PDA

View Full Version : Help in making my next purchase!

Luke McFadden
02-16-2007, 5:45 PM
So, my wife is allowing me to spend some money on a new tool!

But I'm having a hard time deciding what to do, I have around $200. But I'd like to spend less if possible.

I feel like a router would be the best purchase. I've needed one several times in the past few weeks, and when my neighbor brings his over, it does a great job and I just drool.

But I'd also like a Kreg R3. So I'm tempted to save a little money on my router purchase, and get the R3 too.

I still don't have a table saw, but for most of my projects, I think my circular saw will work good enough. I have a neighbor with a table saw, band saw, planer, and jointer if I really need it.

So here is what I'm looking at:

Router kit - Either a Bosche 1617EVSPKE (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPKE-Horsepower-Variable-Speed-Assessories/dp/B000BGKIJ6/sr=1-1/qid=1171664873/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0460227-3342557?ie=UTF8&s=hi) $205 (w/ accessories) or a Hitachi (http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KM12VC-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B0002ZZWX8/sr=1-14/qid=1171664873/ref=sr_1_14/102-0460227-3342557?ie=UTF8&s=hi)
KM12VC (http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KM12VC-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B0002ZZWX8/sr=1-14/qid=1171664873/ref=sr_1_14/102-0460227-3342557?ie=UTF8&s=hi) $140 (w/o accessories).

Kreg R3 (http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-R3-Pocket-Hole-System/dp/B000J43A7W/sr=8-1/qid=1171665420/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0460227-3342557?ie=UTF8&s=hi)$35

Hum. Well I started this thread with the intention of asking if I should get a: router, table saw, or a band saw.

So I'll still ask that question. And
(1) Router recommendations for kits, meaning plunge and fixed base?
(2) router, table saw, or band saw if you had $200 to spend.

Luke

Jim Becker
02-16-2007, 5:57 PM
A multi-base mid-range router kit will be a good investment. Mine is the Dewalt DW618K and I like it a lot, but any of the major brands are relatively good.

Don't even think about a table saw for $200 outside of a used belt-drive contractor's style saw that is in decent condition. IMHO...been there, made that mistake many years ago!

James Carmichael
02-16-2007, 6:08 PM
A multi-base mid-range router kit will be a good investment. Mine is the Dewalt DW618K and I like it a lot, but any of the major brands are relatively good.

Don't even think about a table saw for $200 outside of a used belt-drive contractor's style saw that is in decent condition. IMHO...been there, made that mistake many years ago!

Ditto that, especially the table saw part. Been there, done that, too.

A 2hp multi-base router kit. Take your pick, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Porter Cable.

Did anyone mention not to try and buy a table saw for $200? You can, as Jim mentioned, find an old belt-drive contractors saw for that (especially an Emerson-built Craftsman), but don't try it until you know what look for, or have someone experienced help you look.

You could also get an EZ Smart system for your circular saw.

Matt Lentzner
02-16-2007, 6:35 PM
I have the same router that Jim has and it is sweet. I got the three base version for about $250 which is over your budget. The other problem is that the router is pretty useless without any bits! There was a couple weeks there where all I could do was fondle it. ;) A really good set is the Freud 13 pc. but that's another $200 or so right there. Don't cheap out on the bits. You can still do good work with a cheapo router and quality bits, but the opposite doesn't work out well at all.

I'd say to buy the Kreg so you have something to play with and save the rest. Buying junky tools wastes money in the long run. It's better to save your money and get something nice the first time.

Bert Johansen
02-16-2007, 8:57 PM
I agree with all the others--get the router kit. Then make a router table. I have the Bosch and PC, and both are OK for hobbist work. After five years I've replaced the bearings on both machines, however.

Pete Brown
02-16-2007, 9:20 PM
I agree with Matt.

Good router bits can run you a large chunk of change. If you don't have budget for the router and the bits, hold off and save.

I also agree not to waste your money on the $200 table saw. I did that with a craftsman and not only quickly outgrew it, but quickly got very very annoyed with it. It really killed my enjoyment of woodworking for a while.

