PDA

View Full Version : scroll saw recommendations please

Mark Pruitt
02-15-2007, 1:05 PM
The LOML came home a day or two ago asking me questions about scroll saws, mostly do I have one (which I don't). I've never owned one and have really never had any interest in one, so I really don't know squat as to which ones are the best, which to avoid etc.

I'd love to buy the LOML a scroll saw, but I want to be sure it's a respectable saw. No bottom of the barrel crap for her!;)

Suggestions please? TIA!

Ken Deckelman
02-15-2007, 1:11 PM
I bought my wife the Dewalt model after she took the SS class at Woodcraft. They are no cheap, but its a great saw!

Aaron Beaver
02-15-2007, 4:13 PM
Hope you get some good responses as I have been looking at them for a long time. Anyone have a Hawk?

Nancy Laird
02-15-2007, 4:47 PM
DeWalt 20" - I have one, it's solid and dependable and I love it!! Wife will too.

Nancy

Bert Johansen
02-15-2007, 4:56 PM
Mark, about a year ago I researched this subject and purchased the Dremel 1680. I believe I paid under $200 at the Orange Box store. It is a very solid performer, all controls up front, and you can't go wrong with this choice.

Adam Bauer
02-15-2007, 4:56 PM
I've got a craftsman and I love it. However I'm not a die-hard scroller so its not getting any abuse. But for its price range <150 bucks its great. Now if your wife is looking to become a serious scroll sawer and will be doing a lot of highly detailed stuff I'd get a better saw. At that point it comes down to how much do you want to spend. A dewalt is a nice saw and will run you a couple hundred bucks, but if you want to really show the LOYL that you care you can buy her a hegner. You can't get much better than one of those, however, you also can't get much more expensive (they range from about 750 to 2500 dollars).

Bob Michaels
02-15-2007, 5:13 PM
DeWalt 20", don't use it much but when I need it, it's there and does the job.

Fred Chan
02-15-2007, 5:15 PM
Buy the Dewalt. Well made, easy to use blade clamps, no need to upgrade in the near future, wish I had bought it in the first place instead of the Delta.

John Terefenko
02-15-2007, 5:48 PM
I am a scroller and have a few saws so I will answer your question with a bit of knowledge behind it. You say you do not want a bottom of the barrel saw but you do not say how much you want to pay. You can pay between $250 to $2500. I will give you the top saws in the price ranges.
$200~ Delta SS350
$450~ Delta P20
Dewalt788
$750~ Excalibur EX21
$900-$1200 ~ Hegner
RBI
$1500-up ~ Excalibur EX30
Eclippse

Now a few notes: The low end Delta is the most reliable of the lower priced saw but uses a different blade holding system than any of the others mentioned except the Delta P20. The mid ranged priced saw are only two players worth considering. There are pro's and con's with them as with all saws. The Dewalts that have been mentioned were having production problems when they shipped manufactoring to Tawain from Canada. There are still some units showing up so that is a crap shoot thing. Unless you can find a Type #1 Dewalt you will virtually have a great saw. The Type #2 are good saws but may have problems and may not.
When you get into the $1000 saw you will not find a bad saw and all are the professional choices. As I said each saw has little quirks but will be less vibration and easier to use. They have better components and motors and come with longer guarentees. I have 2 RBi saws that are my main saws, along with a Dewalt 788 and a Hegner multicut.

For some one looking to get into scrolling and want a good quality saw and do not want to break the bank then either the Dewalt 788 or the Delta P20 are the answer. The Delta uses a belt and pulley system to change speeds as the Dewalt uses electronics. Pros and cons with both. The Dewalt uses thumb screws for blade holders as where the Delta uses a clamp type system to hold the blades. The Delta is a heavyier built saw which makes for less vibration. Want any more questions answered just shout out and can get specific if you want.

Kristina Tompkins
02-15-2007, 7:25 PM
Hi Mark,

My husband bought me the dewalt788. It was not cheap but it is on back order. The saw comes with a light and stand. The Lady at Grizzy stated that they could not keep them on the shelf they were selling so fast. It will be the end of March when it gets here. I CNA'T WAIT!!!!! I saw a guy stand a nickel on it side and turn the dewalt saw on and the nickel never moved, then he cut a piece of wood and the nickel never moved. With the scroll saw I have now if I did that the nickel would be gone, some where on the floor in the saw dust. Your LOML will love you forever! (I hope):)

Kris

Paul Douglass
02-15-2007, 7:45 PM
I got my Dewalt from Tool King off of e-bay. $309. reconditioned. No stand or light, but I didn't want the stand and I don't need the light. The saw looks like it had never been turned on. It is a GREAT saw for the money! I ordered it and it was in my shop in less than a week! In my opinion any cheaper saw will not do you and the more expensive (Hawk, etc.) are just too expensive unless you are a full time scroller..

