PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
02-16-2007, 6:48 AM
Friday February 16th, 2007

Another cold week is coming to an end. Well, at least cold here. I know some of you are busy digging out from that snow storm. It stayed south of us here. Spring is only a little over a month away. :D

We are supposed to get a warming trend here, which should allow me to get back out to the shop and get something done. :eek: It seems like it's been months since I've been out there.

What's on the agenda for you this weekend? Hopefully, some WW'ing or WW'ing related activities. Whatever it may be make it a good weekend and a safe one. :)

Karl

Guy Germaine
02-16-2007, 7:17 AM
I'll be heading over to see Tom Sontag in the morning to pick up some walnut. Then it's off to Rockler for some glue and BB plywood. Sunday, I'll be driving up to Springfield, IL to pick up a rescued Newfoundland dog and deliver it to a lady in Eureka, MO.

Jim Dunn
02-16-2007, 7:51 AM
I'll be remodeling the laundry room all weekend.:( Not much shop time unless you can count cutting trim:confused: PVC trim at that. Oh well I could be outside in 0 weather.:rolleyes:

Chris Barton
02-16-2007, 8:12 AM
Very cold here as well. Trapped in house with wife and daughter. Must get help. If I can just make it down to the basement and into my shop to get back on life support...

Tyler Howell
02-16-2007, 8:14 AM
Hey Karl,
Cold with promise of warming.
Headed to the lake all next week. Trailer is loaded with EMT, boxes, wire (boy is copper high:eek: ), tools (hydraulic bender and punch:D )
Putting in a new load center and re plumbing the shop.
Going to do a little demo in the house and slop some paint.
Hope to hook up for a little creeker visit.
My favorite view of work is in my rear view window.
370 days till I'm bullet proof. 380 days till I'm free.
Have a great week.
Play safe.
PS I moved that spin thing towards the trailer. If there is room I'm going to drag that up there an set up shop;) .

Al Willits
02-16-2007, 9:12 AM
Pictures Tyler, pictures....:D
Time for a burger fix soon Tyler?

Beasty wants to go to the Home and Garden show this weekend, I said I needed to get the insulation done in the garage, she said we don't have to go then, then she said it again, and once more after that....sooooo I'll be going to the H&G show this weekend....

Got my second "how to build a cabinet" class at Woodcraft tonight.
Also hoping to finish the major part of insulating and putting the poly on the CD storage cabinet and get it in the basement.

Ya all have a safe and well weekend.
Al

Jim Becker
02-16-2007, 9:18 AM
Well...it's my week to NOT do the swimming and karate runs, so I'll hopefully get some shop time in doing "this and that". I want to finish up construction on the mirror I started last weekend and get started on a few other things. "Finishing" will be out of the question due to the cold, but I can set that aside and do some "tool exercise" on new projects.

Jim Flynn
02-16-2007, 9:36 AM
It's cold here as well and with my shop split between a garage and the basement I hope to be able to make progress on my Sapele entry door if I can warm that CU300 up enough in the garage. If not I'll work on veneering some panels for the library in the basement shop. Either way it will be a luxury as we have a light basketball schedule this weekend.

Greg Cole
02-16-2007, 9:45 AM
Going to move the twin mini loft bed from the shop to the basement so I can apply the final finish... cold here too as in the single digits overnight & supposed to be in the 50's-60's by the end of next week. Darn midwest weather this time of year.
I think LOML has opted to NOT go to the home & garden show! WOOHOO for me...LOL. She's headed to Disney with the 5 year old next weekend so she's decided to get ready this weekend.
Daytona 500 on Sunday, so I'll have to dust off the little tv in the shop so I can at least listen in while hopefully practicing some dovetails on the new INCRA RT & Wonderfence.

GO #8.

David Cramer
02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
My 11 year son old won his school Spelling Bee 3 weeks ago, and Saturday is the finals to see who goes to Washington D.C. for Nationals.

Honestly, I don't see him making the final four (which win a trip to Nationals) , because the competition is brutal. He studied a lot, but not compared to what some of these kids do. Kids are so much more advanced and the classes are so much more advanced than when I went to school, it's like 2 different worlds.

My wife and I push reading, writing, arithmetics, science, ect.....over sports anyday. Sports are fun, but it is a rare kid who makes it to the pros these days. Getting a college scholarship on sports is hard enough, let alone making it in the pros. Yes, some will make it, but my son definitely doesn't have that gift.

