PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Gouges

Burt Alcantara
02-16-2007, 1:19 AM
Bought my first gouge - a .5" Pinnacle bowl gouge. Guess I should have paid more attention as the .5" was the rod, not the flute. In essence, the gouge feels very small and is a pain to sharpen.

Following the various turning books (Raffan, Conover, Rowley) I cannot duplicate their cutting methods because the bevel is so far over. Often, I have to turn the gouge almost upside down.

The other problem is it is very prone to catches.

So, is this a matter of practice or is the gouge just so-so?

I'm turning green face turnings with I think is locust.

Any advice as to sharpening or cutting is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Burt

David Walser
02-16-2007, 7:41 AM
Burt,

The grind on a gouge that comes from the factory is almost NEVER the grind you'll want to use. Your first step with a new gouge is to SHAPE the gouge (i.e., fingernail, swept back wings, etc.). There are many shapes. Which one is "right" depends on how you plan on using the gouge. The second step is to SHARPEN the gouge.

Based on the description of your difficulties with the gouge, I'd guess that the shape of your gouge is wrong. Take a close look at the shape of the gouge in one of the photos in one of your turning books, and try to duplicate that shape on your grinder. Better yet, take your gouge with you to your local turning club and ask someone to show you how to shape and then sharpen it.

Hope this helps. It's hard to describe what to do in words. It's something that's best done in person.

Gordon Seto
02-16-2007, 7:41 AM
It is difficult to comment without the benefit of seeing the grind.
With the exception of Glaser and Ellsworth bowl gouge, almost all bowl gouges are grinded to look good to sell the gouge in stores only. They are expected to be sharpened before using. All grinding jig including the Wolverine Varigrind just helps you maintain the constant angle. You still should know what the final shape you want. You have to control when and where to stop grinding.
Can you post a picture of the grind?

Gordon

Frank Kobilsek
02-16-2007, 9:33 AM
Burt
David and Gordon hit the grind problem. Once you get to the shape/grind you are comfortable width it will be a good tool. For the price I think Pinnacle is a tool line of tools. I do not like the handles though. Too big around and the handles feel lightweight to me. I keep planning to make new handle but have'nt done it.
Frank

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2007, 9:52 AM
Burt I have the pinnacle bowl gouge. First thing I did when I got home with it was to put a Ellsworth grind on it with my wolverine jig. I have not had a problem with it cutting or touching it up on the grinder. I really like it for the price.

Christopher Hunter
02-16-2007, 6:52 PM
I love their tools, but at first had the same problem, I found that the grind was the problem..
I sharpen by hand, so it only took a few minutes of regrinding and I was good to go ...
I own a few of their gouges and a scraper and I plan on buying more in the future ----IMOO of course
--Chris

Bob Hallowell
02-16-2007, 7:00 PM
My first bowl gouge was a pinnacle. It is small 3/8 but it's what I still use for all my finish cuts. It's all what you are used to.

Bob

Burt Alcantara
02-16-2007, 7:51 PM
I'm aware of the different grinds. The difficulty I'm having is the roundness of the rod. To get a decent grind I have to turn the tool way over and then regrind it to a new bevel as I cannot get any way near the factory bevel.

I can shape the outside of a bowl easily and hollow out about a third of the way in. After that I either get no cut or a catch. I have to turn the gouge to about 115 degrees to get any cut at all.

I find myself banging the handle into the lathe bed much too often. Any reason why I can't chop off a few inches?

Thanks,
Burt

Christopher Hunter
02-16-2007, 8:00 PM
Go for it ---
If the handle is too long that will work fine,,
But I think you may be trying to get the factory grind and that will almost never happen with that gouge --
I would just try to get the grind as close to what you are used too and go from there...
Hope this helps
--Chris

Gordon Seto
02-16-2007, 8:35 PM
To get a decent grind I have to turn the tool way over and then regrind it to a new bevel as I cannot get any way near the factory bevel.

Burt,

Don't waste your time trying to duplicate the factory grind. They are meant to be reshaped.
Do a Google search on "bowl gouge grind library"; you will find some close up of usable bowl gouge grinds.
You may also find some grinding information here:
http://oneway.on.ca/multi-media/wolverine_videos.htm

Gordon