Roy McQuay
02-15-2007, 7:54 PM
Hope you get some good responses as I have been looking at them for a long time. Anyone have a Hawk?Hi Aaron, I have been scrolling for a few years and used lower end saws for a long time without knowing what a good scrollsaw was like. I decided to buy the RBI Hawk 26" 2 years ago. All I can tell you is I will never need any other brand. It doesn't matter if someone tells me another saw is better because I have a saw that doesn't ever vibrate and always cuts square unless I angle the table. At 90 degrees, the pieces always fall out, even with very thin blades. I can slow the speed down to barely moving and it will still cut thick stock. It was a lot of money, but after I tried it, I thought it was money well spent. Roy

Sam Chambers
02-15-2007, 7:54 PM
Mark:

I bought a Delta SS350 a few years ago, and I wish I hadn't. There was a part broken on the inside, so I took it to the Delta service center - which was all the way on the other side of Atlanta. It took several months to get it back. When I got it back, the repair was poorly done. The upper arm was remounted off center, and hits the main casting about half the time. By the time I noticed the problem (I don't use my scroll saw every day), the warranty had expired on both the saw and the repair. It's been too inconvenient to take the thing all the way back down there, so it's gathering dust in the shop.

Like they always say - Cheap tools end up being the most expensive, because you end up replacing them.

Mike Langford
02-15-2007, 9:04 PM
I have the Delta SS-250

Mark, some things to look for is.....

Variable speed - different woods (hard/soft or thick/thin) cut better at different speeds....you need the speed change option to keep from burning the wood or breaking blades.(although blade breakage is part of the game/fun :D )

Good Hold down - An adjustable tension hold down not the flimsy plastic (usually orange) ones but one you can push down on the material an clamp securely.

Ease of Blade change - Even pro's (which I'm not!) break blades! You want a pinch type of blade clamp that uses straight blades as opposed to the type that uses the blades with pins on each end. You'll have to drill a larger hole to insert the pin type than the straight blade.....when you do inside cuts (some projects will have hundreds :eek: ) you'll appreciate a saw that is easy to remove one end of the blade to insert through the (small) hole and then is easy to fasten back to resume scrolling.

Air hose - Some type of diaphragm or pump to provide a stream of air to blow off your line of cut! (without one you can get pretty light headed in a hurry!;) )

The Delta I have has (surprisingly) electronic variable speed and all the items I mention above and for the money is a good deal (Lowe's has them for $99 bucks) something you might consider as a decent starter saw just in case your LOYL looses interest, then you're not out much, but it's still a good saw to learn on til she moves on to bigger & better......

Mark Pruitt
02-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone! This gives me some much needed guidance. I have no idea if the LOML will get bitten by the scroll saw bug and find herself using it endlessly, or use it a few times and decide it's not for her. But I at least want her to have something nice to use if she's interested.

Gary Keedwell
02-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks everyone! This gives me some much needed guidance. I have no idea if the LOML will get bitten by the scroll saw bug and find herself using it endlessly, or use it a few times and decide it's not for her. But I at least want her to have something nice to use if she's interested.

I bought my wife a nice Hegner scroll saw in the early 90's. She used it for awhile ( couple months) and it has followed us around for 15 years. Every time I suggest to sell it she says " no, maybe I'll take it up again" LOL:( :confused: :rolleyes:

Paul Wingert
02-16-2007, 8:48 AM
I bought my wife a nice Hegner scroll saw in the early 90's. She used it for awhile ( couple months) and it has followed us around for 15 years. Every time I suggest to sell it she says " no, maybe I'll take it up again" LOL:( :confused: :rolleyes:

Gary, be happy about that.. Now she can't give you grief if you buy something expensive for yourself and seldom use it. :)

Ken Deckelman
02-16-2007, 5:46 PM

Mark,
As I mentioned in my first reply, Woodcraft has a great SS class at a very reasonable price. This would be a good investment to see if she like it. Do you have a Woodcraft near you?

Paul Stroik
02-16-2007, 6:06 PM
Mark - You have recieved some good advice here. First question you want to ask yourself is what price range. SS forum sites have the middle of the road SS as Delta P20, Dewalt788. Higher end would Excaliber 21 & 30", Hegner 18v, Hawk G4, and Eclipse. The price on these start at $800.
I use the Hegner 18v and love it. If I were allowed a second SS in the shop it would be the EX21. The WWJ had a review of the the top 4 in '06. I have the PDF file on it if your interested. I remember another write up on the middle of the road SS in the latter part of 06 as well but I can't remember which mag had it. Either WOOD or American WW.
If you can get to a wood show you could get a pretty good show price. That's where I got my Hegner and it came with Magnifying lite, stand, foot switch, extra blade holder and blades for under $1200.