PDA

View Full Version : Letter Templates for router

Jeff Stempien
02-16-2007, 5:15 PM
Hello, I am new to this site, and I love it. Maybe some one can help. I'm trying to make a sign for my club in 4 or 5 inch letters with my router. Does anybuddy know where I can get templates or a template made and what the cost would be/? Any help would be appreciated, thanks Jeff

Mike Null
02-16-2007, 5:29 PM
I believe Sears sells a set.

Jeff Stempien
02-16-2007, 5:33 PM
Yes But They Are Only 3 Inch Size

Keith Outten
02-16-2007, 5:39 PM
I think Jeff is interested in someone with a laser engraver making a custom template for him.

Jeff, it might help if you can provide the sign details and text.

Jeff Stempien
02-16-2007, 7:59 PM
Looking for the sign to read

Cos Cob Archers in 5" letters on line
and then I need the number 205
and then possibly PRIVATE in 3" letters\
maybe this will help Jeff

Paul Torrigino
02-16-2007, 8:40 PM
If you're just making the one sign, wouldn't it be easier to have someone just laser cut the lettering instead of having templates laser cut - and then routing them?:)

Kurt Strandberg
02-16-2007, 9:10 PM
If you're just making the one sign, wouldn't it be easier to have someone just laser cut the lettering instead of having templates laser cut - and then routing them?:)

Or find someone in his area with a Carvewright or Compucarve

Todd Schwartz
02-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Jeff - just finished a big project exactly for this purpose - Pheasants Forever wanted a template to make 17 signs for their various properties. Used 1/4" masonite and had a total of 12 feet of signage (two 6' pieces). Offered both the stencil font which kept all of the islands in place as well as Arial bold where the islands (the insides of the o, p, etc) fall out. I put registration marks on these islands as well as couple of 1/16" holes so they could be tacked back on the sign to be used as a template to route around.

Visited with the person who was doing the actual routing - was working great, in fact if he was closer he would have given me a hug :), the masonite was holding up well and the method for working with the islands were very good. Gave him two sets, just in case, but he has not had any problems.

The alternative they were considering was to cut the template by hand using a scroll saw - then route.

Material cost was not bad, but layout and laser time was considerable, especially since we both rastered and vestored each piece.

If interested, PM me. No pictures, UPS'ed the final sets off this week.

Todd