PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Rabbits

Ken Kirkeby
12-03-2003, 3:34 PM
Newbie here so don't laugh. When cutting some rabbets for a couple of projects, I used my router table instead of my dado set. For the 1/2" rabbit I used a 3/4" bit and set it accordingly. I've noticed on both hard and soft woods that the edge of the rabbet next to the router fence is chipped. Is using a router table not a good idea for cutting rabbets or is technique? The bit appears to be sharp.

Ken

Bob Lasley
12-03-2003, 3:52 PM
Ken,

There are several things you can do to lessen the chip out. Use a zero clearance fence. You can make one by just clamping a piece of MDF to your router table fence. Clamp on end of your fence to the table and then slowly bring the fence into the spinning bit. This will cut a hole in the MDF the exact size of your bit. Clamp the fence down and you're ready to cut. Try taking a very light cut first by just having about 1/16 of your bit exposed from the fence. Using a spiral bit will also help. None of these will completely eliminate chip out, but will help reduce it.

Good luck,
Bob

Dave Richards
12-03-2003, 3:57 PM
Do you have much trouble with hare in your router? :D Sorry.

Actually, a router bit can be a great tool for cutting rabbets. It depends on the type of bit, though. You might fin that a bit with a better bottom cleaning action such as a mortising bit may work better. You might also find you have better luck if you make the rabbet in several passes by incrementing the fence back a little for each cut. You can clamp stops behind the fence at the desired depth of the rabbet and then move the fence in a bit to take of, say, 1/8" to 3/16" at a time. Moving the fence is better than moving the router because the router bit stays in one spot.

Good luck.

Edited to add, Bob has a good suggestion with the zero clearance fence.

Tom Hintz
12-03-2003, 4:27 PM
In addition to the other suggestions, too high of a feed rate can also cause chipping as the bit is taking too big a bite.
I suspect you will fix your prolbem with the fence ideas but you still have to pay attention to feed rate as well.

Ken Kirkeby
12-03-2003, 4:39 PM
Thank you gentlemen!

1. Zero clearance fence.
2. Small cuts as oppose to all in one pass.
3. Slow down.

Got it!