PDA

View Full Version : Router procedure question

Dan Forman
02-15-2007, 6:41 AM
I don't have too much experience with routers, so wondering what the best way to go about this is. I need to trim a 5" hole (rough sawn already, just about 1/8" left to trim. It's in a piece of 3/4" particle board melamine that is about 19 x 26", with the hole just a bit off center. I have a 1/4" tempered masonite template which will be stuck to the workpiece with double sided carpet tape (very sticky stuff).

So here is my question: Would this be better accomplished hand held or on the router table. The only straight, flush trimming bit I have with the bearing on top is a big honkin 1 1/8" wide and 1 1/2" long. For the table, I have a 3/4" wide 1" bit. Due to the size of the workpiece, I think I would prefer to go hand held, but which bit would give the best surface? Thanks in advance.

Dan

David Cramer
02-15-2007, 7:32 AM
Dan

Even with the size of your bit, I'd still go hand held. I've done exactly what you are describing before, and the surface left behind was perfect. Absolutely no problem doing it that way in my opinion and I've never had any problems to report doing it that way. Good luck and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Dave

glenn bradley
02-15-2007, 9:34 AM
I'm with David.

Lee Schierer
02-15-2007, 12:40 PM
I would think either way would work just about the same to make this cut.

Dan Forman
02-15-2007, 9:30 PM
Thanks guys, mission successfully accomplished via hand held.

Dan