PDA

View Full Version : homemade lathe pic....interesting

mike fuson
02-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Thought some of you guys might like to look at this homemade lathe
http://www.mimf.com/articles/lathe/index.htm
This looks like something I would have done years ago.

Bill Boehme
02-15-2007, 12:48 AM
That is really barebones, but it would work for small diameter stuff.

Bill

TYLER WOOD
02-15-2007, 9:44 AM
Yeah trying to find info on building a lathe, I have some across that one more than I care to admit. There is also and old on emade with cam shafts from a car for the head stock. I saw on as well that a college kid had made. I think he did a fine job.

If you want to see a behemoth of one as Gordon Seto or I to pm you the post from another forum to see the pic of it. 30" swing 52" bed, but the laugher is the 1 1/2 hp motor to run it. Build a monster but powered by gerbils!

Paul Engle
02-15-2007, 9:45 AM
Great idea , only change I would make is to mount the two pillow blocks on a piece of plate steel as the wood moves it tends to strain the brgs in the pillow blocks causing drag from slight miss alignment( but thats just the machinist in me ) other wise it looks good.

Jim Becker
02-15-2007, 9:47 AM
One of the very early issues of WOOD Magazine featured a shop-built lathe. Marlen Kemmet, one of the editors, has one in his home shop and I've turned on it. Quite impressive, honestly! Wooden ways and construction, but very adaptable. I don't think I'd want to use one for any kind of heavy work, but for smaller stuff, it really, really works well! (It is a "full size" machine, however)