PDA

View Full Version : Jointer H E L P!

Warren White
02-14-2007, 10:14 PM
OK, I have done it again. I started to edge joint two boards, about 2 feet long and 6 inches wide, 1/2 inch thick.

Started with the outfeed table at an equal height as the knives (as determined by taking an 1/8 inch off a soft piece of redwood and raising the outfeed table to match). I believe my infeed and outfeed tables are coplanar (as measured with zero cut and using an expensive straightedge across both tables. Pressure on the infeed until there is sufficient wood on the outfeed and transfer the downward pressure to the outfeed.

I marked the length of the edge with chalk so I would know when the entire edge was jointed. It took many passes at 1/32 per pass.

OK, get ready to laugh.....

I now have a board that is 6 inches wide at one end and 4 1/2 inches wide at the other end!

What in heaven's name am I doing wrong?

Thanks! This just ain't right....

Warren

Jim Dunn
02-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Too much pressure on your infeed hand? Just guessing as my jointer and I are still becoming freindly:)

Roy McQuay
02-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi Warren, I would guess, to get that far off, your board must have had a wider middle than end. When you started jointing the edge you probably pushed down on the end, which raised the other end and therefore removed a lot more stock at one end than the other. I always sight down both edges to see if one edge is straighter than the other and joint the straightest edge and then rip the other edge on my tablesaw. If I must joint a curved edge, I try to start cutting at the high spot.

Warren White
02-14-2007, 11:26 PM
I think that must be it. I would rather it be the wood than the idiot running it through the jointer.

(OK, it isn't the wood's fault that I am an idiot. I should have jointed it properly after making sure it wasn't concave or convex. Concave; joint the ends first. Convex; joint the middle first.)

I appreciate the help.

Warren