PDA

View Full Version : Talk about falling behind - WOW

Ken Salisbury
02-16-2007, 7:32 PM
I cranked up my computer this afternoon after a five day absence. I have been on jury duty (Grand Jury) all week 8:30 to 4:30. I had 147 e-mails and 20 pages of threads with new posts. Needless to say I have been at the computer for several hours.

The Grand Jury was so intense that by the time I got home all I wanted to do was eat some supper and hit the sack. We reviewed over 350 felony cases in 5 days. If you want a real awakening of what is going on in your community, sit on the grand jury.

I have to return on March 12th for another full week.

Jason Roehl
02-16-2007, 8:14 PM
If I had the free time, I would love to do that someday.

I bet you were bummed you weren't allowed to just shoot some of them on site! :D

Heck, I check in here twice a day and always have 4-5 pages of threads with new posts.

Jim O'Dell
02-16-2007, 8:26 PM
Our justice system is remarkable and maddening at the same time. I've never been on a Grand Jury, but about 4 years ago I sat on a capitol murder trial. I was sequestered (sp?) for 9 days of the 12 or 13 day trial. It was a great experience that I would never trade. I was lucky that it was a slam dunk affair, we reached the verdict on the first vote...took about 15 minutes.
Thanks for serving in this capacity Ken! Without this type of service by our citizens there is no telling what kind of scumbags would be out amongst us. It's bad enough like it is! Jim.

Nancy Laird
02-16-2007, 9:06 PM
Thanks, Ken, for a little bit of insight into Grand Jury. I got my notice to appear on March 8, the first time I've ever been called for any type of jury duty. Somehow I don't think they are going to take me, since I work in the law profession, but I've seen stranger things happen.

Nancy

Dave Anderson NH
02-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for your service to your community Ken. I'm sure you did it well.

Nancy- I doubt you'll be taken being in the legal profession. My Dad has been called many times for both jury and grand jury duty. Each time they interivew him and ask the question about his education. When answers that he has an LLB, the next words are," You're excused." He never took the bar or practiced, but it doesn't matter.

Art Mulder
02-16-2007, 10:50 PM
I've wondered, at times, what is different between the Canadian and the American justice systems... For one thing, you folks seem to use juries a whole lot more than we do up here in Canada. I'm 42 and have only once in my life received a Jury summons.

Earl Reid
02-17-2007, 12:37 AM
I have served on juries many times, pettit and federal. I think everyone should serve when called.
Earl

Jim Becker
02-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Art, I've also only ever been called once...about two years ago. One day...I wasn't picked for the trial ( which sounded like a no-brainer drug case ) and went home early. But the process was interesting and I actually look forward to the next time.

Stuart Johnson
02-17-2007, 1:12 PM
I have only been called twice. The first time I was so po'ed I didn't know if I would ever answer again. The judge spent over a half hour telling us about what a wonderful job he was doing and how his opponet in the upcoming election would be terrible.

The second time was almost 20 years later. I was selected and then dismissed because of the type of trial. I don't know how jury selection takes place but I'm amazed I have only been called the two times. This is after being eligable in five different states.

Mitchell Andrus
02-17-2007, 4:56 PM
Never been called.

John Shuk
02-17-2007, 8:25 PM
I sat on a medical malpractice jury and I found it to be very interesting.

Ken Salisbury
02-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't know how jury selection takes place but I'm amazed I have only been called the two times. This is after being eligible in five different states.

Different states use different different selection processes. They use to use drivers' licence registration here in Alabama, but then changed it to voter registration records about 10 years ago. I have been back in Alabama for 14 years and this is my second tour of duty. Served on juries in Texas and Kentucky in the past.

Everyone should do their civic duty by serving when called on to do so. Using lame excuses to get relieved of duty is dereliction of a citizen's responsibility.

Wayne Gauthier
02-20-2007, 9:00 AM
I have been called once in my 24 years here in Alabama, then the vic took the deal , so no trial.

Wayne

Ted Calver
02-20-2007, 9:09 AM
Once for me...no trial. I'm late to this thread....from the title I thought it Ken wanted to talk about the effect of gravity on his anatomy:):)

Chip Olson
02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
I've been called 3 or 4 times, but never put on a jury. Here in MA you're called for one trial or one day, so they rotate more people through and inconvenience them less.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2007, 11:03 AM
The jury selection process never seems to amaze me. They say here they do it from voter registration....and yet my neighbor has lived here for 51 years and votes every election.....He's been called once. His wife, OTOH, gets called every other year. My wife and I have been here for 26 years and we get called for jury duty every other year.:confused:

Dan Gill
02-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I've only been called up three times, and only seated once. That was a capital murder trial, a very sad affair. We came back with a guilty verdict, and the judge said I'd probably never serve on another criminal trial, since the defense wouldn't want someone who delivered a guilty verdict in a capital trial. Okay by me.

My wife, who is a school teacher, gets called up and seated all the time. Go figure.