PDA

View Full Version : Carbide or HSS jointer knives? Advice please?

Kevin Blunt
02-15-2007, 4:29 PM
Hello,

While I am waiting for my 8" Shop fox Jointer to arrive I was speaking to the dealer and he offered me a good deal on 4 Carbide knives for the jointer at what he says is a great price. Basically teh jointer is a 4 knife cutterhead and his price for the carbide knives would be about $70cdn. His price for HSS knives would be $49cdn. teh price is only $21 more but have heard many say not to purchase the carbide knives because teh cost more to sharpen and are very brittle and will chip off badly if they happened to hit something. Most people I have heard comment in the past about this say to stay away from the carbide but usually the cost difference between HSS and Carbide is much greater. What would you do if you could buy 4carbide jointer knives for $21 more than their HSS counterparts?

Thanks for any advice.
Kevin

Tom Jones III
02-15-2007, 4:41 PM
Before you buy any knives take a look around for better pricing:

http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html
8" x 3/4" x 1/8" T1 - HSS Planer Knife Set of 4 (http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/8_x_3_4_x_1_8_t1_hss_planer_knife_set_of_4.html)
Price is for a set of 4 knives. -- $ 26.00

Jim Flynn
02-15-2007, 4:42 PM
I have never used carbide jointer blades but wish I had a set for hard, high silica content hardwoods such as Ipe. It really tears up HSS but on the other hand on normal hardwoods such as cherry, walnut, etc. the HSS shaper cutters I have and jointer/planer knives leave a better finish. YMMV but at that price I'd pick both up for sure.

wayne ateser
02-15-2007, 4:44 PM
Hello,

While I am waiting for my 8" Shop fox Jointer to arrive I was speaking to the dealer and he offered me a good deal on 4 Carbide knives for the jointer at what he says is a great price. Basically teh jointer is a 4 knife cutterhead and his price for the carbide knives would be about $70cdn. His price for HSS knives would be $49cdn. teh price is only $21 more but have heard many say not to purchase the carbide knives because teh cost more to sharpen and are very brittle and will chip off badly if they happened to hit something. Most people I have heard comment in the past about this say to stay away from the carbide but usually the cost difference between HSS and Carbide is much greater. What would you do if you could buy 4carbide jointer knives for $21 more than their HSS counterparts?

Thanks for any advice.
Kevin
When i looked the cost difference was much greater. I assume thats for a 4 blade set. With either you must avoid hitting a nail or it ruin the blade so whats the diff. I go with the carbide since the price seems so good.

Brad Townsend
02-15-2007, 7:38 PM
If I recall correctly, I paid $116 U.S. for four 8" carbide planer blades, and I shopped around for the best price I could find (Global Tool). As to performance, I've had them in for about six months now and so far, no complaints. At the price you were quoted, that's a heck of deal in my opinion.

Jim Becker
02-15-2007, 8:20 PM
Best practice is to use carbide where it's needed but HHS for the remaining work. Carbide doesn't afford as keen an edge as HHS and is also quite brittle.

robert cohen
02-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Aren't shelix cutters carbide? What makes them the cat's meow?

Ron Blaise
02-16-2007, 7:01 AM
Best practice is to use carbide where it's needed but HHS for the remaining work. Carbide doesn't afford as keen an edge as HHS and is also quite brittle.

On my 15" Plainer and have no complaints on the Carbide Jim. They are knick free and sharp after many board feet of hardwood. As to a sharp edge, well you can shave the hairs on your arm with mine. I would have been hesitant about carbide too but was really surprised at the toughness of the blades. I don't know who makes my blades, they came with the plainer when I bought it used. Just my 2 cents.

Brad Townsend
02-16-2007, 9:37 AM
On my 15" Plainer and have no complaints on the Carbide Jim. They are knick free and sharp after many board feet of hardwood. As to a sharp edge, well you can shave the hairs on your arm with mine. I would have been hesitant about carbide too but was really surprised at the toughness of the blades. I don't know who makes my blades, they came with the plainer when I bought it used. Just my 2 cents. I'll back Ron on this one. You may be able to show a slightly keener edge on a newly sharpened HSS knife, but the advantage disappears very quickly with the first few board feet. I would have removed/resharpened HSS knives several times over the amount of board feet I've run through my carbide knives. Yes, they are more expensive to sharpen, but I suspect I will be paying for it far less often.

Jim Becker
02-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I stand corrected...that was a post-dinner post and I was still under the effects of the yummy coconut Popsicle I had for desert...LOL!