PDA

View Full Version : Simple router bit starter set?

Luke McFadden
02-16-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be buying a router soon. I'd like to pick up some bits, but I'm not sure which ones? So I thought that a nice starter set would be a good way to get used to the different bits. I'd like something that I can use for jointing (dados), trimming, and edging... any recommendations? Or should I just but the bits individually?

L

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2007, 11:59 PM
You will get alot of opinions on this but if it was me, I would buy individual bits as you need them or get a couple straights and a 3/8 round over. That will get you started.

Corey

Brian Clevenger
02-17-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm with Corey. I bought one of those 30pc starter sets, and have used about ten bits.

I would also add a flush-trim bit, A spiral upcut bit, and some plywood-sized bits for dados in cabinets.

By far, the most used bit in my shop is the 3/8" roundover. I don't think my next three most used bits total the use I put on the roundover. It sees just about every project I make.

glenn bradley
02-17-2007, 12:09 AM
Router bit preference is as diverse as our beloved members. A basic starter set I see mentioned by folks like Gary Rogowski in FWW and others of his caliber contains:
- 1/4" straight bit (I'd go spiral)
- 3/8" flush-cut bit
- chamfer bit (I'd get one at least 3/4" in height)
- cove bit (radius is your choice)
- round over (radius is your choice)
- a decorative profile, like an ogee

Watch for Woodcraft's $5 bit sale and that's only $30 to try some out and see what you like. I made the mistake of buying the undersized bits for plywood. I found that plywood is so inconsistent that the bits are hit and miss as to the fit. I made an Auto Adjust dado jig that solves this problem. It's here if it will help:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46406

James Carmichael
02-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Yep, this question comes up a lot and consenus is pretty much towards buying single bits. Also buying quality.

I think Glen gave you a pretty good basic set, except I might go with another 1/2" straight bit. Buy 1/2"-shank bits whenever possibl.

Gary Rogowskis "Router Joinery" video was a big help to me.

Dave Falkenstein
02-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Here's an article you might find helpful:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=26888

And one supplier of the set:

http://www.infinitytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=00-116&variation=&aitem=6&mitem=7

And another:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20060

If you look around you will find lower priced bits at places like Woodline and MLCS. Personally, I'd start with a few bits from either of these vendors. I like both, and have bits from both - good service and good prices. Woodline offers a lifetime limited warranty - hard to beat.

I am not big on buying sets, no matter what the content of the set may be. For example, FWW's Essential Bit Set includes a dovetail bit. If you don't make dovetail joints, you won't use this bit. I have received a couple of small sets as gifts, and several of those bits have never been used. People use different bits, depending on the projects we do. If you feel the need to buy a starter set, get a small one. A set of roundover bits makes sense. When you do edge shaping, roundovers are pretty commonly used. Same with a small set of straight bits - you will most likely use them - at least eventually.

Buy individual bits as you need them. If a lower priced bit wears out, replace it with a higher priced, higher quality bit. If you are like me, you won't wear out many, if any.

Anthony Anderson
02-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Luke, as I replied to your other post, I would buy a plywood bit set ~$50 Freud from Amazon. A 4pc-6pc roundover set. A top flush trim bit, and bottom flush trim bit. You can buy the decorative bits later, when the need arises. Amazon had the bits on sale, not sure if that is still going on. Support your local store, if you have one, and if you can afford to do so. They can be a very good resource for you as well. I would not buy router bits in the multi bit sets. Good Luck, Bill

Edit: Luke I just checked Amazon. Here are some Freud part numbers. All prices are after 20% discount. Not affiliated with Amazon or Freud.

90-106 4pc plywood bit set $48
42-204 top bearing flush trim/template bit $26
42-104 bottom bearing flush trim/ template bit $12
89-102 5pc Roundover set $75

All with free shipping

These bits will fit most of your needs, for quite awhile.

Mike Armstrong
02-17-2007, 12:44 AM
I've been using Woodline bits for several years. They used to be close to me, but then moved to TN. Good prices, fast service and a limited lifetime warranty. You can buy direct or, for a limited time, there's 20% off on bits and blades from Amazon - code "20OFFPTA" For example. their 9-pc. dado set (for undersize, standard, oversize stock) - would be under $27. And with free shipping, that's hard to beat.

Mike

Jeffrey Schronce
02-17-2007, 1:12 AM
I am going to to a little against the grain and recommend a basic set from MCLS. I think most folks here agree that MCLS makes a decent quality router bit. The profiles in this set are basic and very functional in my opinion. It has the majority of the bits recommended in the FWW review. They are 1/2" shank but seem to show 1/4" in the photo.
4 straight bits (overkill?)
1 3/8 round over (good size)
1 1/2 cove
1 Roman Ogee (beginner needs atleast one decorative profilt bit for fun!)
1 Chamfer bit
1 Flush Bit
1 Rabbeting Bit
1 DT Bit
1 V Goove Bit (ok two decorative bits)
1 Hinge Mortising Bit (good variety there)
1 Panel Pilot Bit (maybe not a necessary bit)
1 Round Nose Bit
IMHO that is a great line up of profiles for a beginner wanting the route everything in site with his shiny new router!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=B000FJRN8S%20&tag=wwwemcadjusti-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Mike Heidrick
02-17-2007, 1:23 AM
Why not try out the $5 1/2" shank router bits from Woodcraft. Buy them all and you will have a set of about 20. I like them. Pick and choose if there are some you do not like.

My favorite set would be the 13 piece freud set and it goes on sale from time to time on amazon. Charles is a great guy to deal with from Freud.

Brian at Holbren can most likely set you up with the Whiteside starter set as well.

pat warner
02-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Starter Set. (http://patwarner.com/starter_bits.html)

Dewayne Reding
02-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Small fairly inexpensive carbide starter set. Dozen bits or so. Some of the bits will wear out fairly rapidly. It's because you are actually using that particular bit so you should probaby replace it with a better quality bit when it dies. Some of the woodworking retailers have "generic' lines of bits that really aren't half bad.