PDA

View Full Version : Chapman Oak

Dick Durbin
02-16-2007, 5:37 PM
I just got home and found that a neighbor has cut down a Chapman Oak, a type of white oak. The trunk is about 12" in diameter. I know that some of you have expressed a distaste for turning oak. Should I go to the trouble of getting some of it?

Ron Chamberlin
02-16-2007, 6:00 PM
I have no special problems with oak, and have turned a lot of it, as well as making some Arts and Crafts furniture. I have mostly worked with the red oaks, including pin oak. I would go for it.
Also, free wood is good wood!;)

John Hart
02-16-2007, 6:11 PM
Last year while huntin' for wood. I constantly was running across pieces of oak with the most spectacular figure. It seemed like folks were kinda down on oak, so I didn't do anything with it. After seeing several pieces done here lately, I regret not pursuing those pieces more. My vote is cut it and turn it. :)

Jim Becker
02-16-2007, 6:13 PM
There is nothing wrong with turning oak...or any other available species for that matter. Oak's a bit harder than some other things you may have been turning. It can also move a lot. No big deal...that's what art is all about!

Dick Durbin
02-16-2007, 8:25 PM
Well, I chopped off a piece, chucked it up and roughed out a small bowl. It turned just fine while wet and is going to be beautiful. It doesn't seem to be as open-grained as the red oak I am used to doing flat work with.