PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from fabulous Las Vegas!!!!

Travis Miller
02-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Travis and I wanted to introduce myself to you as well as ask a couple of questions. I live in Sunny Las Vegas and I am currently converting my three car garage into my woodshop. I have enjoyed working with wood and building thing since I was a little tot but have only decided to become serious about this hobby within the last year.

I have started my shop off with a Hitachi C10FL table saw with an INCRA TS/LS fence and router system, a Hitachi C12LSH sliding compund miter saw, two Hitachi M12VC routers, a Delta 22-540 12" planer, a Delta 37-196 6" jointer, a Delta 31-460 belt and disc sander as well as a variety of drills, sanders, saws, clamps and hand tools. Not a professional shop by any means but more than adequite for my needs (at least at this time).

My next purchases will be for a dust control system and a tablesaw upgrade which leads me to my first question. My current table saw blade is not square to the fence. I really didn't notice it until I installed my TS/LS system and have been fighting it ever since. the closest I can get the blade to be square is 1/16th of an inch. This really makes a huge difference when making a long cut. Does anyone have any experience squaring a Hitachi table saw?

My second question is if upgrade my saw, what differences would I see between a 1.75 HP tablesaw vs 3.00 HP tablesaw? I am ready (if needed) to bite the bullet and buy a better saw but like anyone else I want the most bang for the buck. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Please accept my apology for starting my first thread with a question but as a newbie I really don't have much knowlege to share. I have lurked in the shadows here for awhile and really have learned alot. I am looking forward to making many new friends at SMC.

I'm not posting any pics yet as my shop looks like a bomb went off in it. I will get it organized and take picture real soon!

Thanks for listening/reading!

Travis

Chris Bolton
02-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Hey Travis.

Welcome to the Creek. The folks here are so great and I've learned a bunch from everyone here. It's all about making sawdust.

glenn bradley
02-16-2007, 12:56 AM
From the owner's manual it appears you have a sort-of standard contractors saw table mounted trunnion except for the motor being underneath instead of behind the trunnions. Adjustments for these have been discussed various places on the forum . . . let me see . . . here's one I found by doing a search on "fence align"

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7527&highlight=fence+align

There are many more. Fundamentally you loosen the four bolts supporting the trunnions just a bit (they will seem tight as they have the weight of the trunnion and motor hanging from them), tighten one of the bolts enough to use as a pivot point and 'swing' the trunnions left or right to correct your alignment with the miter slots.

That's very simplified but check the threads. If you have trouble PM me and I can bore you with specifics.

Karl Laustrup
02-16-2007, 6:40 AM
Welcome to the "Creek" Travis.

I used to live in Vegas. '89-'93. Had a house on the golf course in Painted Desert. I enjoyed it, but even back then it was getting too hectic for me. Could never set up a shop in my garage. Association rules.

A good cabinet saw with a 3 HP motor would be a good upgrade.

Karl

David Cramer
02-16-2007, 7:41 AM
Welcome Travis!

What would the difference be between and 1.75Hp and a 3Hp motor on a tablesaw? It would be huge to put it lightly. I had that senario up until 2001 when I purchased my Unisaw, with the wife's approval, and they are like night and day.

It will plow through 2 inch material with not so much as a "burp". My contractor saw would not be able to do such. I had actually stop the motor on more than one occassion just sliding sheet goods through at a pace it could not accept (I think it actually threw up on me once!).

They both will cut wood and do a fine job. The 3Hp will do it a lot easier. If you can afford a 3Hp versus what you have, go for it. If not, make with what you have. I did a lot of adjustments on my craftsman for a long time and it still cut fine. But when I could afford the "big boy", I went for it and have never regreted the purchase. My son probably have my saw when I am old and grey and have trouble finding the on/off switch!!! Good luck with your decision and welcome to SawMill Creek. An absolutely great bunch of woodworkers here that will share info like there's no tomorrow.

Dave

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2007, 8:40 AM
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a great shop going there!

Corey

Don Bullock
02-16-2007, 9:51 AM
Welcome Travis. It looks like you are well on your way to having a great shop. I hope you have plans for AC in the summer. Vegas can get very hot. BTW --- I'll be showing my basset hounds out in Las Vegas the first weekend in April.

Travis Miller
02-16-2007, 9:30 PM
Thanks for the great info and encouragement! I finally got a weekend off and am planning on spending it in the shop!

Travis