PDA

View Full Version : Dreamin' of a new shop

Jim McGaha
02-17-2007, 10:08 AM
If you had $5000 to buy a new tablesaw, jointer and planer, what would you buy??? LOML and are moving to the Chicago area--sold my old stuff and am buying new for my new shop as soon as we get settled. I finally have some $$ to really upgrade the beginners tools I've used for years (Sears contractor saw, lunchbox planer and 6 inch table top jointer).

I've thought a lot about blowing most of it on a SawStop but that won't leave much for the jointer and planer. I visited the Grizzly location in PA and was sold on their 10" tablesaw, 8" spiral jointer and 15" planer. UNTIL, I got to use a SawStop at a class that I took at a local Woodcraft and, I saw Grizzly's new combo machine. Now some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any recommendations for local tool shops to deal with in the Western Suburbs???

Jim Becker
02-17-2007, 10:16 AM
From a value standpoint and putting together the work triangle you want to assemble, you really can't beat the Grizzly or similar grouping. But only you can determine if the additional investment in the SS is best for you.

Art Mulder
02-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Jim...

one approach - start with the one tool that you really think is important to you, and then make your compromises on the tools (and money) you have left.

For instance... If you really want that sawstop, well then, you could buy it, and have no regrets. From what I've heard, it'll run you about $4k. With the $1k left, you could shop for a second hand jointer and/or planer. Or you could buy yourself a nice planer, and then just wait to save up for a jointer that you want.

Another approach - forget the sawstop, but pick up a Jessem Slider table to go with a Tablesaw, or make sure that you make yourself a couple of really good cross-cut sleds. These will soup up the table, and also help you work safer, and be accurate.

Finally -- so-called "lunchbox" planers are still pretty good. The DeWalt DW735, which I have, is very highly rated, and does not cost that much.

hope this helps
...art

Todd Solomon
02-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Since Jim B has way more restraint than I do, I'll bite! It's always fun to spend someone else's money :D. Since this is really your money, take this with a large grain of salt...

$5000 is a nice chunk of mula for a table saw, jointer and planer. You can get really nice stuff for that amount of money.

I think I would go with the Powermatic PM2000 for the table saw. Like the SawStop, it has the riving knife that pretty much eliminates kick-back. While I've never come close to knicking a finger on a table saw, I had been bitten by kickback a couple of times on my old tabletop saw. The saw I have now has a riving knife, and I haven't ever had kickback. Plus, the PM2000 has integral casters, and I hear nice dust collection.

For the jointer and planer, you could just barely swing a Hammer 12" jointer-planer (entry-level machine made by Felder). They've been on sale a number of times for $3K, and I bet they'd sell it to you for around that. You'll get a much wider jointer, and the Hammer/Felder cutterhead. Not having to rip 12" wide boards in half and interrupt their beautiful grain, is just a huge benefit. This cutterhead is a quick-change cutterhead that automatically registers the knives to the correct height. Next to the Tersa system, this is my favorite cutterhead. It comes standard on all of Felder's machines, all the way up to their top-of-the-line 20" jointer-planer (although the 20" comes with 6 knives). And because it's 12" wide, you can skew narrower boards to reduce tearout. You'll save precious floorspace in your shop, too.

You might be smidgin over $5K with those tools delivered, but that would be a dream set-up.

Todd

lou sansone
02-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I agree with todd and jim on most points. get a good TS with riving knife ( not a sawstop ), grizz makes one that looks pretty decent. and then spend the rest on a combo or a couple of decent used seperates.

lou

Michael Gibbons
02-17-2007, 1:43 PM
Jim, Lets break this down. Probably $2500 for table saw, $1000 for 8" jointer,$500 for 13" planer, and you could spend the last thousand on a bandsaw. Now mind you that these prices are probably on the high end and if you go to a place like Grizzly you could likely get an entire new shop for that much money...Here it is the prices from Grizzly G1023s 10" tables saw $975, GO555 bandsaw $435, GO453 15 planer $850, GO490 8' jointer $795, GO441 3HP D.C. $1195. All that for $4250 and you could spend the rest on accessories or wood.

..............Mike