PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Shootout (Need Feedback)

Matt Lentzner
02-15-2007, 4:32 AM
I'm lookin to get a drill press. It seems like a 3/4 HP Floor model is the way to go. I shop, for the most part, on Amazon, and have included all the presses in that class they carry.

Here's the rundown:

Floor Model Drill Presses (3/4HP, 5/8" Chuck)
DP Maker $$$+Ship $Tot Rating Notes (swing, min-max speed, spindle travel, other features)
Grizzly $250+$73 $323 12x4.5 (14" 140-3050 3.125")
Fisch $380+$0 $380 2x5.0 (17.5" 215-2720 4" feat: free forstner bits)
Jet-15 $381+$0 $381 1x4.0 (15" ?-? ?" feat: Lamp)
Jet-17 $425+$0 $425 40x4.0 (16.5" 200-3630 4.375" feat: Lamp, Adj Spring, $25 rebate)
Delta-965 $365+$99 $464 51x4.5 (16.5" 215-2720 4.875" feat: $50 coupon)
Palmgren $503+$0 $503 2x5.0 (17" 280-3080 5" feat: runout under .0005")
Delta-968 $529+$0 $529 3x4.5 (16.5" 200-2500 4.875" feat: variable speed, Lamp, $50 coupon)

The Grizzly is the cheapest, but the spindle travel is pretty short and I am always a little wary of Grizzly since I always hear stories about lower build standards and some quality control issues.

The two major players seem to be the Jet-17 and the Delta 17-965. The Delta is about $40 more, but it has the better ratings and better spindle travel. Delta seems to have quality control issues also in general, but with 51 ratings with a 4.5 star average it doesn't seem to be a problem with the particular unit.

The Palmgren is intriguing because of the best spindle travel and guaranteed low runout. They seem to make good stuff although I have heard they are getting out of the woodworking business. I don't want to get stuck with a machine that I can't get parts for later.

The most expensive is the variable speed Delta. It seems like the same press as the 965 except with a variable speed feature and an integral worklight. Are those two features worth an extra $65? I'm only a weekend warrior so having to move belts is not going to slow me down all that much.

I'm really leaning toward the Delta-965. It is well reviewed and the included coupon makes the price very competitive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Matt

Norman Hitt
02-15-2007, 6:02 AM
Matt, there is one other that you might want to look at, and that is the Steel City 17" Floor Model, (or they have bench top models also IIRC). This DP has got several good reviews on other forums and has a lot of nice features for a woodworking DP, ie; Spindle lock (which I really like on my old DP and most new ones don't have that feature), 200 to (can't remember the top speed) RPM, 6" Quill travel, etc. They also make one for Sears, but I understand the fit and finish isn't "Quite" as good and the knobs are cheaper. I also understand that they are currently priced at $469 but have a $75 rebate until sometime in March. There is a pictorial on their website showing them from arriving in a box thru uncrating and assembly, and of course all the specs and I think a dealer list.

Good Luck, and have fun shopping

Bryan Hunt
02-15-2007, 7:13 AM
Did you happen to check the details of the Amazon $50 discount? I have had a Delta 20-959LX on order for a month that hopefully qualifies for that same discount. I clicked on the details and found that they email you a promotonal code that can be used on a future purchase, and that code expires 30 days from receipt of the code. As long as you (we) plan on making a near future purchase from Amazon, it's pretty cool.

Bryan

Kyle Kraft
02-15-2007, 7:35 AM
I bought the 17" Jet several years ago, and haven't run out of spindle travel yet. I think if I was currently in the market to buy, I would give the Steel City unit some very serious consideration.

Don Bullock
02-15-2007, 9:33 AM
While I'm not in the market currently for a drill press I echo those saying to look into the Steel City drill press. It has 6" of quill travel that many others don't have. All reports that I have seen on the quality of their equipment are very positive. The rebate ends March 31. Check their website to see if there is a dealer near you.

