PDA

View Full Version : Jet DC-1200CK dust collector users?

Sparky Paessler
12-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Do any of you have the new Jet DC1200ck dust collector with the filter canister? What do you think of it? My workshop is in the basement and I really don't have the overhead to put in a Cyclone and thought that this unit might be a good alterative for now. I could later turn it into a cyclone if I build a shop building. Right now I'm using an old 1hp 650cfm unit with upgraded bags but the motor bearings are starting to go in it and it never really worked as well as I would have liked it to. Looked at Bill Pentz's site and he seemed to like this unit. Opinions?

Sparky Paessler

Dave Richards
12-04-2003, 11:34 AM
I've got one and like it. I don't have anything to compare to though. I like having the plastic bag on the bottom rather than a cloth one and there seems to be no dust blowing though the filter. I've seen someplace where a fellow mounted his on a shelf in the corner so the top of the filter was nera the ceiling. He has to get up on a step stool to turn the handle to clean the filter but the unit is out of the way and he can use the space beneath for storage.

John Miliunas
12-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Sparky, I don't have one myself, but I have to believe it's better than what you currently have. But, from the FWIW Dept., this would be your second upgrade. If there's any way you can swing it, I highly recommend going to a cyclone this time around instead of redoing again a third time. That's what I ended up doing this time around and am, thus far, happier than a pig in you-know-what! Granted, my situation lends itself easier to such a setup, but if you take a look at the dimensions necessary for something like the Woodsucker, you may find that you DO have the room to clear the system. Then, if so, you need to determine if you have the room for the larger diameter ducts and, if it's installed in the same area as your shop, you'll probably want to sound insulate the unit. 'Course, you may want to do that with a regular DC, as well. I don't think any of them are overly quiet! Just MHO and we all know what they're worth... :cool:

Keith Starosta
12-04-2003, 12:08 PM
I've got one and like it. I don't have anything to compare to though. I like having the plastic bag on the bottom rather than a cloth one and there seems to be no dust blowing though the filter. I've seen someplace where a fellow mounted his on a shelf in the corner so the top of the filter was nera the ceiling. He has to get up on a step stool to turn the handle to clean the filter but the unit is out of the way and he can use the space beneath for storage.

http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/woodworking/workshop/dust_collection/

Dave,
I can't remember his real name, but I know he goes by Vanguard on another site. Hope you don't mind me linking to your site. :D I like the way he has this set up, and plan to mount mine much the same way he did in my two-car garage/workshop.

Keith

Dave Richards
12-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Keith, that's it! Thanks.

Sparky Paessler
12-04-2003, 2:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have thought long and hard about a cyclone and read Bill's site about them. I just don't have the time to build a system or money to buy one at this point or the headroom (only 6 1/2'). I think that this Jet system would be a good compromize for now (next 10 to 15 years.) I do plan to run 6" duct to it for the airflow. My old system I've been using for 13 years now and I plan to replace the bearings in the motor and use it for a thru the floor vent on my stove. So I have gotten my moneys worth out of it. Maybe when I build a seperate shop building after I retire (15 years from now) I will build a cyclone system for it.

Sparky

Clarke Echols
12-06-2003, 2:14 AM
If I read correctly, you have a 6-1/2 foot ceiling height? That's only 78". Pretty
low ceiling. However, I may have a solution.

I have had some requests for a side-mount belt drive for the Pentz-design
cyclone kit I'm making. With the welded-steel blower housing which is 6" high
and the normal 50-52" overall length on the cyclone itself, that's 58". By
using a belt drive that goes up between the ceiling joists, you can then get
the blower housing up close to the ceiling without having to accommodate
the motor. It's sitting comfortably with all but the shaft below ceiling level.
I am currently working on a design for that belt drive. The motor could be
located on any of three sides at 90-degree intervals (all sides except the
outlet side). It bolts to the standard C-face motor-mounting plate and will
accept a C-face motor hanging off of the belt-tensioning motor-mounting
plate. I am currently working with a manufacturers' representative on getting
sources lined up for the components. I would expect this option to appear
sometime in January, based on current estimates.

For a dust bin, you can get rid of the hose connection by building an air-tight
box with a 6" hole to fit around the dust chute. A little foam gasketing around
the hole to press against the lower connection between cone and dust chute,
and you have an air-tight joint. Put a removable air-tight door on the box,
then slip a container inside, such as a polyethylene storage bin. When the bin
is full, open the door, dump the bin, then put it back and close the door.

Doing the math, a 78" ceiling height minus about 56" for the cyclone and
blower housing, and you have room for a 20"-high box with 2" blocks
underneath. Pull the blocks out and the box falls away from the cyclone
for servicing or removal, and you don't need any tubing, HVAC starter
flanges, or much of anything else. I built a box using this method to put
under my cyclone, but haven't tried it yet [too busy building kits :-( ].
It's made from 5/8" plywood with 2x2's in the corners. Use caulking/sealant
between 2x2's and the plywood to seal it, and put a foam gasket around the
door to make it air tight. That's how they do the great big cyclones in
cement-powder manufacturing plants. The bin is a dumpster that is pulled
out, loaded on a bit trash hauler truck and taken elsewhere. An empty
dumpster is then slid into the container under the big cyclone.

Clarke

Sparky Paessler
12-06-2003, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the information.I am still undecided as to which route I'm going to go. I did decide that I could cut a hole in the concrete floor and dig down a few feet for some more clearance where the collector will be. 6 1/2 feet is low but this house was built in the 20's and the builder I guess didn't want to dig very deep. Choices choices well I guess there is no rush. I still need to build the pair of fireplace surrounds that are going to finance the dust collector project.