tom.....Just came up from my basement shop and cruisin the Creek when I seen your post. Not trying to be wise guy but do you think .010 is too much, or did you mean .001.
Just curious, because I had a hard time with mine a few months ago.
Gary K.

Tom Jones III
02-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the correction, I meant .001". I think the planer pal says that it is accurate to within .002" but my experience has been that the first time I set 3 knives, 2 of them will be within .001" of each other and one knife will be .015" different from the other 2. I'll reset the odd knife and recheck everything. I always get all 3 knives within .001" of each other on either the second or third try.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-20-2007, 1:57 PM

Tom, not to be a smart alec, but why don't you just use the dial indicator to set the blades?

Tom Jones III
02-20-2007, 2:55 PM
Tom, not to be a smart alec, but why don't you just use the dial indicator to set the blades?

Good question, initially that is exactly what I did but when I tightened the gibs the knives squirm upwards. The planer pals help to hold it down while I tighten, in fact, I hold the planer pal down with one hand while I tighten the gib screws.

I'm still not satisfied with the process, it takes far too long to get all 3 knives set correctly.

Gary Keedwell
02-20-2007, 3:26 PM
Good question, initially that is exactly what I did but when I tightened the gibs the knives squirm upwards. The planer pals help to hold it down while I tighten, in fact, I hold the planer pal down with one hand while I tighten the gib screws.

I'm still not satisfied with the process, it takes far too long to get all 3 knives set correctly.
Boy, you can say that again,Tom. When woodworking started to emulate metal working and started using indexable carbide inserts for their cutting heads, I was estatic. Before I retire, I want all my cutting heads to be exactly that!!!
Gary K.