Jim Becker
02-15-2007, 9:36 AM
Ditto what Kyle said...my Jet 17 has been in the shop since about 1998 and it's always done what I needed.

Ted Miller
02-15-2007, 10:08 AM
I have the Jet 17" with 4 5/8 quill travel, its old and noisy, but no run out on the spindle, 3/4 hp...

Nancy Laird
02-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Matt, please don't overlook or discount the Steel City. The 6" quill travel can mean a great deal on some projects. The rebate is good until March 31, and I know they are in stock at our favored supplier, www.woodworker.com (http://www.woodworker.com). I don't know where you are, but if you are in or near a "larger" city, there should be a distributor in your area.

Nancy

tim mathis
02-15-2007, 10:16 AM
hi matt, i looked at the same ones you are looking at online & at lowe's & home depot & woodcraft and sears. they are nice drill presses. if you could see them in person that might help you make up your mind. after about a month of looking myself i looked at the steel city 17 inch. it is very heavy 227 # & 6 inch quill travel . the quill travel was very important to me ( have you ever drilled a hole and could not drill all the way through the piece so you measure and drill from the other side and the holes don't exactly line up.) i have owned mine since december and it is outstanding. i have used it heavily on wood and metal with no problems and no noise , or vibration or rattles. it is worth adding to your list. check their site to see if they have a dealer around you.
tim in centerville , ohio

Sam Blanchard
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey Matt, a vote for the Fisch here. I picked up a floor/demo model at a WW show here in SoCal a couple of years back (at somewhat less than the price you quoted) and it's performed very well. Has a nice large table, easy belt tension adjust and low runout. What can I say - it drills great holes.
I've never had a Grizzly DP, but I do have their G0586 and from my admittedly limited perspective, QC is not an issue. Fit&finish on my Griz was excellent and their customer service is a pleasure to deal with. Fine company with quality products.:)

Eddie Darby
02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Delta have two new drill presses coming out that are for woodworkers. Check there site under "new products".

Matt Lentzner
02-15-2007, 3:55 PM
I added the Steel City DP to the mix (thanks guys for the tip) and added another column for the price less rebates/coupons. They are listed in order of increasing price with rebates and coupons included.

I'm giving full credit for the Amazon Delta coupon since my wishlist is as long as your arm. It will get used. Immediately :cool: .

Here's the rundown:

Floor Model Drill Presses (3/4HP, 5/8" Chuck)
DP Maker $$$+Ship $Tot $Rebate $Final Rating Notes (swing, min-max speed, spindle travel, other features)
Grizzly $250+$73 $323 $0 $323 12x4.5 (14" 140-3050 3.125")
Fisch $380+$0 $380 $0 $380 2x5.0 (17.5" 215-2720 4" feat: free forstner bits)
Jet-15 $381+$0 $381 $0 $381 1x4.0 (15" ?-? ?" feat: Lamp)
Jet-17 $425+$0 $425 $25 $400 40x4.0 (16.5" 200-3630 4.375" feat: Lamp, Adj Spring, $25 rebate)
Delta-965 $365+$99 $464 $50 $414 51x4.5 (16.5" 215-2720 4.875" feat: $50 coupon)
Delta-968 $529+$0 $529 $50 $481 3x4.5 (16.5" 200-2500 4.875" feat: variable speed, Lamp, $50 coupon)
SteelCity $469+$99 $568 $75 $493 SMC* (17" 215-2720 6" feat: micro adj. stop)
Palmgren $503+$0 $503 $0 $503 2x5.0 (17" 280-3080 5" feat: runout under .0005")

Knowing that Delta may be coming out with some new models may encourage me to wait. The deals should get even better when the old lines are discontinued. There are so many Delta DPs out there that I don't worry about long term support with such a large installed base.

The Steel City looks like a great machine, but I wonder if the 1 1/8" extra spindle travel is worth the extra $79. If I can find a local dealer and pick it up myself then it becomes very attactive. In that case, the premium is only $20 which seems like a "no-brainer".

