PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox w1741 8" jointer cord replacement question.

Kevin Blunt
02-14-2007, 7:20 PM
Hey guys,

just recently there has been some talk about the SF w1741 jointer and after my research I have decide to put a deposit on one and am now waiting for the jointer to arrive.

I understand that there has been some question as to whether or not the power cord(s) supplied is a heavy enough gauge and have heard many owners say that they replaced the cord before thay began using it. The display model had a 16gauge cord on it and it is rated 3hp at 18amps/ 220v. I have heard from someone (can't remember where) that the cord is now 12 gauge as SF realized their mistake and have since corrected it.

I am thinking that I would like to replace the cord from the get go as well but am not sure if it is tricky or not. Basically there is a mounted switch above the table going into the cabinet which is connected to the magnetic switch which is connected to the motor etc etc.

My two main questions are this.

1) Is it tricky at all to replace the power cord(s) with a heavier gauge, or is it just basically matching up wires from where they come off of and installing the same colour back in it's place with heavier gauge.

2) Is it necessary to replace all the cords to a heavier gauge or does the cord that runs from the above-the-table switch to down inside the cabinet to the magnetic switch not matter.

I know some of the guys have done this and it would really be great to hear from them on what and how they did it. I am thinking that I will replace the cord with 10 or 12 gauge when the jointer is being set up.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone that could provide me info.

Thanks,

Kevin

Joe Chritz
02-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Short answer is

1: No

2: It depends.

Power has to run through all the cords and if it is not rated correctly you could have a problem.

12 gauge is fine for a power cord with 18 amps.

The borg will have the correct rubber coated cable and ends if you decide to go that route.

Good luck

Joe

Ted Miller
02-15-2007, 12:18 PM
What Joe said, My 12" jointer is 220v and it has a #12 cord and of course I changed the plug since I use 30 amp 220 plugs in my shop. My cord length is only 6', if I had to go longer like 10-12 ft then I would upgrade to a larger SO...

Lars Thomas
02-15-2007, 1:20 PM
1) Is it tricky at all to replace the power cord(s) with a heavier gauge, or is it just basically matching up wires from where they come off of and installing the same colour back in it's place with heavier gauge.

I swapped out the cord on my Grizzly G490 (8" Jointer), the clone of yours. No issues. Very easily done

Kevin Blunt
02-15-2007, 4:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.