PDA

View Full Version : St Louis Wood show

David Henderson
02-16-2007, 1:18 PM
Was I the only person disappointed by the St. Louis Woodworkers show this year.
Having to park on the streets far away from the entrance, not being able to get remotely close to exhibits or even getting down some isles because of the crowds and so many duplicate tools being displayed by different vendors was just too overwhelming for me, not to mention some prime display space being taken by someone selling siding.
Also, it seems to me they should have a coat check since it's the middle of winter, instead of one hanger in the lobby where anyone could accidently get the wrong coat while leaving and leave you coatless. (It happens all the time) I had to try to
maneuver around carrying my down filled jacket in one hand.

Mike Heidrick
02-16-2007, 1:39 PM
So I went on Friday, Parked right behind the Delta semi trucks, had on a long sleeved shirt instead of big coat, and had a great time - planned ahead. The show was smaller than those in the pats but at one time I was walking down the Jointech isle, listening to all the wood working carni's ,thinking it was awesome to have this many ww demo shows all in one place. I liked it. Not that great a set of deals there.

Anyone go Sunday. Were the deals good then?

Highlight of the show was the little 24ysld girl in the PC booth. Told my wife that was the smartest thing to do in that venue.

Things I liked:
Steel City Demo, General tool display, Incra guys, Lee Valley tools.

Things that were missing:
Sawsop, new Delta drill presses, new Powermatic drill press, new Omnijig.

Almost bought a Jessem Mast-R-Slide for $498 - Walked. Should have bought the CMT Sommerfield 6 piece set for $160 - walked. Should have bought the Incra miter exress/3000SE setup for $289 - walked. Wanted to buy the Steel City Drill press for $469 - walked (well almost - bought it from a local dealer last night!).

Joe Mioux
02-16-2007, 1:46 PM
I was too busy working all weekend... Last year I ran through the show. I wish they would have the hours extended into the evenings. A Friday evening show time until 9 or 10 would be great.

joe

Ron Hedrick
02-16-2007, 2:10 PM
I thought the show was pretty good. TWC was missing, out of business. They took a lot of space in the past. I really didn't think that the deals were all that great. Although I did manage to drop some bucks. Got there at about 10:15 AM on Saturday and parked behind the trucks. Wish I had left my jacket in the car. In the past seemed that there were more vendors selling jig fixtures that sort of thing. Everyone selling blades of all kinds this year. Would have liked to see more diversity, but, will go again next year.

Tim Malyszko
02-16-2007, 2:41 PM
I was there on Sunday around 12:15 PM and parked right in front just as someone was leaving.

I enjoyed myself, but had my wife with me and felt guilty dragging her along so I didn't get to see as many of the product demos as I had hoped.

As far as specials went, I didn't really see anything that jumped out at me. Everything that was a "special" was the same price I could buy the same item from on-line sources like amazon.com or sale prices at Woodcraft or Rockler.

I'm glad I went and would have liked to stay longer. I wasn't expecting to go, buy and save $$$$, so that's probably why I enjoyed myself. I looked at it more like the car show, where I was able to go to 1 place and see just about every option available on the market today.

Jim Dunn
02-16-2007, 5:44 PM
Well let's see. Was I disappointed? A little. But I still spent $300.00:eek: New chisels from Lee Valley that I'm waiting on. And various assundry items too numerous to mention:rolleyes:

I wasn't the only one there either.

Mark Stutz,Tom Sontag,Gary Herrmann and a few nice fellows from another forum to numerous to mention.

Jim Becker
02-16-2007, 6:07 PM
I wasn't the only one there either.

Mark Stutz,Tom Sontag,Gary Herrmann and a few nice fellows from another forum to numerous to mention.

So...where are the obligatory pictures to prove it?? LOL!

Guy Germaine
02-16-2007, 6:50 PM
I was there too, but none of us thought to bring a camera. :rolleyes:
It was my truck they used as a workbench to try out Tom Sontag's plane.
My only disappointment was that it wasn't as big as it has been. Not nearly as many vendors. I don't go looking for big ticket items. I usually wind up getting some router bits, T-Track and knobs, stuff like that. I did notice when I got back to my truck, that a Miter Express had followed me out the door.;)

Jim Dunn
02-16-2007, 7:43 PM
You'll have to call the police on me and all the others as I don't think there was a camera among all the things we took.

Steve Clardy
02-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Sorry I couldn't attend it this year. Missed all of ya.
Went to the KC show the week before.
Very disappointed. Half of the normal vendors. No super deals.

Chris McDowell
02-16-2007, 11:21 PM
I've gone to the St.Louis show for the past seven years and I will honestly say I'll never go back. Too small of a vendor turn out and not very many deals to be had. I'm planning on going to IWF in Atlanta next year.

Leigh Costello
02-17-2007, 1:08 AM
Hubby and I went on Sunday, 11:00 to 3:30. Watched a couple of demos, looked at a bunch of "repeats" at various booths and decided to join the St. Louis Wood Turners. Highlight of the day, though, was an early supper/late lunch at Bandanas before heading home. We did manage to replace our high speed hand tool with one from Powercrafter. All in all, will probably go back next year. I think we should all post a note to the Wood Working Shows and lobby for more variety. Just an idea....

Gary Herrmann
02-17-2007, 1:34 AM
I was a little disappointed by the variety and offerings of the vendors, but was glad I got to meet up with some Creekers. I wasn't looking for anything, picked up a few small odds and ends, and then I went by the LV booth again.

Played with the scraper plane, the router plane and a few others. A new plane is heading my way. If LV shows up each year and they have new stuff, it might be worth it. One of the guys there said they're coming out with a 36" steel straightedge in a couple months...

Meeting up with Creekers will always be a draw. Dang, Jim. I forgot to buy you a cup of coffee. I guess you bought those Hirsch chisels?

Jim Dunn
02-17-2007, 9:30 AM
Yeah Gary I did! Free shipping wasn't a big deal as I just wanted to see and handle em before I bought. I'm still waiting on them though. (You owe me a coffee:))

Keith Cope
02-17-2007, 9:40 AM
I went Sunday around noon, no problem parking--got a spot right in front--but once I got in, I was a bit disappointed. It was smaller than in years past, and there were exhibitors listed online that were not there. I still enjoyed it, all things considered, and will likely go again next year. I think it's still a great opportunity to see things in person you've read about before you commit to the purchase.

(Didn't need a camera, this time, though...no purchases to report). :(

Tom Sontag
02-18-2007, 2:50 AM
... I think we should all post a note to the Wood Working Shows and lobby for more variety. Just an idea....

I think that there is nobody who would more want a larger group of exhibitor$ than the WW $how people themselves. As a one-time exhibitor myself, I think the downward spiral in show size is a combination of many factors, not least of which is the power of the internet. It allows me much cheaper local advertising and as a tool buyer, makes it darn easy to shop for the best price (if that is my goal), which might explain why the show 'deals' faded away.

Steve LaFara
02-25-2007, 9:44 PM
For me, the highlight was the breakfast at Cracker Barrel with the other 6-7 forum guys on Saturday. And, watching 5 grown men test out an infill smoother on a pick up truck tail gate in the Cracker Barrel parking lot!:D

The show itself was disapointing I thought. As usual, nothing new and way too crowded.

Guy Germaine
02-26-2007, 10:13 AM
I'll go back again next year. If for no other reason than to have breakfast with a bunch of good guys again. ;)

I enjoyed that.