Thanks for your help so far,

Matt

David Cramer
02-16-2007, 9:41 AM
Does anyone know what the projected price will be on the new Delta's? I too am in the market for one and would like to make that purchase by spring. I want to start doing pens and the 6" quilll travel is a little enticing to say the least. Are the new deltas going to be a lot more, or are we looking at a small difference. Thanks!

Dave

Jeff Watson
02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
They already have them listed on amazon.com. It has a 20" swing with 6" quil travel. Do a search for Delta 20-959LX. They also have a table that pivots down in the front. Also variable speed controls so no belts to change. One has a laser and one doe not. Really the next level up from what Matt is currently looking at, but they look really nice to me.

John Eaton
02-16-2007, 11:08 AM
I have the HF 43389-8VGA with these stats:

Motor: 1 HP
Volts: 120
Amps: 12
Speeds: 200, 290, 350, 430, 500, 580, 640, 720, 800, 870, 1440, 1630, 2380, 2540, 3600 RPM
Table: 13-3/4'' diameter
Spindle taper: MT 2
Spindle stroke: 2-3/4''
Chuck capacity: 1/8"-5/8''
Swing: 17"
Overall height: 64-7/8''
Base size: 20-1/4'' x 13-1/2''
Column diameter: 3-5/32''
Shipping weight: 192 lbs.I've owned it for 2 years - the retail price is $289 but it is almost always on sale for $189 and sometimes for $159. I bought it at the cheap price plus had a 20% off coupon - The drill press has worked flawlessly for me - the only issue I've had is the older model had rods connecting the up/down wheel that back themselves out. The newer models have replaced the entire wheel with one cast in metal so they've fixed this design flaw. I've heard a few that have complained about the unit, but I think they just got a dud - if you have a HF near you it's something to consider.

-- John

Kurt Forbes
02-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Here's the rundown:

The Steel City looks like a great machine, but I wonder if the 1 1/8" extra spindle travel is worth the extra $79. If I can find a local dealer and pick it up myself then it becomes very attactive. In that case, the premium is only $20 which seems like a "no-brainer".

Matt
Yes the extra quill travel is worth more than that
quill travel> than everything else except for runout IMHO

Don Stanley
02-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Matt, I have owned the Delta 17-965 for the past several years. It is has been good drill press, but I have had a couple of minor issues with it.

- The first chuck had a rough spot, and had to be replaced! The 5/8 chuck is driven onto the #2 Morse Taper spindle with a block of wood and a hammer. I couldn't get it off to replace the chuck. The #2 Morse Taper on the Delta does not have a slot for a removal tool, or a tool of any kind. Long story short, I let the Delta Service center replace it.

- Major problems with the power switch. Had to replace it two times. Intermittently, the push button switch would not push in. Delta replaced it, even though the machine was out-of-warranty. I think this problem has been resolved.

- Not a problem, rather a gripe. The table raising handle is plastic. Feels flimsy! The pulley cover is plastic, and tends to rattle.

- The nifty push-button depth stop nut is not reliable. The first one had missing threads!

- Speed range is okay, but I would prefer the high speed to be a little higher; it's around 2700+RPM, where others are in the 3000RPM range.

+ Smooth running machine, Little if any vibration.

+ Long quill travel

+ Quill Lock (most low end drill presses do not have a Quill lock. I USE MINE ALL THE TIME! Interesting note: I noticed that Sears had a 15" drill press with a quill lock; appears to be a new product.

In summary, the Delta 17-965 is a good choice!

Here is a link to Epions rating:
http://www99.epinions.com/content_94875717252

-Don

Thomas Canfield
02-17-2007, 1:09 AM
One feature you should check is the spindle lock to hold the spindle in a lowered position. I am not familiar with all the models listed, but some of my fellow woodworkders have complained that they could not lock the spindle in the lowereed position with their units (Grizzley and Ridgid I am thinking). I have a Delta and it has a good locking feature, and all the previous Deltas (bench and floor units) that I owned had that feature. It is handy when trying to set the depth gauge and also for use with sanding drums. Something to consider.

