PDA

View Full Version : Truing up cupped boards without joiner

Greg McCallister
02-15-2007, 5:34 AM
I have a delta 12" planner but only have a 4"joiner (craftsman).
Can one true up a cupped piece of wood with just a planner?

Bob Reda
02-15-2007, 5:50 AM
Folks will say no but heres what I do. I run it on the rails of the cup side until I get a nice wide flat spot on the back. At that point I flip it over and take out the rails and then keep flippng it until done. I've been doing it this way for many years.

Bob

Dan Forman
02-15-2007, 6:17 AM
The Feb 2005 issue of Fine Woodworking (#175) has an article on making a sled for a planer that will allow you to joint on a planer. There is also a video to go along with the article, but you have to be a member of their on line service to view it. You can join just for a month if you want, and download articles to your hearts content.

Dan

glenn bradley
02-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I use a sled. Just a piece of particle board with a bunch of holes in it where I have placed short screws to support the wobble-points of the offending material and a block attached to the front so the planer draws the material and sled both through. Super simple. There's a picture of it in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51308

Scott Pearson
02-15-2007, 5:03 PM
The Feb 2005 issue of Fine Woodworking (#175) has an article on making a sled for a planer that will allow you to joint on a planer. There is also a video to go along with the article, but you have to be a member of their on line service to view it. You can join just for a month if you want, and download articles to your hearts content.

Dan

I built that planer sled and have used it alot. However, it is big and heavy and I have had problems with the size.

I have seen some other options that I plan on trying. One is taking a piece of particle board and hot-gluing shims and the board to be planned onto it and then sending it through. It should be lighter and hold the board better.

You may want to search around for some other planner sled ideas, but the theory is sound its just how you carry it off.

Scott

Scott Pearson
02-15-2007, 5:05 PM
Glenn, your sled looks like it could be worth a try. It looks a lot lighter then mine.

Scott

glenn bradley
02-15-2007, 5:48 PM
Scott,

Maybe just 'cause this one is short. I have a longer one and it does kinda get heavy. Usually the material will sit still if I compensate for the wobble well. If it is questionable, I'll use hot glue or double-stick tape. Once under the rollers, if supported well, the lumber doesn't want to go anywhere except through.

Dan Forman
02-15-2007, 8:02 PM
Don't overlook the fact that you can also use a handplane to flatten the face of a board enough to run it through the planer. Doesn't need to be perfect, just good enough, as the planer will take care of the rest when you filp the board and feed it through again.

Dan

Greg McCallister
02-17-2007, 8:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the info.
Man I love this forum!