But, God gave him a retention gift that is down right scary. The kid knew his states and capitals in kindergarten from just reading them. His teacher asked him one day what the capital of Louisiana was and he said Baton Rouge. Then she asked him more and knew them all. Then she called us in class and said how does he know this? We said that we go over them once a week and he enjoys trying to remember and learn things. It's like a game. He thought absolutely nothing of it and still doesn't to this day. The bad part..................he'll tell ya when you "flatulated" and who was present at the time of the flatuation. He didn't get that gene from me. I have a hard time remember yesterday and I'm in my 30's!

Seriously, I am not bragging on him and I hope it doesn't sound that way. It 's just funny to my wife and I, but you'd have to know him to understand. I am just proud of him for making it the state finals and whatever happens, happens. We tell him, just relax and have fun, it's not the end of the world. I just came from Best Buy and purchased a camcorder to record the moment (30G hard drive that I've been saving for). He is setting the stage for his 2nd grade sister who's life motto is "girls just wanna have fun" .........Cindy Lauper's 1980's song. My wife and I could have our work cut out with that one! She's a pistol!!!

Well, now that you know what I'm doing this weekend (with WAY TOO many details!!!), have fun doing what you're doing this weekend too and get some of those "honey do" projects done. Enjoy the weekend and live like there's no tomorrow!

Dave

Doug M Jones
02-16-2007, 7:19 PM
My daughter is coming over with her sewing machine to help me sew the elastic in the necklace pouch on the jewelry boxes I am building for my bosses. They were a Christmas present but all they got was a picture of what they would look like when finished and a promise that they would be done by their birthdays which both happen to be next week.

The seamstress was my overachiever, she's a college senior now and completed her first year of college while still in high school. Not sure where that came from. Enjoy your kids and support them in whatever interests them and you will have good memories for the rest of your life.

Mike Cutler
02-16-2007, 7:25 PM
Putting the finishing touches on a bubinga cutting board for LOML. I need some 1/4" hardwood doweling, ebony would be nice, and simple glue up and I'm done.

Might get a chance to chainsaw down a tree outside the backdoor this weekend. The temps should be cold enough. The ice however... draws the perverbial vacuum.:eek: ;)

Fred Voorhees
02-16-2007, 7:30 PM
Big weekend with the NASCAR racing season getting underway. A number of years ago, I would have been in Daytona Beach this weekend. Oh well. I've been asked to be a guest speaker at a Saturday night pre-Daytona 500 racing party fund raiser at a local firehouse. The event usually attracts around 300 people. I have done this before and was asked again this year to come in and speak about the history of the local dirt tracks and drivers, the various duties I have performed in the sport and anything else that may come up in the open forum. Saturday during the day, I will be doing more finishing work on the sideboard project (almost done!!!) and readying the bar room for the years first Sunday racing gathering with all of the usual suspects. Monday, if the weather cooperates, I hope to get out and split some more firewood.

Michael Pfau
02-16-2007, 8:11 PM
Warmed up to the mid 40's here and sunny, snow is gone here in town. I picked up some qtrswn white oak today. If you all noticed in Wood magizine about 3 years ago,(don't we all keep back issues?) haha...they ran several project plans for a bedroom set. Arts and Crafts head board, night stands, dressers, and hope chest. Well...I am starting tomorrow on the night stands. My lovely wife told me today, to build the whole thing!!!
I will be swimming in white oak for months. Night stands first, then dressers, then headboard, then hope chest. Should be pretty cool when I get done. This amount of work should keep me out of trouble for a while.

Mike Langford
02-16-2007, 8:21 PM
I'm changing a few things around in my shop in between building a couple of shelves for my oldest son. Since I'm a noobie here I have to "spruce up" my shop so I can post some pics here on the creek!:cool:

Here's a few shots of the "old" layout.....

Don Bullock
02-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, I finally have a wekend day, Saturday, that I can devote solely to getting out in the shop (garage) and get some work done out there. To top it off, the temperature is supposed to be in the 80s. The shop should be very comfortable to work in most of the day. I'm hoping to get my first coat of finish on a trophy base that I'm making out of cherry and cut some oak plywood for a couple of projects I'm working on. The first project for the plywood is a top for my drill press stand and the second one is new paneling above my fireplace along with a new solid 6/4 oak mantle. On Sunday I'm planning to watch the Daytona 500, so I'm not sure how much shop time I'll get. Since Monday's a day off for me, I may get some shop time then too. It should be a great weekend.:D