PDA

View Full Version : Planer Questions

Steve Milito
02-16-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm looking into buying a planer. I've noticed that there is a large difference in price between machines of the same size. For example, Griz has a 20" for $1250 as well as one for $7000.
I guess you pay more for size, HP, Cutter type, seperate power drive rollers, easy Roller adjustments, segmented chip breakers, and continuous variable speed.
What features are most important?
How important are spiral cutter heads?
Do power rollers add to the quality of cut, or does it just take load off of the cutter motor?
Do you adjust the rollers a lot, and is it worth it to pay more to change them with a lever?
What is a segmented chip breaker? Do you need one?
Are two speeds good enough, and does having variable allow for a better cut?

Todd Solomon
02-16-2007, 2:33 PM
I'm looking into buying a planer. I've noticed that there is a large difference in price between machines of the same size. For example, Griz has a 20" for $1250 as well as one for $7000.
I guess you pay more for size, HP, Cutter type, seperate power drive rollers, easy Roller adjustments, segmented chip breakers, and continuous variable speed.
What features are most important?
How important are spiral cutter heads?
Do power rollers add to the quality of cut, or does it just take load off of the cutter motor?
Do you adjust the rollers a lot, and is it worth it to pay more to change them with a lever?
What is a segmented chip breaker? Do you need one?
Are two speeds good enough, and does having variable allow for a better cut?

Hi Steve,

I have one of those large industrial machines, an Oliver 22". It has segmented infeed rollers and chip breakers, which allow you to feed several boards simultaneously, of different thicknesses. It also has bed rollers. To be honest, it's overkill for a hobbyist, and I don't think you need these features. This planer is made to run 24 hours, 7 days, for decades. I was debating between this and a 20" 4-post at the time, and got an incredible deal on it. But this big machine has snipe occasionally.

If you're looking for planers of this size, I would go with a smaller 4-post planer, such as the Grizzly 20" for $1250. Or step up to a Hammer or Mini Max 12" jointer-planer. Then, you get a wide jointer as well. Or step down to a 12 to 13" lunchbox planer. All good solutions, just depends on your budget.

Todd

Steve Milito
02-16-2007, 3:47 PM
Hi Steve,

I have one of those large industrial machines, an Oliver 22". It has segmented infeed rollers and chip breakers, which allow you to feed several boards simultaneously, of different thicknesses. It also has bed rollers. To be honest, it's overkill for a hobbyist, and I don't think you need these features. This planer is made to run 24 hours, 7 days, for decades. I was debating between this and a 20" 4-post at the time, and got an incredible deal on it. But this big machine has snipe occasionally.

If you're looking for planers of this size, I would go with a smaller 4-post planer, such as the Grizzly 20" for $1250. Or step up to a Hammer or Mini Max 12" jointer-planer. Then, you get a wide jointer as well. Or step down to a 12 to 13" lunchbox planer. All good solutions, just depends on your budget.

Todd
The planer/jointer is an interesting idea. I was moslty considering the PM 209 vs Grz 454 vs Grz 1033x.