PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Problem

Scott Sallyards
02-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I have a Lagunia 14" band saw that I purchased a few months ago. I was cutting with a 1/4" blade that I have used for the last couple days (new blade) and the blade snapped. I did not damage anything but if anyone knows why this happens I would like to know. Is the tension to tight? Like I said I have used this blade at the current setting for a few days now. Any idea's?:D

Scott Sallyards

Richard Butler
02-16-2007, 10:59 PM
What setting did you have it at?

Jason Beam
02-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Where did it snap? Just randomly in the band, or AT the weld? The weld is the weakest point of any bandsaw blade. If it's a Timberwolf blade, the weld should be guaranteed (contact pswood.com or suffolkmachine.com). If your tension was too high it can break the band, too. A recent magazine article dispelled all the hype around factory tension guages on most bandsaws. They can almost always be set to the right size blade setting. I'd expect a laguna saw to be pretty reliable in it's tension guage.

Mike Goetzke
02-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Did you de-tension it between uses?

Tony Ward
02-17-2007, 4:52 AM
The Woodworker's Journal, February 2007 issue contains an article by Mark Duginske and Aaron Gesicki which examines the question of blade tension - How to improve my band saw's performance? They also examine three mechanical tension devices and conclude ~ "the authors do not recommend any of the mechanical tension devices they tested; however, Carter Products electronic gauge worked well"

The article is a good read and may well be a worthwhile addition to your library.

(I have no connection with the authors or the magazine or Carter Products).