PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Ball

Rob Overton
12-03-2003, 5:06 PM
:confused: I need to turn a wooden ball. It should be about 3" in diameter. Never have done this. How should I begin this project???
Thanks for any information you can give me. I do not want to go down and buy another book or video :D Rob Overton

Todd Burch
12-03-2003, 5:41 PM
Go to your closest arcade, miniature golf arcade room or shopping mall arcade. For about 35 cents, you can get about 6 hard maple balls from the skeeball machine. They might be a little scuffed up though.

Todd.

Jim Becker
12-03-2003, 5:49 PM
The Summer 2003 issue of American Woodturner (the magazine of the American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org) ) features a great article on turning spheres. Folks who have tried this method report very positive results. If you are not a member, check at the AAW site for a local chapter near you and start attending the meetings. One of the members can probably help you out with the article, too, by lending you a copy of the publication. Some of the better libraries may also subscribe and have it on file for your enjoyment. If you are a turner...consider joining this organization. The annual cost is more than worth the magazine alone!

Charles McKinley
12-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Hi Rob,

I think that Dominic Grecko (sp) posted a tutorial on this. Check the archives.

Good Luck

Ernie Kuhn
12-03-2003, 11:26 PM
:confused: I need to turn a wooden ball. It should be about 3" in diameter. Never have done this. How should I begin this project???
Thanks for any information you can give me. I do not want to go down and buy another book or video :D Rob Overton

Rob,
Go to this site:
www.geocities.com/erynthegrey/rob/woodensphere

I think it's just what you are looking for.
I had it bookmarked.
Ernie

Dominic Greco
12-04-2003, 7:38 AM
Hi Rob,

I think that Dominic Greco (sp) posted a tutorial on this. Check the archives.Close on the spelling. But not quite! :)

Rob,
I posted something a couple of months back about how easy it was to turn a sphere. Here is the link to the original post

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=3345&highlight=spheres

It actually is quite easy. I have collected several articles on this from various WW websites if you want a copy.

After you make the necessary cup center for your chuck, and corresponding cup center for your live center, the rest all falls in place. I can knock out (6) 3" diameter spheres in under an hour. That includes sanding.

Drop me a line if you interested in the articles.

Rob Overton
12-04-2003, 9:38 AM
It is so nice to ask a question and get an answer. Thanks to everyone for your help. :D Rob

Russ Filtz
12-04-2003, 3:02 PM
Also, you can try your local Hobby Shop (sewing, crafts, etc.). I bought some fairly large oak egg shapes there for dresser legs, but I think they also have spheres.

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-05-2003, 7:34 PM
Rob, unless you just want to turn one, you might look at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I don't know if they've got 'em that big or not, but they've got quite a few different sizes.

KC