PDA

View Full Version : Drum chuck help

Pete Jordan
02-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I ca'd my drum Oneway drum chucks to the adapters. This would not be a problem except I want to now use them on a different lathe.

What is the best way to free them.

I have considered a torch or putting them in the oven or grill.

thanx

Gordon Seto
02-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Pete,

Just remove the two screws that hold the adptor to the drum. Use the same two screws on the 2 other threaded holes, they would jack the adpator separate from the drum.

Gordon

Pete Jordan
02-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Pete,

Just remove the two screws that hold the adptor to the drum. Use the same two screws on the 2 other threaded holes, they would jack the adpator separate from the drum.

Gordon

They are full of CA so should I melt that away?

Gordon Seto
02-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Pete,

I would try acetone first.

The drum is aluminum.

Gordon

Brett Baldwin
02-16-2007, 12:53 PM
They do make a CA glue dissolver. I'd try that before burning anything. I can tell you from firsthand experience that burning CA is not a healthy thing to do. If you end up doing that be sure to be outside and upwind of the smoke/fumes.

Ron Ainge
02-16-2007, 1:09 PM
Put your chuck in a bath of acetone and let it set there for a while. I should come apart very easily after that. I use a lot of CA and keep the bath handy because I need it often.

Pete Jordan
02-16-2007, 1:38 PM
Put your chuck in a bath of acetone and let it set there for a while. I should come apart very easily after that. I use a lot of CA and keep the bath handy because I need it often.

They are bathing as we speak.

thanks for the help fellas!

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2007, 2:47 PM
Hey Pete don't you know ya ain't suppose to CA the adapters. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D

Couldn't help it Pete.

Jim Becker
02-16-2007, 3:22 PM
Hey Pete don't you know ya ain't suppose to CA the adapters.
It actually shouldn't be necessary with the OneWay adapters as they are tapered to not only provide a precision fit, but in the case of the drums, a solid seal. The fact that you have to move the setscrews to the "release holes" to pry them appart should be a clue to that!!

Pete, if the solvent doesn't work, heat will release the CA.

Pete Jordan
02-16-2007, 3:49 PM
It actually shouldn't be necessary with the OneWay adapters as they are tapered to not only provide a precision fit, but in the case of the drums, a solid seal. The fact that you have to move the setscrews to the "release holes" to pry them appart should be a clue to that!!

Pete, if the solvent doesn't work, heat will release the CA.

Actually, Kevin at Oneway was the one who suggested using CA.

He probably didn't know I was a nitwit and would do it with the adapter attached.

I just can't win!

While waiting for the adapters to "thaw", I thought I would try to use the E-Z vacuum system. The system has a quick connecter set up so I went to the hardware store and bought the quick connect adapter. I now am losing pressure through the connector so I think I need a drink. I thought this vacuum system was supposed to make it easier.

Ed Scolforo
02-16-2007, 6:25 PM
Pete, when I was building my vacuum setup I read somewhere that quick disconnects were notorious for leaking, altho I do see others using them in their setups. Go figure.
Ed

Actually, Kevin at Oneway was the one who suggested using CA.

He probably didn't know I was a nitwit and would do it with the adapter attached.

I just can't win!

While waiting for the adapters to "thaw", I thought I would try to use the E-Z vacuum system. The system has a quick connecter set up so I went to the hardware store and bought the quick connect adapter. I now am losing pressure through the connector so I think I need a drink. I thought this vacuum system was supposed to make it easier.