David Wambolt
02-17-2007, 1:38 AM
I have the Delta 20-959LX on order with Amazon, but I'm going to cancel it. I just bought a Delta 17-950L for $350 shipped and you get a $50 code. I spent some of the saved money on a Palmgren 6" cross sliding vise since I'll be using this for steel and wood. I was out the door for a bit over $520 and then I can knock $50 off for that promotional code. I can't wait until May/June for the nicer Delta. I may buy it at a later date - but right now I think the 17-950L will get the job done. I wish it had 4-7/8 instead of 3-7/8 quill stroke, but it does have a quill lock and I can get by with 4" of quill travel. I have a bench top drill press with a laser and I have to say it's quite handy, so I wanted that feature. If I ignored that feature, I would have bought the Steel City.

Jeff Wright
02-17-2007, 7:36 AM
. . . I have a bench top drill press with a laser and I have to say it's quite handy, so I wanted that feature. If I ignored that feature, I would have bought the Steel City.

Steel City drill press has an optional laser for ~ $39.00. I'm told it is a Steel City add-on and not an aftermarket.

Keith Webster
02-17-2007, 7:53 AM
I have the Ridged from HD. Sure I bought it from the big box store but I looked at all models just like you are doing. They all seem to have the same options. What sold me was the price (279.00), The lifetime warranty, and a nice little light. Assembly was easy. Now it is only a 1/2 hp but I have yet to strain the motor. Here is a link.

http://ridgid.com/Tools/15inch-Drill-Press

Keith Outten
02-17-2007, 8:57 AM
I am a big fan of milling machines rather then drill presses. I have owned several drill presses through the years, none have been as versitle as a bench mill for shop work whether it be woodworking or metalworking. Normally a drill press isn't made to accomodate side loading which makes a sanding drum and small routing tasks less of an option. A mill drill is designed for both side and downward loads plus the adjustable XY table is a real handy feature.

Just a thought...

Steven DeMars
02-17-2007, 10:53 AM
A Delta 70-200 is a workhorse . . . . Will allow you to do simple milling operation on wood and plastic. . . . Huge table, 5/8" chuck, large motor. Also base table with t-slots . . . .

Don Stanley
02-17-2007, 12:11 PM
One feature you should check is the spindle lock to hold the spindle in a lowered position......

I presume a Spindle Lock is what I call a Quill Lock; usually a small lever withing finger reach of the spindle lowering handle. Most drill presses have a method for holding the spindle/quill in the lowered position, but NOT locked. These mechanism work, but are generally not as easy to use.

I have read articles about do-it-yourself modification to add a quill lock to your dill press; some drilling is required! Maybe someone on the forum has more knowledge and experience on this.

One advantage in using a spindle lock is to hold your stock in position while you clamp it down to the table. Center the pointed bit in the pre-punched hole, flip the spindle lock, and use both hands to install the clamps. And it makes it easy to position sanding drums.

Just my .02 cents worth!

-Don

Christopher Stahl
02-17-2007, 3:11 PM
I also have the Jet 17MF and it done everything I've asked it to do.

Matt Lentzner
02-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Does the Steel City press have a quill lock? I don't think so and that may make the final decision in favor of the Delta. With a spindle travel of almost 5" it is still respectable in that department. Also, SC is a new company so they don't have a track record to back them up.

I looked at Drill/Mill machines. I like the idea of having a milling machine, but they are pretty pricey. They start at $1K. Specifically, Grizzly has a wood/metal mill that looked really cool, but out of my price range for now.

Once I am independantly wealthy I will take another look at getting a milling machine.:D

Matt

Thomas Canfield
02-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I presume a Spindle Lock is what I call a Quill Lock; usually a small lever withing finger reach of the spindle lowering handle. Most drill presses have a method for holding the spindle/quill in the lowered position, but NOT locked. These mechanism work, but are generally not as easy to use.

