PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Tool Chest

Jim Harsha
12-04-2003, 1:01 AM
After completing my new workbench I realized I had lost quite a bit of storage space under the bench so I decided to build a rolling tool chest based on a design I saw in Woodsmith. It was going to be just your plain ordinary tool chest with BB ply drawer fronts. Well, I noticed I had a few left over pieces of hardwoods from other projects... this is the result. I laugh every time I look at it but it was fun

Todd Burch
12-04-2003, 1:10 AM
Nuttin' wrong with that! One thing is for sure - you won't ever lose your "sample finishes" boards like I do! Open them drawers and let's see pictures of your STUFF! Todd.

Bob Marino
12-04-2003, 1:21 AM
After completing my new workbench I realized I had lost quite a bit of storage space under the bench so I decided to build a rolling tool chest based on a design I saw in Woodsmith. It was going to be just your plain ordinary tool chest with BB ply drawer fronts. Well, I noticed I had a few left over pieces of hardwoods from other projects... this is the result. I laugh every time I look at it but it was fun

Hey Jim,

I like it. Good use of some nice looking wood.

Bob

Tom Hintz
12-04-2003, 3:44 AM
Jim,
You're right, it is ridiculous.
It's also ridiculous that I don't have something that cool in my shop!
Nice job. Nothing says you can't have cool stuff in the shop also.

Kevin Murdock
12-04-2003, 6:54 AM
Anyone wanna play name that wood?

I'm not sure what the bottom two are.

/Kevin

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-04-2003, 7:04 AM
Maple/birch
Mesquite
Oak/ash
Walnut
Cherry?

Jim Becker
12-04-2003, 8:51 AM
Ah, but this is an excellent "display" for helping your "customers" choose a species for their "orders"... :D

Seriously, what's not to like about celebrating the beauty of wood? What you have is far preferable to ordinary plywood! Nice job.

Jim Harsha
12-04-2003, 8:28 PM
Thanks for all your great comments. All the drawers fronts were finished with 2 coats of Watco Natural and paste wax. From the top down they are:
Maple (lots of little birdseyes)
Jatoba
Red Oak
Walnut
Birch (from a discarded piece found at HD!)

Thanks again for all your kind words.

Anthony Yakonick
12-04-2003, 11:41 PM
The door pulls on my shop cabs are pink ivory, ebony, zebrawood, purpleheart and padauk so I think it's great. We should get together :D