PDA

View Full Version : Forgive DUMB questions.

Sammy Shuford
02-15-2007, 1:27 PM
The surch nevers seems to find what i am looking for.

I am gluing up 3 boards to make a 15 inch panel, 48 inches long.
Should I use biscuits to glue up, or just glue?

Ted Miller
02-15-2007, 1:32 PM
Sammy, No such thing as a dumb question, I have been in WW for years and I learn something new everyday. What is the thickness of your wood and what is your project...

Dan Oliphant
02-15-2007, 1:34 PM
Sammy, as long as you are gluing long grain to long grain, the glue will be stronger than the wood. Some like to use biscuits for alignment. If your wood is flatsawn, place the outside boards growth rings down (or up) and place the middle board in the opposite direction. This will make the wide glue up stable over time.

Rob Bodenschatz
02-15-2007, 1:36 PM
I'm one who likes to use biscuits for alignment. If they add any strength, bonus.

Sammy Shuford
02-15-2007, 1:36 PM
15/16 now, plan to plane after glues up.
Non load bearing, a top for an aquarium stand

I will also be gluing up panels that will be the SIDES, and load bearing, but the stress will be along the length of the panel.

Brian Tuftee
02-15-2007, 2:41 PM
I've always been told that modern glues are stronger than the wood they join (for face-to-face or edge-to-edge gluing, but not endgrain). Biscuits and/or dowels will make it easier to align and clamp up your boards though. And yes, be sure to alternate the grain direction in your boards, so if you're looking at the ends, the endgrain looks like /\ \/ /\ \/ /\ not /\ /\ /\ /\ /\, your board will stay flatter.

scott spencer
02-15-2007, 2:51 PM
If you've got a nice tight joint, the glue should be plenty strong. I used to biscuit everything just to be cautious, but I'm just not finding it necessary very often these days. Never had a panel glue up separate either way.

Rob Russell
02-15-2007, 2:54 PM
The value of the biscuits is that they will keep the joint aligned. A set of boards with glue on their edges can be slippery. The biscuits help keep the boards from shifting while you tighten down your clamps.