I have read articles about do-it-yourself modification to add a quill lock to your dill press; some drilling is required! Maybe someone on the forum has more knowledge and experience on this.

One advantage in using a spindle lock is to hold your stock in position while you clamp it down to the table. Center the pointed bit in the pre-punched hole, flip the spindle lock, and use both hands to install the clamps. And it makes it easy to position sanding drums.

Just my .02 cents worth!

-Don

Don is right that the lock should be something available to lock the spindle in the down position. It is very helpful in setting a guide or stop for repetitive holes or making minute adjustments to hold the material after locating the center with the bit. Why it is not a feature of all drills is beyond comprehension, when it is a simple addition that would not add $2 to the manufacturing cost (unless the adjustable set screw used by Delta is patented or something). The depth lock and set on the bench top Delta drills is different, but still allowed locking the bit in a down position.

Mike Heidrick
02-18-2007, 1:36 AM
Steel City drill press has a quill lock and can lock it all the way at the 6" extension. Tried it tonight - works great.

Eddie Darby
02-18-2007, 9:52 AM
This page has a video demo of the Delta drill press:

https://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=27035

David Wambolt
02-21-2007, 12:42 AM
I just wanted to post that I received the Delta 17-950L drill press today. It has a 17" swing, 1/2hp motor, 3-7/8" quill stroke, 3000 max RPM, laser, large woodworking table with t-slots, and weighs in at about 200lbs.

For $350 - $50 Amazon promotional code for a future purchase it's an excellent drill press. Mine was built well, and runs very smoothly. No groaning or significant vibrations to report. I still have the new 20" Delta with VS and Digital Readout on order with Amazon, but for the price this is a nice unit.

I bored some 3/8" holes in 1/8" steel tube without any issues. The runout is next to none and the chuck isn't bad. Mine is smooth from full close to full open, though I'll probably order a keyless chuck to install.

I just figured I'd post if anyone was looking for a budget machine that is built better than most in this price range. The laser also works very well and it's extremely simple to adjust.

Matt Lentzner
03-03-2007, 2:47 AM
I had decided that I was going to get the SC DP, but I just noticed the Delta is now being offered on Amazon for $385 out the door - free shipping and of course, no tax. I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger.

Also, if anyone was looking at the Delta, that's a hell of a deal.

Matt

Chris Barnett
01-18-2009, 6:59 AM
Went through the same analysis and bought the 20-inch floor 1-1/2 hp Grizzly due to much larger table, seemingly stronger and confidence that they would be in business in a few years if I needed parts. I also looked at the Delta, the Steel City and the Harbor Freight, and looked at paperwork on all I could find on the web. All actually seen were within the same price range. Decided against the Delta after I looked at one, and against the SC since it had a small table and smaller motor and against the HF since parts might be an issue.

The Griz has 4-3/4-inch quill travel, slightly less than 6-inches on the SC; I have only one bit with flutes 6 inches long, so the extra travel would be wasted on me. Have not checked the runout but seems there is none. Bought a new DP due to excessive runout on my bench DP, plus once in a while, without warning, the bit would cant and drill at a slight angle throught the work. Still glad I bought the Grizzly.

Nelson Bradley
01-18-2009, 6:15 PM
Does the Steel City press have a quill lock? I don't think so and that may make the final decision in favor of the Delta.

It has a quill lock, I use the on on my Steel City all the time.

Maurice Ungaro
01-18-2009, 6:29 PM
Since this thread is coming on 2 years old, and folks are still looking at this for DP analysis, I'll put a plug in for variable speed.
It's very sweet to be able to switch out from a big forstner bit to a brad point and not have to :

Open the motor cover
Change the belt position
Close and latch the motor cover

Instead, with the motor running, I dial in the speed. Done.

For what it's worth, I've had the Delta 968 for 5 years and it does everthing I'd ever want it to do. The depth stop is great, and the quill lock is something I would not want to do without.