PDA

View Full Version : Black Mirrors

Frank Corker
02-15-2007, 9:04 PM
Hi folks, I am enquiring if anyone has had any dealings with the 'black mirrors' that are now turning up here and there.

I have just purchased 10 8x10 and when you first see them they look a little 'odd'

The are almost jet black from the front, but the edges, which are bevelled, appear shaded going to normal mirror. The place where I got them use a stencil machine and then sandblast the stensils, the effects are hard to believe. Look here

http://www.malridge.com/info/engravings/black-mirrors.aspx

They sandblast the front and then silver them with a product similar to rub'n'buff. As one of the pieces I got is broken I am going to see what the effects are doing both sides. Should prove interesting and I will let you know how they turn out.

Bill Cunningham
02-15-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm surprized they get that kind of detail in a sandblasted photo! Lasering should produce fantastic results

Frank Corker
02-16-2007, 6:16 AM
Not the way I laser! :) I hope it does or I have a bunch of expensive glass. Unfortunately I haven't seen a completed one other than photographed so it will be interesting to see.

Jim Good
02-16-2007, 9:46 AM
Frank,

Did you get a better price than what is on their website? It looks like their cost includes the engraving. If you ordered blanks, I'm assuming they took better care of you.

I'd be interested in seeing how your finished mirror looks. Give us a peek when you are done!

Thanks,

Jim