PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone DC system update

John Miliunas
12-03-2003, 10:58 PM
A week later and I've made some progress. NOT being a tin-bender, by any stretch of the imagination, the going is slow and man, am I getting tired of going up and down them ladders! Anyhow, some of you showed interest in seeing updates, so here they be.

The first shot would be of the rough-in for the DP station. I got the 6" as close as I could and will install some 4" flex for the actual pickup.

The second shot is of the 6" conversion to the jointer. Just took off the 4" port and mounted a 6" starter on a piece of hardboard. Caulked her up and was even able to use the same mounting holes. No other mods to the jointer were necessary.

The third shot is kind of an overview of progress, thus far. As you may note, many of paired up adjustable 90's. :rolleyes: Like I said, I'm no HVAC guy and the layout gets "minor" adjustments as I go. Still, I tried to maintain minimal bends and the flow seems to be pretty good.

The fourth shot is a comparison between the original 4" port on the Bridgewood TS and the area I would be cutting out to fit in the new 6" takeoff. I opted for a square (6.5"x6.5") HVAC takeoff, which actually maximized the available area where the original 4" port was.

The last shot is the HVAC takeoff actually installed. I don't have the pics yet, but I've since then, gotten the ducts to the overhead guard and this particular takeoff and tested it. In a word: WOW! I could NOT see *any* airborne particulate during or after the cut! On the TS itself, I can easily feel the downdraft off the blade area. Also, with the Beis splitter, I was able to put a piece of magnetic vent cover on the big access hole on the back of the saw, where the OEM splitter normally goes. That took care of a huge vacuum loss.

Thus far, a tedious and sometimes trying project, but certainly seems as though it's well worth it! I'm really happy with the Woodsucker and the fittings provided through KenCraft Co. and even the Big Box fittings seem to be working OK. You may also note that each and every single seem has gotten a dose of the aluminum HVAC tape! Again, a noticeable difference as testing/installation continues. Also, I can't say enough about isolating the cyclone on the other side of the shop wall! Unless I'm right near the double-doors to the garage, all I really hear is the "whoosh" of the air through the ducts. It's GREAT! :D I'll try to post more progress pics as I continue, hopefully at the END! :cool:

David Klug
12-04-2003, 12:06 AM
John it looks like you are coming along great. You're going to love the clean shop.

Dave

Terry Hatfield
12-04-2003, 8:25 AM
John,

Nice progress!!! Looks great!!!

I know it's a big job, but all the effeort will be worth it in the end.

Terry