PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy wood in Denver?

Brad Tallis
02-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Hello All-

For those of you in the Colorado area, is there a place in Denver (and surrounding areas) that you recommend for purchasing wood for woodworking?

Specifically, I am looking for mahagony that is priced affordably.

Thank you-

Brad

Geoff Barry
02-15-2007, 2:48 PM
There are a couple of places around the Denver area. I like the Golden Hardwood Emporium - just off 6 in Golden. Google their name, and you'll get a phone/address. They had a large selection, and great prices (and if you're a memeber of the Colorado Woodwker's Guild, which is $30 a year, you get a discount). I've also been to Diverse Hardwoods in Longmont. Both places are run by really helpful guys - Golden was bigger and cheaper -- Longmont had a larger shop in the back (but both can rip, crosscut or plane). If I lived near Longmont, I'd probably go to Diverse Hardwoods first, unless I was looking for such a large quantity of wood that any difference in price was critical. Living in Boulder, both are equidistant from me, so I go to Golden.

I've heard of Centennial Hardwoods and Paxton down in Denver, but never been to either.

Brad Knabel
02-15-2007, 3:08 PM
I moved away from Denver about 4 years ago. But I liked Paxtons off of Colorado Blvd. & I-70. They weren't necessarily the cheapest, but had a good selection and were competetively priced. They often had monthly specials and gave 10% discounts to members of the woodworkers guild plus an additional 10% discount to woodworking students at Red Rocks Community College. (Red Rocks has an excellent program that primarily offers evening classes.)

I heard good things about Centennial as well. There were a few local folks selling "urban" harvested lumber. But I don't think you're going to find a whole lot of mahogany being cut down in the Denver area...

Sue Wise
02-16-2007, 8:30 AM
I have purchased wood from Paxtons, Austins, and Hardwood Emporium. I was just at Hardwood Emporium yesterday. Each has its strong and weak points. Paxton's will cut the wood any size, but it is already planned. Great to see the figure, but I like to keep the thickness when I start a project. Austin's has the largest selection, but customer service leaves something to be desired. Hardwood Emporium is a small business, but the owner is very personable. He has some great specials. I picked up a few boards of 4/4 walnut for $3 something a board foot. Because I am a Red Rocks woodworking student I receive discounts from all of them.

walter stellwagen
02-16-2007, 1:12 PM
I use centenial Just off I 25 and B way> good prices most of what the sell is
unplaned > lots of specials up front . Lots of mahog in back.

Walt

Charlie Black
02-18-2007, 9:42 PM
If you need a road trip out of the big city - you should drive to Gardner CO and check this place out...

http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/011254.php

Regards
CB