PDA

View Full Version : need pocket hole jig info

Jerry Evans
02-15-2007, 3:09 PM
I want to get into putting pocket screws into my work and have never done it before....would an inexpensive brand name one work and if so which one and where to buy...TIA

glenn bradley
02-15-2007, 3:25 PM
I started with Kreg's mini kit; bit, collar, clamp and single hole jig. About $20 at the BORG. I love it and it is almost fool-proof. If I can recommend, start with the R-3 kit and pick up your own vise-grip clamp or no-name version as this kit does not come with a clamp.

I use a vise-grip type of clamp I got at HF for about $4 much more than I do the supplied clamp.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39535

Luke McFadden
02-15-2007, 3:30 PM
I asked a similar question a few days ago, and I got a great abundance of responses: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51580

I'm probably going to go with the R3 and use my own clamps, like Glenn suggested.

L

Jerry Evans
02-15-2007, 4:07 PM
thank you for your quick responses....I think I will go with the mini for the time being and get a feel for it...then I will know how and what I want to buy to upgrade....thanks again all

Dick Aubochon
02-15-2007, 4:40 PM
Just got my master jig. I tore open the box, breezed through the directions, and made some perfect joints the first try. Now, however, when I make the cherry face frame for my entertainments center, that may be another story.:D

glenn bradley
02-15-2007, 5:52 PM
Jerry,

The R-3 is a more versatile jig but I do love my mini. It's one hole at a time but, you can get that little guy in where others won't go if you're doing repairs or fixing "oopsies" along the way.

Al Willits
02-15-2007, 6:02 PM
Local Woodcraft had the R-3 on sale with a clamp and DVD taped to the box.....it was on sale, I couldn't resist....resistance is futile....besides, it was on sale.
Do like it though.
Al...did I mention it was on sale???

Bob Herpolsheimer
02-15-2007, 6:10 PM
I too have the master jig. I debated long before getting it but it has been one of the best investments I have made. Very easy to use and almost fool proof. I have used it from faceframes to table tops and edge glued boards. I highly recommend it.

Bruce Wrenn
02-15-2007, 10:50 PM
I bought my first Kregg jig at the American Woodworker show in Philly in 1996. My wife was with me. The plane trip back to NC wasn't a total pleasure. Now everytime I use my Kregg on a job, I remind her how much money I make using it. Cheapest way to get an exta bit is to buy the mini for about $20

Peter Schumacher
03-01-2008, 12:40 PM
I just ordered the pocket hole jig at Penn State Industries. Half price sale @ $32.48 plus shipping. I have seen many good reviews on this item.
Peter Schumacher

Bryan Berguson
03-01-2008, 4:39 PM
I bought my first Kregg jig at the American Woodworker show in Philly in 1996. My wife was with me. The plane trip back to NC wasn't a total pleasure. Now everytime I use my Kregg on a job, I remind her how much money I make using it. Cheapest way to get an exta bit is to buy the mini for about $20

Hey Bruce, I think I was at that show. Was it the first American Woodworker show with Norm Abrams there? It was north of Philly, Plymouth Meeting I think. That was a great show. I wish they'd have another one like it.

Bryan

Bruce Wrenn
03-01-2008, 11:10 PM
The show was in the old Honeywell plant. We stayed over in King of Prussia, near the mall once, and over in Jersey the other time. First time, I was teaching school, and my son worked for the airlines. School system paid my expenses and son flew up up there for $3 apiece each way. They also paid me my salary and substitute. Only thing I paid for was wife's meals,and any tools I bought. Bill Hylton had just released his book, "Router Magic." My wife bought me one for my birthday while we were at the show. Best gift she has ever given me, well, second best gift.

Scott Loven
03-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I started out with the mini jig and now have the K3. WOOD magazine did a review of pocket hole jigs a while back and picked Kreg as being the best pocket hole jig at every price point.
Scott

Rich Engelhardt
03-02-2008, 6:47 AM
Hello,
Add me to the Kreg list.
It (the Kreg) is one of those rare things anymore that does exactly what it's advertised to do, right out of the package using the easy to read and understand directions.

Good tip on buying the mini to get an extra bit BTW.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale on one.

J. Z. Guest
03-02-2008, 7:22 AM
Jerry,

I'm was in your shoes once too. I was in the store for about 3 hours deliberating on which Kreg Jig to get. They have one at every price point from $20 to $200. I went with the K3 Master System, and am glad I did. The vacuum attachment is no joke and makes it so much more efficient. Ditto for the extra clamping fixture.

You can't do any more with the K3 Master System as you can with the K3 Standard, but it is quicker & more efficient. (especially on smaller pieces, that you would WANT to clamp in a fixture)

So if you want the nice one, but want to save a few bucks, the K3 Standard is a good option. But if you think you'll upgrade later anyhow, you'll spend less just to get the K3MS from the getgo.

Rob Will
03-02-2008, 9:16 AM
Jerry,

I'm was in your shoes once too. I was in the store for about 3 hours deliberating on which Kreg Jig to get. They have one at every price point from $20 to $200. I went with the K3 Master System, and am glad I did. The vacuum attachment is no joke and makes it so much more efficient. Ditto for the extra clamping fixture.

You can't do any more with the K3 Master System as you can with the K3 Standard, but it is quicker & more efficient. (especially on smaller pieces, that you would WANT to clamp in a fixture)

So if you want the nice one, but want to save a few bucks, the K3 Standard is a good option. But if you think you'll upgrade later anyhow, you'll spend less just to get the K3MS from the getgo.

I agree with Jeremy, go ahead and get the K3 Master system. If you will set it up on a bench with a dedicated drill and a small vacuum, you will use it all the time.
Here is my setup: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=68680&d=1185253189

Rob