Buy good tools, and buy them once. It's tempting to go cheap, but that usually doesn't work out over time. It can be frustrating (and even a hobby killer) to use cheap tools

Pete

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2007, 9:27 PM
With $200. as a budget, I would rule out the table saw. You need to allow more for that but I would definitely put that on my list next. I would also go wth a router plunge/fixed base kit. The Bosch is a good one. I have the Dewalt DW618 2 base kit. It came down to the Bosch and the Dewalt for me and i chose the Dewalt because of the feel. Great little sqwatty feel that I loved. That made me choose it over the Bosch but they are both good routers and you would be happy with either I am sure. The Hitachi is a decent kit as well I am told. You can get a Kreg anytime and I think you will use the router more often.

corey

Doug Shepard
02-16-2007, 9:37 PM
I'm going to go a bit contrary to the other advice only because it doesn't seem that a router table is currently in your plans or budget. I think the fixed base is likely to sit for a long time before you end up using it. So I think I'd save some money and just get a plunge router rather than a multi-base kit. Regardless of which router you go with, it's going to be fairly useless without budgeting for a few router bits - and a decent edge guide is worth having too.

Brian Clevenger
02-16-2007, 11:34 PM
I have the Bosch 1617evs kit, the Porter Cable 9690 kit, and the Hitachi M12SC kit. They are all fine, but the Bosch is my favorite.

However, here is a little kit that a friend of mine just bought, and I like it a whole lot:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Portable+Power+Tools&pid=00917543000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Routers+%26+Laminate+Trimmers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

All kidding aside, this a a very nice kit. The plunge base is smoother than any of the kits I own, and the LED light is actually quite handy. I don't know who manufactures this kit for sears, but it is well worth looking into.

You could afford this kit and the Kreg Rocket and still have some coin for a couple of decent bits.

I'll put it like this.... I plan to own at least one of these kits before the end of the month.

Corey Hallagan
02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Brian is right, this router is getting pretty good reviews on another forum and owners are liking it.

Corey

Anthony Anderson
02-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Luke, I also have the DeWalt 618 series with the three bases. This is a very smooth router. You will not be dissappointed with it. All of the Porter Cable type guide bushings will fit. The plunge base is nice and the dust collection works well. Shop around online and you can probably find it for around $225. I bought mine at Woodcraft for $199 on sale about a year or so ago. It was actually a 2 base kit with a mail in rebate for the D handle base. Buy the DeWalt set, and the Kreg $35 setup, and you will can build quite a few projects. You can add a couple of guide clamps ~$75 (for two)for your circular saw and router, along with a plywood router bit set (~$50 Freud), and you would be surprised at what that will allow you to build. Good Luck, Bill

Luke McFadden
02-17-2007, 4:18 AM
Brian is right, this router is getting pretty good reviews on another forum and owners are liking it.

Corey

What is the other forum?

I'm interested in this! I was beginning to worry about purchasing the higher end models because of the money. $100 is about right, and then I can get some bits too.

I appreciate all the feedback!

L

Luke McFadden
02-17-2007, 4:26 AM
In my recent Craftsman catalog, it doesn't show this model. It shows a 9.5 amp 1/4" collet at the same price. I'm going to check my local store tomorrow and see if they have this model.

lou sansone
02-17-2007, 4:50 AM
go for the bosch. It is a great router and very well balanced

lou

Keith Webster
02-17-2007, 8:16 AM
I have the Bosch router you are looking at and love it. It is easy to set up and comes with all kinds of goodys. You will be able to use this for all kinds of projects. Trust me.....you will enjoy this product. Also...if you are near a Lowes go there to check out that Bosch router. I think they have it for the same price and if you do not like it you can return it.

Darroll Walsh
02-17-2007, 8:22 AM
Just wanted to throw out that if you need a tablesaw and you are on a limited budget, look for a gently used Ryobi BT3100. I have one now and found that it was a great starter tablesaw. I didn't check where you live but mine will be for sale soon. I've ordered a Steel City saw as a replacement.

- D

Corey Hallagan
02-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Luke the router is a online exclusive only I believe. It looks like it might be made by Porter Cable.

Corey

Luke McFadden
02-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Luke the router is a online exclusive only I believe. It looks like it might be made by Porter Cable.

Corey

Has anyone made mention of the quality of the edge guide? Not that this is a big decision changer, but I hope it is decent. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order this today!

L